PDA

View Full Version : Guillen's Manager of the Year Campaign...

WinningUgly!
02-22-2004, 12:33 PM
It has to start somewhere, right?

I love Ozzie Guillen & the Ozzie Guillen hiring. I really don't understand why so many Sox fans are lining up & rooting for Ozzie to fall on his face. He's a fun guy to be around & seems to already be injecting life into a team that has been emotionally dead over most of the last 3 seasons. It's still VERY early into spring training, but Ozzie has been saying all the right things (since his Thomas comments) and has done a great job developing his relationship with the media.

I'm really just annoyed at the constant Ozzie bashing. I understand the anti-Reinsdorf/Williams feelings, but not why they are being taken out on Guillen.

Ozzie will make a big difference with the team this season. I see him as the type of manager that will be able to get more out of less, rather than the less out of more, we've seen over the last few years. I'm sure most of the Ozzie haters will come around eventually.

He's gonna own this town. :D:

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm with you.

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Besides the initial press conference, which was more just Ozzie's reactions to what he'd heard about Frank, not his personal experience with him, Ozzie has been great. I like everything he has said and if this team wins 90+ games, which I think it will, then he probably deserves serious manager of the year consideration, especially if Frank plays well this year. I think that Ozzie is going to bring an energy to this team that we simply have not seen in years here. He does not seem to be another Terry Bevington, as Daver has said. Ozzie really knows what the fans want to see and I think he's going to be able to get results. It's so much fun hearing him talk, because he always seems to address the concerns of fans and the problems of Manuel, all the while saying something to the effect of "I dont care too much about what happened in the past."

Ozzie for manager of the year in 04!

owensmouth
02-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Will Ozzie be a great success? I certainly hope so.

I remember the reaction to the trade that sent Lamar Hoyt to the Padres for an untested, untried, practically unheard of shortstop named Ozzie Guillen. Put bluntly, Carlton Fisk went bizerko. He didn't subside until spring training. Once he saw what the new guy could do, Fisk shut up.

I want to see what Ozzie can do. I know what the last guy couldn't do.

This White Sox fan is delighted to see both Ozzie and Lamar back where they belong.

TornLabrum
02-22-2004, 01:15 PM
I agree with all of the sentiments expressed so far. Jeff Torborg, who is probably the last person to manage the Sox whom most fans posting here respect, thinks Ozzie will be an excellent manager.

Ozzie's record right now is just the same as everyone else's: 0-0. It's what he does in the spring training camp that has yet to open up for position players and the season which has yet to be played that will be the basis for my evaluation of Guillen. Preconceived notions can get one into trouble.

CubKilla
02-22-2004, 01:19 PM
My opinion on Ozzie as a manager will be determined by what he does as manager. I haven't said anything..... yea or nay..... about Ozzie since his hiring. And while some may have a problem w/Ozzie because of the things which he has said, having grown up watching Ozzie play baseball I'm positive that even though it might not sound right coming out of his mouth, his heart is always in the right place.

The "we don't need the fans" quote not withstanding :D:

doctor30th
02-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I'll go with the campaign, as long as we have a winning season, if we end up 81-81 I would not be campaigning for him.

Maybe you should replace the guns with bats.

And maybe put KW and JR's faces on the girls heads.

WinningUgly!
02-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Maybe you should replace the guns with bats.

Here are the bats, but there's no way I'm putting JR & KW heads on these bodies. :o: :)

guillen4life13
02-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th

Don't you dare!

Daver
02-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Hey WU can you make me a Fire Ozzie tag?

:bandance:

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Daver

I realize that you're anti-ozzie, but could you turn that pic (the "Chicago" movie one) into a tag?

WinningUgly!
02-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Daver

:bandance:

I assume you also want a Bring Back Manuel tag? :redneck

idseer
02-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Here are the bats, but there's no way I'm putting JR & KW heads on these bodies. :o: :)

very nice job ugly!

hey! does anyone else besides me think that movie was one of the worst of all time?

i bought the damn dvd because it was on sale for $10 at hollywood video. i hadn't seen it yet but heard good stuff (all from ads, btw) so i figured i couldn't lose. it'd be like paying to see it in a theater and yet keeping a version to watch any time i wanted.
BIG mistake. i couldn't get halfway thru it and it will just collect dust for the rest of eternity! i've offered it free to friends and nobody wants it! what a p.o.s.!

