PDA

View Full Version : Koch Invigorated

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 08:04 PM
It's a good sign in my opinion. Wunsch already commented that he appeared in shape. Here's what he had to say.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040220&content_id=639412&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

Happy Felsch Fan
02-20-2004, 09:24 PM
seal,
I think your grasping at straws. All pitchers work out in the off season. Heaven help us if Koch is Krappy again.

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
seal,
I think your grasping at straws. All pitchers work out in the off season. Heaven help us if Koch is Krappy again. Some more than others, and besides from what this says and what Wunsch has said, it sounds like he did a lot to prepare for this season. You can say, well he better have, and you would be right, but the fact is he did. That gives some confidence that he's put last year behind him and is ready to move on and help his team. You're right though, we have to see how it goes, but as of now, it sounds good to me.

doublem23
02-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
seal,
I think your grasping at straws. All pitchers work out in the off season. Heaven help us if Koch is Krappy again.

:XL
I know I stuck to a strict exercise and diet routine.

mike squires
02-20-2004, 10:27 PM
He's in great shape? Wonderful. Invigorated? Fabulous. Clear frame of mind prepared for a fresh beginning? Awesome. THe question is, does he have his velocity back on his fast ball???

HITMEN OF 77
02-20-2004, 10:32 PM
I like his additude and mind set. About his fastball, we'll see about that in a few weeks.

JRIG
02-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
He's in great shape? Wonderful. Invigorated? Fabulous. Clear frame of mind prepared for a fresh beginning? Awesome. THe question is, does he have his velocity back on his fast ball???

I'd rather he have actual movement on his fastball rather than just regaining velocity, but we can't have everything, can we?

depy48
02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
whatever happened to Rick White?
i know its off topic, but thinking about koch made me think about other diasters in the 03 sox bullpen

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
He's in great shape? Wonderful. Invigorated? Fabulous. Clear frame of mind prepared for a fresh beginning? Awesome. THe question is, does he have his velocity back on his fast ball??? I presume he has the majority back, but we won't know until he throws under a radar. However, it is important to note that he is hitting his spots. Don't underestimate control and pin pointing your spots. That is more effective than speed alone. When you have both though, you're lights out. Hopefully he's got both.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by depy48
whatever happened to Rick White?
i know its off topic, but thinking about koch made me think about other diasters in the 03 sox bullpen I believe he signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers. He may not have for sure, but I believe he has.

Fungo
02-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I know I stuck to a strict exercise and diet routine.

And another thing...I've heard of people pulling muscles, but never heard of them pulling fat.

HITMEN OF 77
02-21-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
And another thing...I've heard of people pulling muscles, but never heard of them pulling fat.

LMAO!!

ode to veeck
02-21-2004, 10:23 AM
I'd rather he have actual movement on his fastball rather than just regaining velocity, but we can't have everything, can we?

I think a key to Koch being successful is more control, which would make him a LOT more effective at any speed, even at a lowly 96 MPH

Paulwny
02-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
I think a key to Koch being successful is more control, which would make him a LOT more effective at any speed, even at a lowly 96 MPH

I think he needs another pitch, off speed, that he can throw for a strike. Live with a non-moving fast ball, die with a non-moving fastball.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I think he needs another pitch, off speed, that he can throw for a strike. Live with a non-moving fast ball, die with a non-moving fastball. Well hopefully it regains it's movement, but he does have a curve ball. He needs the fastball to be working though, for obvious reasons, but also to set up his curve and sinker. If those pitches are working effectively with control, no one is going to be able to catch up to his fastball if it has movement.

CubKilla
02-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Hopefully "invigorated" translates to 5+ MPH back on his meatballs.

SSN721
02-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah I like his attitude a lot. I just hope that he did get the mental monkey off his back from last season. I just really hope his velocity does come back along with hitting his spots.

Paulwny
02-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Well hopefully it regains it's movement, but he does have a curve ball. He needs the fastball to be working though, for obvious reasons, but also to set up his curve and sinker. If those pitches are working effectively with control, no one is going to be able to catch up to his fastball if it has movement.

There's nothing to regain , his fast ball never had movement. When he can't get the >95mph over the strike zone he loweres the speed and becomes quite hittable.
His curve and slider are rarely thrown for strikes because he hasn't mastered these pitches. The Jays saw this followed by the A's.
Hitters sit back and wait on his fast ball.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 03:33 PM
There's nothing to regain , his fast ball never had movement. When he can't get the >95mph over the strike zone he loweres the speed and becomes quite hittable.
His curve and slider are rarely thrown for strikes because he hasn't mastered these pitches. The Jays saw this followed by the A's.
Hitters sit back and wait on his fast ball. Maybe his fastball doesn't move much, but his slider was flat last year. He doesn't have to throw them often, but if they were useless pitches that he couldn't throw for strikes, they wouldn't be in his arsenal. He said he's hitting his spots, and despite his lack of velocity last year, that was another problem he had. If you drop 5 mph, but also pitch it right down the middle, that's a problem. However, it's a problem I believe he will rectify this season.

Paulwny
02-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Maybe his fastball doesn't move much, but his slider was flat last year. He doesn't have to throw them often, but if they were useless pitches that he couldn't throw for strikes, they wouldn't be in his arsenal. He said he's hitting his spots, and despite his lack of velocity last year, that was another problem he had. If you drop 5 mph, but also pitch it right down the middle, that's a problem. However, it's a problem I believe he will rectify this season.

He's still basically a one pitch pitcher. He needs another pitch he can effectively throw in the strike zone and keep batters off balance. I don't care what other pitches are in his arsenal, if batters still see he can't throw those other pitches for strikes, they'll sit on his fast ball.

SEALgep
02-21-2004, 04:02 PM
He's still basically a one pitch pitcher. He needs another pitch he can effectively throw in the strike zone and keep batters off balance. I don't care what other pitches are in his arsenal, if batters still see he can't throw those other pitches for strikes, they'll sit on his fast ball. I totally agree, I hope that was part of his offseason workout regiment, fine tuning the pitches (especially the sinker) he has for strikes. I think he's going to be all right. We're just going to have to see.

ondafarm
02-21-2004, 04:31 PM
I totally agree, I hope that was part of his offseason workout regiment, fine tuning the pitches (especially the sinker) he has for strikes. I think he's going to be all right. We're just going to have to see.

A fastball pitcher who can throw a sinker and or a slider with action, either of which looks like a fastball can still be quite devastating.

I'm looking forward to an up year from Koch.

RichFitztightly
02-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
A fastball pitcher who can throw a sinker and or a slider with action, either of which looks like a fastball can still be quite devastating.

I agree 100% I remember one outing, where he had his sinker or slider working well, and he was close to unhittable. The problem is, I think there was only one outing where that was the case. I remember watching the ball flying towards the plate and looking like a fast ball sailing towards the upper-outer half of the plate then suddenly dropping in the lower part of the strike zone for strike three. Just froze the hitter. He definitely has the talent, it's just a matter of whether or not he can get it together for a season's worth of effort.

voodoochile
02-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm

It almost HAS to be an up year from Koch. He cannot get worse than last season.