PDA

View Full Version : The Hidden Ball Trick

jabrch
02-21-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't think any player in the game has ever been caught by this so much as twice - much less three times - with the exception of our own Ozzie Guillen. What are the odds that someone on our team gets nailed napping by the hidden ball trick this season?

RichFitztightly
02-21-2004, 07:08 PM
When was this?

mantis1212
02-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
When was this?

Twice in one week! I think in 85 or 86... I didn't think he was caught 3 times...

RKMeibalane
02-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Twice in one week! I think in 85 or 86... I didn't think he was caught 3 times...

He was caught twice, once by Dave Bergman of the Tigers, and another time by Greg Brock of the Brewers.

soxwon
02-21-2004, 07:46 PM
why would someone on OUR team get caught?
wouldnt you think we would try to catch someone napping?
or am i missing something here lol?

DrCrawdad
02-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
He was caught twice, once by Dave Bergman of the Tigers, and another time by Greg Brock of the Brewers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/1999/postseason/world_series/news/1999/10/24/braves_struggles_ap/t1_mlb_ap.jpg http://www.fashion-icon.com/seasonless/images/equals.gifhttp://www.kimble.easynet.co.uk/images/MONKEY.GIF

jabrch
02-21-2004, 07:50 PM
He got caught twice in 89 (late June by Brock and early August by Bergman) and then again in 1991 by Steve Lyons.

With Ozzie and Joey Cora - I wonder how our players will learn fundamentals?

soxwon
02-21-2004, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jabrch
[B]He got caught twice in 89 (late June by Brock and early August by Bergman) and then again in 1991 by Steve Lyons.

With Ozzie and Joey Cora - I wonder how our players will learn fundamentals?

I thought guillen was considered one of the better defense ss in the game?

sas1974
02-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I think it's pretty unlikely that it will happen to anyone, but if I had to put money on someone it would be C Lee.

mike squires
02-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Wow, how in th world do some of you guys know all these particulars..."name of opposing first basemen that got him?" i'm impressed.

It's funny I did this once in little league while playing third base. I went over to talk to the pitcher and told him give me the ball...it was funny we weren't really non chalont about it but still fooled the guy once he led off. The umpire stated it was not an out because the pitcher had to be 5 feet off the rubber. Our manager went out and argued for like 10 minutes. I was kind of proud to create quite a stir.

RKMeibalane
02-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Wow, how in th world do some of you guys know all these particulars..."name of opposing first basemen that got him?" i'm impressed.

I used to have a video made by This Week in Baseball that had a large selection of great defensive plays. Several plays depicting the "hidden ball trick" were shown.

SoxFan76
02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by mike squires

It's funny I did this once in little league while playing third base. I went over to talk to the pitcher and told him give me the ball...it was funny we weren't really non chalont about it but still fooled the guy once he led off. The umpire stated it was not an out because the pitcher had to be 5 feet off the rubber. Our manager went out and argued for like 10 minutes. I was kind of proud to create quite a stir.

I thought the pitcher just couldn't step on the rubber. I think that umpire just didn't want the kid to be out with a bush league stunt like that.

sas1974
02-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I thought the pitcher just couldn't step on the rubber. I think that umpire just didn't want the kid to be out with a bush league stunt like that.

I also thought that the pitcher just couldn't step on the rubber. I guess I never knew the actual rule. It's just what we always thought in little league.

SoxFan76
02-21-2004, 11:49 PM
I've been out of baseball for less than a year and I already miss it. The only thing better than watching baseball is playing it. Atleast I'll be in the old man softball league this year! That should be fun.

RichFitztightly
02-22-2004, 01:35 AM
Gosh, throughout my high school baseball career, we probably successfully did this play 6 times. We attempted it maybe 10 times. The rule we were told is that the pitcher couldn't be on the mound at all. I'm guessing that would be about 5 feet away from the rubber. It made for awkward moment while the pitcher manufactured reasons why he wouldn't be stepping on the mound so the runner wouldn't be suspicious.

Other trick plays we did:
The short stop tripping in front of a runner leading off second. When the runner looked down, the second baseman ran in and caught the pick off throw.

The pitcher would fake throw the ball into center field and run and tag out the runner when he tried to go to third.

We had one where there was a runner on second and third. The runner on second would try to steal third, but trip and fall half-way there. In all the confusion and the subsequent stumble back to second to draw the throw, the runner on third would score. I was a master at this and had it ruined as an umpire called time to see if I was hurt after I fell.

When we had a kid in center with a cannon for an arm, we would intentionally over throw the ball so the centerfielder could throw the guy out going to third.

Ah memories.

SoxFan76
02-22-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing your team wasn't very good

RichFitztightly
02-22-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm guessing your team wasn't very good

I'm guessing that's directed at me. But no, we were actually pretty good. My sophomore year we won the Catholic League. We had an awesome start my senior year before we put up the homerun fence and everybody tried to hit homers. Then our production fell off a great deal.

We would just pull the trick plays out of our hats in practice games or when we catch a team napping. Mostly it was against the public league teams.

SoxFan76
02-22-2004, 05:30 PM
I wasn't trying to be ignorant, I was just always taught that those plays were bush league, and you never do them in a real game. If the team is napping then you try to pick them off, not use the hidden ball trick.

RichFitztightly
02-22-2004, 05:46 PM
I wasn't trying to be ignorant, I was just always taught that those plays were bush league, and you never do them in a real game. If the team is napping then you try to pick them off, not use the hidden ball trick.

Nah, we were just having fun. Our rivals knew us well enough to know we wouldn't do it in a tightly contested game, but some of the other teams in our conference knew from scouting us that we were capable of it. Therefore, often times innocent meetings on the mound would get the other team thinking and you'd have the coach saying, "Watch this, or watch that." That gives us the advantage if they're paying attention to something else that wasn't going on. It's a nice psychological edge. We practiced it enough that when a team tried it on us, we'd see it coming a mile away, and more often than not, the other team would screw up and we'd get an extra base out of it.

As far as being bush league... Who cares. It's high school. Let the other teams think what they want. The only thing that matters is wins and losses. The fact that they've done it in the major leagues kinda validates it in my mind. But I don't care either way. They were some fond memories.

Meixner007
02-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Man, I miss playing too. We had a few trick plays. I was a first baseman, and the signal that put the move on is when the coach would take off his cap. Then the pitcher would take off his cap and wipe his forehead to indicate he got it, and then I would follow. Basically if there was a guy on first sometimes I wouldn't hold him on, but rather play the field. When the pitcher would come to his set I would count to two and then immediately break for the bag. He would hop off and throw the ball to first base. If everything was timed right the runner would have no chance. Needless to say what would happen if we didn't time it right.