PDA

View Full Version : Another Pitcher Out

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Corwin Malone is set to undergo Tommy John surgery on March 7th, my birthday, and will miss the entire season. He will need a 1 year to a 1.5 years to recover. He was on the 40 man roster, but I'm not sure how likely he was to make the team this year. He was considered a high level prospect, but this certainly hinders that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=8595

A. Cavatica
02-22-2004, 08:08 AM
This is probably the end of Malone's career. Velocity was his game, and that'll be gone.

duke of dorwood
02-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Just another demonstration of how "prospects" either drafted or picked up in trade for proven commodities, are never a sure thing

depy48
02-22-2004, 11:44 AM
how much were we expecting from him this year?

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by depy48
how much were we expecting from him this year? I don't think really anything this year.

Daver
02-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Corwin Malone has been a question mark since his first shoulder surgery three years ago.

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Corwin Malone has been a question mark since his first shoulder surgery three years ago. Ya, I didn't figure this really surprising anyone. Hopefully he can recover though, but I don't anyone is going to count on it.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2004, 12:12 PM
First Pearson, now Malone. I know nothing was expected from either of them but I sure hope the 2001 injury bug isn't getting ready to make a return visit this season.

Lip

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
First Pearson, now Malone. I know nothing was expected from either of them but I sure hope the 2001 injury bug isn't getting ready to make a return visit this season.

Lip I hope so too, but I don't think we can read into what happened to these two so much. Person was a question mark from the get go, and Malone had also had his question marks (question marks being health related.) But you're right, let's hope it isn't contagious.

CubKilla
02-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

I doubt it now that this idiot ---> :nardi is gone

Huisj
02-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
This is probably the end of Malone's career. Velocity was his game, and that'll be gone.

i disagree. first, i'm not sure velocity was entirely his game. If i remember the stuff I've read about him right, he had pretty good velocity for a lefty, but that wasn't the extent of his pitching. I heard that he was a low 90s like 90-92 type pitcher with decent stuff.

Second, Tommy John surgery doesn't necessarily mean that he'll never regain his velocity. Lots of pitchers have come back and fully regained their velocity after that surgery in recent years. Not all of them, but some. The down time is a long, but I think that the high risk nature of this surgery has decreased quite a bit in the last number of years with the many success stories of pitchers who have had the surgery and go on to be as good or better than they were before.

I think his main problem the last few years has been control. His walks have been through the roof since his good year a few years back (was it at birmingham? i can't remember). The shoulder may have had something to do with that.

I'm not saying that he'll come back and be an awesome pitcher, that is unlikely. But this injury by no means ends his career chances entirely.

doctor30th
02-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Second, Tommy John surgery doesn't necessarily mean that he'll never regain his velocity. Lots of pitchers have come back and fully regained their velocity after that surgery in recent years.

Like Kerry Wood.

doublem23
02-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Like Kerry Wood.

or Billy Koch... Until he showed up here.

Huisj
02-22-2004, 09:50 PM
just out of curiosity, i found a list of pitchers who have had TJ surgery on ESPN: (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1594725.html )

IN THE PAST YEAR
Jon Lieber
Denny Neagle
Bob Wickman
Paul Byrd
A.J. Burnett
Ryan Dempster
Rick Ankiel
Scott Strickland
Brian Moehler
Mike Fetters
Seth McClung

HAD IT TWICE
Darren Dreifort
Jose Rijo
Chad Fox
Nate Bland
Lance Carter

PAST AND PRESENT CLOSERS
John Smoltz
Mariano Rivera
Jason Isringhausen
Scott Williamson
Billy Koch
Matt Mantei
Jeff Zimmerman
Mark Wohlers
John Franco
Tom Gordon
Kerry Lightenberg
Tim Worrell
Rod Beck
Lance Carter

STARTERS
Kerry Wood
Matt Morris
David Wells
Odalis Perez
Paul Wilson
Kris Benson
Garrett Stephenson
Scott Erickson
Corey Lidle
Adam Eaton
Pat Hentgen
Steve Sparks
Paul Wilson
Sterling Hitchcock
Kevin Jarvis
Joe Roa

SET-UP MEN
Jason Christiansen
Cal Eldred
Doug Brocail
Lance Painter
Michael Tejera
Danny Patterson

MOST WINS AFTER
TOMMY JOHN SURGERY
David Wells, 197 (through 8/13)
Tommy John, 164
Tom Candiotti, 151

mike squires
02-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Let's not forget the long list of Sox pitchers that have had some kind of arm troule in the past...Parque, Baldwin, Sirotka and now Malone. Have they done some kind of research on conditioning and such?

Lip Man 1
02-22-2004, 11:12 PM
I distinctly remember after the disasterous performance and number of injuries to the pitching staff after the 2001 season that Kenny Williams said a 'study,' was going to be conducted looking at everything from how pitchers warm up, to how they are being taught in the minor leagues etc.

I don't ever recall reading in the papers anything on what that study found.

My guess is that the Sox never even conducted a study or if they did it was along the lines of those bogus 'surveys' that supposedly they ask the fans. (You know like the ones that said Sox fans were in favor of the White Flag deal or that the Sox problems have nothing to do with who owns the club!)

Lip