PDA

View Full Version : Twins player losses worse than White Sox losses

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 11:40 PM
The White Sox lost Colon, Gordon and Graffanino for the purpose of this comparison (we're only gonna use players who were here for a year or longer).

We lost a 2nd tier starter who can pitch a ton of innings, a successful rehab project who was very good at times and a utility infielder who should have been our 2b in 2004.

The Twins lost a lot more.

Let's start with their rotation:

Eric Milton-Fairly good and reliable at times. Provided some quality starting
Kenny Rogers-Aging, but still not bad.
Rick Reed-He was pretty darn bad

But they lost a lot of experience and Rogers was pretty good down the stretch.

They were replaced by Rick Helling (Career ERA 4.77) and an open competition for the 5th starter spot. The fact remains that their rotation is clearly inferior to that of the White Sox. We have two great starters in Loaiza and Buehrle and maybe three because Garland seems to be ready to break out. They have 1 in Santana and maybe two in Lohse.

Bullpen:

They lost Hawkins and Guardado and got Nathan. What had been their bread and butter for the past two years is suddenly a weakness as Nathan is the only real good reliever and Rincon is the only person that has shown he is worthy of set-up to replace Hawkins. Considering that the Sox' bullpen is very deep with experienced pitchers who have all had previous success and/or recent success, this is even a strong suit for us and a huge advantage for us.

Lineup:

Pierzynski was a very important player in this lineup. He provided it with depth and a .300 average year after year. They replace him with Mauer, who had high potential, but is a question mark as of now and probably wont be able to replace Pierzynski's numbers.

The Twins overacheived by about 5 games last year (they won 90 when they should have won 85), and I doubt with this large amount of talent lost that they can possibly win 90 games again, let alone 85 unless their rookies step up bigtime, which I'm not so sure will happen.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Seeing that most of their talent is homegrown, I don't think they're going to have problems replacing all of the talent that they lost. Hopefully I'm wrong and they finally stop finding a way to always win!

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Seeing that most of their talent is homegrown, I don't think they're going to have problems replacing all of the talent that they lost. Hopefully I'm wrong and they finally stop finding a way to always win! They do have a pretty solid farm system as of now, but a lot of new guys are going to have to step up for them to be successful.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 12:13 AM
I would also add to the original post that not only was AJ a solid hitter, but his game calling was superb, especially against us. Now this Mauer kid may have a better throwing arm, and I'll even give him the benefit of the doubt (for argument sake) that he will come in as a rookie and hit as well as AJ, but he will have a tough time calling great games as AJ has. Personally, I believe he will probably be a better catcher than AJ in the long term, but I have my doubts about him coming and having the presence AJ had in his first year. They have high expectations for this guy, so I certainly could be wrong, but AJ is a hell of a catcher.

MRKARNO
02-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Seeing that most of their talent is homegrown, I don't think they're going to have problems replacing all of the talent that they lost. Hopefully I'm wrong and they finally stop finding a way to always win!

Well, some of their players are bound not to reach the potential that they are slated for. It's just how the minor leagues works. I dont see them continuing to have the success they did with the minor league pitching that they have now. Maybe they have the hitting to replace what they have lost, but their pitching is still an absolute mess, if not a disaster. Helling in your rotation = disaster, especially as a 4th starter.