PDA

View Full Version : Buerle gets opening day nod

lowesox
02-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Pretty interesting. I thought Elo would get it.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040221sox,1,3723182.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

I gotta say though, talking about opening day is starting to get me a bit excited.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 08:42 PM
That's nice that it works out that way. A good compromise. Buerhle gets day one, and gets to pitch in Yankee stadium. Loaiza game two, but gets the home opener. And they both seem to be willing to do whatever is best for the team. I'm glad it's working out that way. :smile:

lowesox
02-21-2004, 08:43 PM
How interesting is it that part of the logic going into the decision is based on attendance?

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
How interesting is it that part of the logic going into the decision is based on attendance? I really don't think that has as much bearing as they let on. I took it as more of a benefit from the decision. Besides, pitching the home opener still shows respect for Loaiza, and Buerhle gets to pitch in Yankee stadium (which is better for us because it's a lefties pitching park.) Besides, they were given the choice and that's what they came up with. I'm sure Loaiza is just fine with it, especially since he knows Buerhle really wanted to pitch in Yankee stadium, and got screwed out of it last year, and that this will be his only opportunity this year.

doctor30th
02-21-2004, 09:13 PM
There is probably a little good luck associated with the decision too. I mean look how well Loaiza did last year when he started the Home opener for the Sox.

Huisj
02-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Buerhle gets day one, and gets to pitch in Yankee stadium.

on second thought, we better make sure buerhle gets plenty of rest at the beginning of the season, so let's call up neil cotts to start instead . . .

doublem23
02-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
on second thought, we better make sure buerhle gets plenty of rest at the beginning of the season, so let's call up neil cotts to start instead . . .

What? Cotts has too much experience. Kris Honel it is!

mike squires
02-21-2004, 11:24 PM
I predicted on this sight that Estaban would get a no no in the home openor. I about crapped when he went in to the 5 or 6th with one. I guess I like Mark opening it up but I think thye should wait and detrimine after spring training. (to get an idea of where they are at in terms of progress.)

sas1974
02-21-2004, 11:31 PM
I think it's a great compromise. I also helps that these two guys seem to be pretty easy going. Hopefully this is some nice foreshadowing for the season that egos will be checked at the clubhouse door.

mantis1212
02-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Huisj

LOL I think we can win that first series anyway

RKMeibalane
02-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
I think it's a great compromise. I also helps that these two guys seem to be pretty easy going. Hopefully this is some nice foreshadowing for the season that egos will be checked at the clubhouse door.

I'm just glad that the manager seems to be making good decisions. No matter how hard anyone tried, it was virtually impossible to understand Jerry Manuel's reasons for anything he did during his time as the Sox skipper.

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

"I think it's a bigger deal for Buehrle than it is for us."

"I do like to tinker. It usually doesn't work, though."

sas1974
02-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I'm just glad that the manager seems to be making good decisions. No matter how hard anyone tried, it was virtually impossible to understand Jerry Manuel's reasons for anything he did during his time as the Sox skipper.

It was as though he was trying too hard to be zen-like -- baseball's answer to Phil Jackson. That line up tinkering pissed me off so much that I could hardly contain myself. I think the lack of that tinkering alone should add a few wins. People here get down on the Sox for their lack of situational hitting (and I agree), but it's hard to do your job and perfect your craft when you're batting at a differen spot in the order every day. Each slot in the order has it's own responsibilities and duties and it has got to be hard to understand them as a player when you're not in the same spot for more than a day or two.

npdempse
02-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

This was my impression as well--seems like this decision is less about giving Buehrle the opener as letting him finally pitch in New York, and erase the bad memories of the Cotts v. Yankees incident.

sas1974
02-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
This was my impression as well--seems like this decision is less about giving Buehrle the opener as letting him finally pitch in New York, and erase the bad memories of the Cotts v. Yankees incident.

I can already see the amount of hype that is going to be added to that game. As if it wasn't enough that we're going into Yankee Stadium to play the $200 Million-Dollar 2004 World Series Champs.

How great will that be if we go in there and do some damage? That would put us on the map early and set the tone. And if we don't win, we weren't supposed to anyway.

mantis1212
02-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Pretty interesting. I thought Elo would get it.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040221sox,1,3723182.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

I gotta say though, talking about opening day is starting to get me a bit excited.

Reading the papers today, I think the media has mistaken, I don't think any decision has been made...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug22.html

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Reading the papers today, I think the media has mistaken, I don't think any decision has been made...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug22.html I think it has, but I believe Guillen has left the door open if they decide to change it, mainly Loaiza, because he has earned the right to decide. I agree with that, but it seems to be a fair compromise, and I don't Loaiza cares enough to tell Buerhle he can't pitch in Yankee stadium. They're both pretty laid back. Besides I think it would be cooler to pitch the home opener anyway. It works out for both of them.

depy48
02-22-2004, 12:43 PM
The Daily Southtown provided an article on the opening day starter. It was funny to read that Buehrle and Loaiza prank called Cooper and demanded to be the opening day starter...

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by depy48
The Daily Southtown provided an article on the opening day starter. It was funny to read that Buehrle and Loaiza prank called Cooper and demanded to be the opening day starter... That's awesome, can you get a link please? :smile:

depy48
02-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
That's awesome, can you get a link please? :smile:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/221sd2.htm

there ya go

SEALgep
02-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by depy48
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/221sd2.htm

there ya go Thanks, that's a good story. It's really reassuring knowing they are cool with each other and hung out during the offseason a little. That's chemistry, and it also relieves the idea of any underlining anomosity about who actually gets the day one nod. It's almost not even a 1 then 2. It's a combination with neither at any higher "superiority" than the other. That's what you want, and I feel real good about it being the case.