PDA

View Full Version : Castillo Reborn

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Another low key guy with the potential to be a big help this season. Very good article.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040221&content_id=639676&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

WinningUgly!
02-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Another low key guy with the potential to be a big help this season. Very good article.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040221&content_id=639676&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

Hard to believe he's still only 28.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Hard to believe he's still only 28. I know, but he was only 21 when he started out with us. Still though, it seems like forever, huh? :smile:

WinningUgly!
02-21-2004, 03:41 PM
I know, but he was only 21 when he started out with us. Still though, it seems like forever, huh? :smile:

Yeah, I guess all the fat jokes I've made about him since he quit playing for the Sox have made the years fly by. :)

Man Soo Lee
02-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Another low key guy with the potential to be a big help this season.

Castillo wasn't a big help to the minor league teams he pitched for last year.

I want to win and help the team in any way possible -- as a reliever, a starter or even at third base.

At least we have one candidate to backup Crede now.

DrCrawdad
02-21-2004, 04:11 PM

I remember a funny incident at The Shrine when Castillo was with the Sox the first time. Anyway, Castillo was sitting in the bullpen and a fan walked down and offered him a hotdog. It may have been Foulke who told that story on the radio, but I'm not sure. And I'm probably not relating it as funny as it sounded to me.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Man Soo Lee
Castillo wasn't a big help to the minor league teams he pitched for last year.

At least we have one candidate to backup Crede now. He pitched well in Japan, and so far so good at ST, this year.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I remember a funny incident at The Shrine when Castillo was with the Sox the first time. Anyway, Castillo was sitting in the bullpen and a fan walked down and offered him a hotdog. It may have been Foulke who told that story on the radio, but I'm not sure. And I'm probably not relating it as funny as it sounded to me. No, that's pretty funny. He probably didn't know whether to be insulted or to graciously accept the hot dog. :smile:

Man Soo Lee
02-21-2004, 04:43 PM
He pitched well in Japan, and so far so good at ST, this year.

Yeah, I'd imagine at his reduced weight he's doing a better job of covering first on grounders to the right side.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Man Soo Lee
Yeah, I'd imagine at his reduced weight he's doing a better job of covering first on grounders to the right side. I heard he isn't taking rest breaks between the mound and the bag. Lol. Sounds like he's doing well, and that's a good sign, because even he doesn't make the roster, he may end up there if something happens. Only good came come of it, and Alomar has said he was impressed with day one. Different arm angles, pin point control with his pitches. We obviously need to see more of it, but he could prove to be an asset.

duke of dorwood
02-21-2004, 06:54 PM
The only arm trouble he ever had was with food in it-we need arms

guillen4life13
02-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Even if the guy was fat, 260 isn't too bad considering he's 6'2". If he's working hard to keep his weight down and stay in fit condition, I hope that no Sox fans go to the park and make fun of his weight. I'd be appalled if any of us did.

Hehe, but remember in '01? The BoSox had Castillo AND Garces on the same team. Funny, eh?

santo=dorf
02-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Even if the guy was fat, 260 isn't too bad considering he's 6'2". If he's working hard to keep his weight down and stay in fit condition, I hope that no Sox fans go to the park and make fun of his weight. I'd be appalled if any of us did.

Hehe, but remember in '01? The BoSox had Castillo AND Garces on the same team. Funny, eh?

Wasn't Bartolo listed at 240 last year? 260 really seems like a lot. Who's is the heaviest player to ever play the game?

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Wasn't Bartolo listed at 240 last year? 260 really seems like a lot. Who's is the heaviest player to ever play the game? It doesn't concern me. First of all we had a little more money invested in Colon. Second, he has always been a heavy guy, and he was in the minor league system and pitched in Japan, never a problem. And now he has dropped considerable weight. It is a non issue as long as he can remain healthy. That's how I see it anyway.

guillen4life13
02-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Wasn't Bartolo listed at 240 last year? 260 really seems like a lot. Who's is the heaviest player to ever play the game?

If Castillo pitches well, I don't think his weight should have any relevance.

Plus, Colon is three inches shorter than Castillo (Castillo is listed at 6'2", Colon is listed at 5'11"), and while he was listed at 240, he was really 250.

He is listed at 240 pounds but weighed about 10 pounds more than that last year when he was with the Chicago White Sox.
MLB.com Angels article regarding Bartolo's weight (http://anaheim.angels.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ana/news/ana_news.jsp?ymd=20040221&content_id=639827&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp)

So, in terms of lbs per inch (of height), Castillo and Colon (as of 2003) are comparable.

figure: Weight (lbs)/Height (inches)

Castillo's figure: 3.514
Colon's: 3.521

So proportionately, they have similar weights.

lowesox
02-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Don't you just love the spring training articles about players who have turned the new leaf and are going to be dominant players? There's about 20 every year. Expect one about Politte, one about Grilli, one about Konerko, one about Koch, one about Ginter, etc...

I doubt Castillo will even make the team.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Give us your hurt, your unhealthy, your fat, your lean.
Even give us your Japanese.
We are The White Sox, and we will rule.
We know talent when we see it,
We ain't no fool.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Don't you just love the spring training articles about players who have turned the new leaf and are going to be dominant players? There's about 20 every year. Expect one about Politte, one about Grilli, one about Konerko, one about Koch, one about Ginter, etc...

I doubt Castillo will even make the team. Regardless, it's still a good story. A guy almost hitting the bottom and resurfacing with a new attitude and perspective. I would enjoy that story even if he played for another team. Besides though, I already said this but he may not make the roster and pitch in the minors. That's okay, because he may eventually may be called up and serve as a reliever, spot starter, or take over for an injury. He doesn't even care, he wants to help anyway he can, whenever he is needed. That's a good attitude, and one I don't mind having as an option. Especially since the guy seems to be showing life as solid pitcher. Coming at you with different arm angles and hitting his spots with both fastballs and his offspeed stuff. Could be a good pick up, even if his role is minimal.

StepsInSC
02-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Thats pretty rare isn't it, an American player playing in Japan? I can imagine why he lost all that weight.