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by idseer
very nice job ugly!

hey! does anyone else besides me think that movie was one of the worst of all time?

i bought the damn dvd because it was on sale for $10 at hollywood video. i hadn't seen it yet but heard good stuff (all from ads, btw) so i figured i couldn't lose. it'd be like paying to see it in a theater and yet keeping a version to watch any time i wanted.
BIG mistake. i couldn't get halfway thru it and it will just collect dust for the rest of eternity! i've offered it free to friends and nobody wants it! what a p.o.s.! Lol. I hate when that happens. I never saw it, but I never planned to either. Thanks for confirming my first instinct was the correct one. Put it on Ebay, and see if you can sucker someone. :smile:

HawkDJ
02-23-2004, 12:24 AM
I also don't know why people won't give Ozzie a chance. I can't say I love the signing and I can't say he'll be a great manager but at least he is putting life into this team after they've slept through the last 3 years. He probably needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut sometimes but he is going to have fun and the players are going to have fun and that might be just what the team needs. You never know.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-23-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm posting in agreement with WU so when MRKARNO digs up this thread after Guillen wins manager of the year I'll be mentioned as one of the guys who thought he'd be good. :D:

MRKARNO
02-23-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I'm posting in agreement with WU so when MRKARNO digs up this thread after Guillen wins manager of the year I'll be mentioned as one of the guys who thought he'd be good. :D:

I'm with ya on the manager of the year bit and hopefully i can pull up Daver's anti-ozzie comments and laugh at them and hopefully he'll laugh too.

MisterB
02-23-2004, 02:31 AM
I really don't understand why so many Sox fans are lining up & rooting for Ozzie to fall on his face.

I'm not rooting for Ozzie to fall on his face, I just don't expect him to be successful. He's never managed at any level, so there's no past performance to even give a hint at what he can do. So I fall back to the general rule that when someone attempts to do something they've never done before, they usually fail. This isn't saying that he won't be capable of it in the future, but that the odds are against him doing it on his first try.

SSN721
02-23-2004, 07:36 AM
very nice job ugly!

BIG mistake. i couldn't get halfway thru it and it will just collect dust for the rest of eternity! i've offered it free to friends and nobody wants it! what a p.o.s.!

I have to strongly disagree with you on that. I think the movie is absolutely fantastic. But I understand how a lot of people cant like it, it is kind of an individual thing, especailly if you arent a fan of musicals to begin with. But this isnt the parking lot so I will also add that I think Ozzie in the very least will change the mental attitude of this team, but I think he will have to win more than 90 games to get manager of the year, just because the team isnt this bad and I think they should be capable of that with a changed attitude no problem, well as long and the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation dont end up being black holes. :(:

idseer
02-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I have to strongly disagree with you on that. I think the movie is absolutely fantastic. But I understand how a lot of people cant like it, it is kind of an individual thing, especailly if you arent a fan of musicals to begin with. But this isnt the parking lot so I will also add that I think Ozzie in the very least will change the mental attitude of this team, but I think he will have to win more than 90 games to get manager of the year, just because the team isnt this bad and I think they should be capable of that with a changed attitude no problem, well as long and the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation dont end up being black holes. :(:

the thing is ... i DO like musicals. i thought moulon rouge was great. and many others too.
the reason i think ozzie has a shot is that this team has been underachieving for years. if he can just get these guys to perform up to their abilities then 90 in this division shouldn't be that hard.

hsnterprize
02-23-2004, 08:34 AM

I love Ozzie Guillen & the Ozzie Guillen hiring. I really don't understand why so many Sox fans are lining up & rooting for Ozzie to fall on his face. He's a fun guy to be around & seems to already be injecting life into a team that has been emotionally dead over most of the last 3 seasons. It's still VERY early into spring training, but Ozzie has been saying all the right things (since his Thomas comments) and has done a great job developing his relationship with the media.

I'm really just annoyed at the constant Ozzie bashing. I understand the anti-Reinsdorf/Williams feelings, but not why they are being taken out on Guillen.

Ozzie will make a big difference with the team this season. I see him as the type of manager that will be able to get more out of less, rather than the less out of more, we've seen over the last few years. I'm sure most of the Ozzie haters will come around eventually.

He's gonna own this town. :D: I'm more than willing to give Ozzie a fair shot in managing this ballclub. Remember, Tony Pena didn't have any major league managing experience last year, and he led the Royals to a great start...granted, the Royals' finish wasn't all that great, but they turned a lot of heads nationally. The Sox can win the A.L. Central if they just play like they want to win instead of feeling like they have to win. Remember...Pena basically told the Royals that since they weren't expected to win, they had nothing to lose. Same thing here...as long as the Sox have fun, stay loose, and play like professional baseball players, they can turn a lot of heads.

