PDA

View Full Version : Takatsu impressive in first appearance

chisox06
02-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Catchers got a first look at Mr.Zero and seemed really impressed.

"The incredible movement of Takatsu's pitches is what had most White Sox people talking.

"Right now, the sinker he has ... I've never seen a ball move like that," said White Sox catcher Miguel Olivo, who caught Takatsu Saturday. "His sinker moves like a splitter.

"When he throws the slider, the hitter will swing before the ball comes to the plate. It's like a change up because the ball comes so hard."

Link-a-roo (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040221&content_id=639872&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

I saw the video on him and I couldnt see anything real impressive from the guy. If his stuff ranges in the mid 80's you better have great movement or your gonna get tanked everytime your out there. But hey nothing but good news so far from Mr.Zero lookin forward to seein him pitch.

mike squires
02-21-2004, 11:34 PM
I saw the video on him and I couldnt see anything real impressive from the guy. If his stuff ranges in the mid 80's you better have great movement or your gonna get tanked everytime your out there. [/B][/QUOTE]

He'll fit right in..

WinningUgly!
02-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Catchers got a first look at Mr.Zero and seemed really impressed.

"The incredible movement of Takatsu's pitches is what had most White Sox people talking.

"Right now, the sinker he has ... I've never seen a ball move like that," said White Sox catcher Miguel Olivo, who caught Takatsu Saturday. "His sinker moves like a splitter.

"When he throws the slider, the hitter will swing before the ball comes to the plate. It's like a change up because the ball comes so hard."

Link-a-roo (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040221&content_id=639872&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

I saw the video on him and I couldnt see anything real impressive from the guy. If his stuff ranges in the mid 80's you better have great movement or your gonna get tanked everytime your out there. But hey nothing but good news so far from Mr.Zero lookin forward to seein him pitch.

He sounds like an "all or nothing" pitcher. The type of pitcher that when his stuff is on, can be un-hittable. But when he doesn't have his stuff working, get him the hell outta there ASAP!

sas1974
02-21-2004, 11:45 PM
I am just having a hard time getting too excited about a late-inning reliever that throws in the 80s.

SoxFan76
02-21-2004, 11:52 PM
He wouldn't be the all-time saves leader in Japan if he sucked. I don't think velocity will be a problem. The movement on his pitches will be enough. But a guy like Koch or Farnsworth need velocity because they throw a lot straighter than Takatsu.

MRKARNO
02-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I am just having a hard time getting too excited about a late-inning reliever that throws in the 80s.

Tim Wakefield has been a late-inning reliever in the past. His fastball is about 80 MPH and his signature pitch hardly reaches 60 sometimes. If you've got really good movement, but a slowish fastball, you're still gonna have some success because of that movement

danjames
02-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
He sounds like an "all or nothing" pitcher. The type of pitcher that when his stuff is on, can be un-hittable. But when he doesn't have his stuff working, get him the hell outta there ASAP!

Sort of the asian Foulke, then? Sure it wasn't that drastic with Keith, but when he was off, he certainly struggled to get out of some jams, and when he was on...well, we all know what happened when he was on. "Grab Some Bench!" indeed.

sas1974
02-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Tim Wakefield has been a late-inning reliever in the past. His fastball is about 80 MPH and his signature pitch hardly reaches 60 sometimes. If you've got really good movement, but a slowish fastball, you're still gonna have some success because of that movement

Good point and I agree w/ you 100% on the movement vs/ velocity thing. I am hoping that he'll be just fine. I am just saying that I am not all that excited about him. It's more of an overall statement about the off season "acquisitions" than anything else. Of course I wasn't too excited about Flash last year either and he was so good that he's earned the right to compete for a world series ring this year.

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Good point and I agree w/ you 100% on the movement vs/ velocity thing. I am hoping that he'll be just fine. I am just saying that I am not all that excited about him. It's more of an overall statement about the off season "acquisitions" than anything else. Of course I wasn't too excited about Flash last year either and he was so good that he's earned the right to compete for a world series ring this year.

If I remember correctly, a majority of the people here were upset at the Gordon signing, proclaiming that he wouldnt be able to last the whole season under any circumstances. I think there might have been a thread predicting when he would be done for the season. KW seems to be a pretty good talent evaluator, he just sucks at trading

sas1974
02-22-2004, 12:57 AM
If I remember correctly, a majority of the people here were upset at the Gordon signing, proclaiming that he wouldnt be able to last the whole season under any circumstances. I think there might have been a thread predicting when he would be done for the season. KW seems to be a pretty good talent evaluator, he just sucks at trading

I think the only trade that he's done that absolutely killed me was the Todd Ritchie fiasco, but I could be missing something. Or perhaps you're referring to his lack of a solid trade this off season?