DrCrawdad
02-23-2004, 09:50 AM
http://images.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2004-02/11520394.jpg
CUATRO!

Ozzie's golf swing looks like his baseball swing.

KingXerxes
02-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I'm more than willing to give Ozzie a fair shot in managing this ballclub. Remember, Tony Pena didn't have any major league managing experience last year, and he led the Royals to a great start...granted, the Royals' finish wasn't all that great, but they turned a lot of heads nationally. The Sox can win the A.L. Central if they just play like they want to win instead of feeling like they have to win. Remember...Pena basically told the Royals that since they weren't expected to win, they had nothing to lose. Same thing here...as long as the Sox have fun, stay loose, and play like professional baseball players, they can turn a lot of heads.

Again with the Pena and Guillen comparisons.?!

The only thing these two have in common is the fact that they're both Latin-born............and that's it. Pena (with Pittsburgh and St. Louis) was a pleasure to watch play the game. He absolutely had the aura of a leader and potential manager from the day he broke in.

Ozzie Guillen was not that. Now all this being said, I don't want to be painted as a guy who is wishing for Guillen to fail - I hope very much he succeeds, but if I had to wager...................

SSN721
02-23-2004, 12:20 PM
the thing is ... i DO like musicals. i thought moulon rouge was great. and many others too.
the reason i think ozzie has a shot is that this team has been underachieving for years. if he can just get these guys to perform up to their abilities then 90 in this division shouldn't be that hard.

I'm sorry, I didnt mean to imply that you dont like musicals. :D: Its funny, cuz I love musicals but I cant stand Moulin Rouge, it was like getting slapped in the face the way the movie was made to me. Just think its funny we have completely opposite views on these films, again sorry for continuing this on this page. And otherwise I completely agree with you about Guillen. :cool:

RedPinStripes
02-23-2004, 09:42 PM

He's gonna own this town. :D:

Post of the week! :gulp:

WinningUgly!
02-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Post of the week! :gulp:

Aw, shucks. :smile:

RedPinStripes
02-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Again with the Pena and Guillen comparisons.?!

The only thing these two have in common is the fact that they're both Latin-born............and that's it. Pena (with Pittsburgh and St. Louis) was a pleasure to watch play the game. He absolutely had the aura of a leader and potential manager from the day he broke in.

You're missing 1 thing they had in common.

They both played for the White Sox! Infact, i'm pretty sure they were team mates.

Realist
02-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
http://images.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2004-02/11520394.jpg
CUATRO!

Ozzie's golf swing looks like his baseball swing.

Hell, I thought that was a slap shot!

WinningUgly!
02-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
You're missing 1 thing they had in common.

They both played for the White Sox! Infact, i'm pretty sure they were team mates.

Right you are. They played together under the great Terry Bevington in 1997.

Realist
02-23-2004, 11:05 PM
I was one of the original Ozzie bashers. I can't tell you how dissappointed I was when he was hired over Cito Gaston.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say I believe I was completely wrong. Everything Ozzie has said since his first press conference has been right on the money and he's got me excited to see what he can do with the players he's been dealt. My opinion of him has changed a full 180 degrees.

If he gets the players to buy into his passion and play up to their potential we're gonna romp our way right to the playoffs.

I'm sorry, Ozzie. I was wrong. Please keep me excited.

MRKARNO
02-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Realist

:shammy

"I woo jus like to apologi"

I'm glad we have a convert. Why can't Guillen be a Pena-type? He seems like one except he has a LOT more talent than Pena did last year. If you get this sox team to overacheive to the extent of Pena's Royals last year, you got yourself a 95-98 win ballclub and I'm not even kidding.

WinningUgly!
02-23-2004, 11:10 PM

:ozzie
"No problem, my man!"

http://www.highroad.ca/images/logos/cito_gaston.jpg
"Yeah, whatever..."

MisterB
02-24-2004, 12:09 PM
I was one of the original Ozzie bashers. I can't tell you how dissappointed I was when he was hired over Cito Gaston.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say I believe I was completely wrong. Everything Ozzie has said since his first press conference has been right on the money and he's got me excited to see what he can do with the players he's been dealt. My opinion of him has changed a full 180 degrees.

If he gets the players to buy into his passion and play up to their potential we're gonna romp our way right to the playoffs.

Pardon me if I actually wait until I see how the team performs under Guillen before I change my mind. I don't care how many baseball cliches Ozzie spouts, I'd like some actual results and we won't get those for another 5 weeks.