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 02:00 AM
The fact is Takatsu is new. He is impressing our guys because his pitching style and results are something they aren't used to seeing (not to mention that other teams aren't used to seeing). He is getting extreme movement and for strikes no less. I really could care a less how fast it is. If he has location down, and is getting great movement, as they say, then he is going to be effective. Call me ignorant, but with him and Wunsch being side arm throwers with opposite arms, that could be a deadly duo. Not to mention our other solid pen guys.

mikef1331
02-22-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
The fact is Takatsu is new. He is impressing our guys because his pitching style and results are something they aren't used to seeing (not to mention that other teams aren't used to seeing). He is getting extreme movement and for strikes no less. I really could care a less how fast it is. If he has location down, and is getting great movement, as they say, then he is going to be effective. Call me ignorant, but with him and Wunsch being side arm throwers with opposite arms, that could be a deadly duo. Not to mention our other solid pen guys.

I agree... I think it's more important to have great control and movement with pitches than just velocity. I saw a couple video clips of Takatsu in spring training on various local news programs today. His delivery seems to be half way between a sidearm and a submarine arm slot, hopefully it will confuse opposing batters.

DrCrawdad
02-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep

Great point about the Kelly Wunsch comparison. IIRC Scott Sullivan is around the same MPH as Shingo.

Tragg
02-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Bullpen should be an area in which this team is better than last year.
Yea we lost Gordon.
Sullivan pitched 14 innings so that's not much of a loss (in the year to year comparison).
We also lost Ric White, who pitched 40+ deplorable innings.
Koch has got to be better than last year.
Takatsu should be productive
Polite should be okay in middle relief

I think we're no worse than last year even if Koch pitches the same- if he's in the least bit effective, it's a better pen.

OH, and I think Wright will develop into a real good relief pitcher, although that's purely opinion/projection on my part.

idseer
02-22-2004, 09:50 AM
why is it everyone thinks speed is the most important requirement in a relief pitcher? or any pitcher for that matter?
many great relievers relied on location and junk. i remember a [pitcher for baltimore in particular ... i think it was stu miller, who didn't throw ANYthing over 85 mph and indeed hit in the 60's at times! he wasn't a knuckler either and he was dominant for many years. i clearly remember elson or brickhead joking about how slow he could throw and yet still couldn't be hit.

also, i am quite excited about ozzie's apparent plan to make pitchers throw longer. god, i've been saying this for years. too many wusses on the mound today imo. leave a pitcher in! there's no good reason we can't get 200/250 innings out of 3 or 4 pitchers. show some faith and quit coddling these guys.

go ozzie! :D:

tanko
02-22-2004, 11:48 AM

Keith Foulke

surfdudes
02-22-2004, 01:06 PM
If they were quoting Carlton Fisk instead of Olivo, I'd be impressed.

I'm more interested in Guillen telling his pitchers that if they are not ready to pitch complete games in a month, they should look for other employment. Ozzie's pulling no punches, so sparks should fly in Spring Training..... Hopefully it's a good thing.

CubKilla
02-22-2004, 01:10 PM
I think the only trade that he's done that absolutely killed me was the Todd Ritchie fiasco, but I could be missing something. Or perhaps you're referring to his lack of a solid trade this off season?

Botch for Foulke

doctor30th
02-22-2004, 01:52 PM
I'll make my judgment after he pitches in some season games. Spring training can be deceptive.

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-22-2004, 04:11 PM
The 2004 season is over before it started for Corwin Malone, the hard-luck left-handed hurler and one-time Top 5 prospect in the White Sox organization. It was announced Saturday that Malone will undergo reconstructive elbow surgery on March 7, performed by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, and be out of action from 1 to 1 1/2 years.
Malone, 23, was a ninth-round draft pick in 1999 and is currently on the 40-man roster. His best season came in 2001, where he posted an 11-4 record with a 2.00 earned run average for Single-A Kannapolis and pitched well for Single-A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham before the season was complete. Malone battled shoulder inflammation during his first year as part of the White Sox and was sidelined by elbow inflammation during parts of the past two seasons with the Barons.

man i always thought this guy was gonna be good for us. his career has definitley taken a down-swing

doctor30th
02-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Lets just hope everything goes right in his rehab.

He's not going to be one of our top 10 prospects but if everything goes right he could be very useful.

I wish him luck.

doctor30th
02-22-2004, 04:18 PM
opps think this is the wrong thread.

Rex Hudler
02-22-2004, 04:41 PM

Sounds like you need to start a Revisiting the Tom Godon Signing thread. LOL

sas1974
02-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Botch for Foulke

Oh yea. That one too. I guess I was missing something.

sas1974
02-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by tanko
Keith Foulke

Foulke's FASTBALL isn't 85mph. It's 90-91. Not the point though.

I am not saying he's not going to be good. Time will tell. And I am not saying that he's not going to be good just because he can't throw hard. I am just saying that I am personally not all that excited about him. This is nothing new. I don't recall too many people saying they were going to go out and get a full season ticket package bc they signed this guy. Again, we'll see what happens.

ondafarm
02-22-2004, 08:24 PM
I have a couple of bruises which says the man has great control. His velocity never was exceptional.

MRKARNO
02-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I have a couple of bruises which says the man has great control. His velocity never was exceptional.

Hey can you tell us about Takatsu a bit more again or link me to that thread where you gave that personal scouting report?