PDA

View Full Version : Best thing about 2004

hillbilly
02-20-2004, 06:10 PM
While the attitude at this site is mostly negative, im looking at this season in excitement because we really dont know what to expect with guillen, harris, rowand, our SP's, Takatsu. We have a chance to be really good and that should excite all sox fans. But anyways, what is the most anitcipated thing for the sox in 2004?? your thoughts. I think the fact that anything can happen is very exciting. Theres a good chance theyll be good, and a good chance theyll just completely implode or be somewhere in the middle.

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 06:11 PM
There are a lot of question marks that could easily be the difference between 95+ wins and 80ish wins

Hangar18
02-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Most Exciting thing for me is the way the Stalemate between Sox Mgmt and myself is going, I'll be SAVING about $1,000 bucks
and NOT buying Season Tickets. Theyve Certainly had their Opportunity to win me over ............. but their doing NOTHING.

patbooyah
02-20-2004, 06:16 PM
i'm most excited about ozzie guillen. i really think that he is going to make a huge difference in this team- mainly with the way that he handles pitching. jerry had no idea how to make his pitchers effectively- this is made obvious by the number of pitchers who have left and excelled on other clubs. foulke is probably the easiest example. when your bullpen becomes outspoken about how you manage your arms, then its a good sign that there is trouble.

ozzie also has a winning attitude- i know its a cliche, but having jerry manuel "throw" the last game of that new york series killed me last year, and i think the team's play for the rest of the season shows what it did to them. ozzie wants to win, has a good attitude and is fun. i hope that the team responds.

jeremyb1
02-20-2004, 06:20 PM
That's a good point. I agree that it's exciting that the division is more or less up for grabs and we have a lot of players that could go either way.

I think it excites me that a lot of people have counted us out and that I'm not particularly confident of our chances. Last season, we kinda set ourselves up for disaster. With the team we had, anything short of the playoffs would be a huge dissapointment. This season with lowered expectations, it'll be exciting just if we're in it until the end and if we do make the playoffs it'll be extra sweet.

gosox41
02-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly
While the attitude at this site is mostly negative, im looking at this season in excitement because we really dont know what to expect with guillen, harris, rowand, our SP's, Takatsu. We have a chance to be really good and that should excite all sox fans. But anyways, what is the most anitcipated thing for the sox in 2004?? your thoughts. I think the fact that anything can happen is very exciting. Theres a good chance theyll be good, and a good chance theyll just completely implode or be somewhere in the middle.

Yous summed it up correct in your first sentence Too many 'what if's' not enough answers. Odds are all these questions won't have positive answers.

Bob

RichFitztightly
02-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Yous summed it up correct in your first sentence Too many 'what if's' not enough answers. Odds are all these questions won't have positive answers.

Saying "odds are" is a little harsh. From a fan's perspective, I'd set the Vegas line at about 50/50. Rowand has been working hard and can hit fairly well. Crede now has a full season with Greg Walker as his hitting coach, and we all saw how Crede improved once he came aboard. Harris has sung Walker's praises in the past and has hit .400 under his tutalage(sp?). I agree, although it's fun to be negative every once in a while, when I break it down, I'm really excited about this year.

South Sider
02-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Best thing about 2004......is that MLB.TV will air games
again this year through the internet

So I will se my beloved SOX about 130 times this year (even if the games start at 3 am local time this year)

But wait

Watching the Sox 130 times this year might not be the best thing about 2004.....lol

I believe this will be a very loooooooooooong summer

Hopefully I'm all wrong

We all know that there are so many ?????????????? about the upcoming season. But right now we are in 1st Place in the Central and have a perfect season and 162 games left to clinch the division. That might be the best about 2004 right now

Lets get it started

GO SOX !

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-20-2004, 06:48 PM
No matter if the Sox are awesome or awful, there'll always be HAWK!!!!
:hawk
"i luuvvvvvvvvvv hooters"

:)

RichFitztightly
02-20-2004, 06:56 PM
The Best thing about 2004?

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS HAVE REPORTED!!!

soxnut
02-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Most Exciting thing for me is the way the Stalemate between Sox Mgmt and myself is going, I'll be SAVING about $1,000 bucks
and NOT buying Season Tickets. Theyve Certainly had their Opportunity to win me over ............. but their doing NOTHING.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

soxnut
02-21-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
Saying "odds are" is a little harsh. From a fan's perspective, I'd set the Vegas line at about 50/50. Rowand has been working hard and can hit fairly well. Crede now has a full season with Greg Walker as his hitting coach, and we all saw how Crede improved once he came aboard. Harris has sung Walker's praises in the past and has hit .400 under his tutalage(sp?). I agree, although it's fun to be negative every once in a while, when I break it down, I'm really excited about this year.

I agree with what you're saying there bub, but I don't get the "it's fun to be negative once in a while." What the H kind of attitude is that? Honestly, that sounds pretty stupid. But love what ya had to say otherwise...... :smile:

LauraJ14
02-21-2004, 12:44 PM
I am excited to see the renovations to the park and I want the Sox to win the division so all of you so called negative fans can stop whining!

CubKilla
02-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
I am excited to see the renovations to the park and I want the Sox to win the division so all of you so called negative fans can stop whining!

I'll whine as long as another season passes in my lifetime without seeing the White Sox win a World Series Championship..... let alone be IN the World Series.

LuvSox
02-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Churros & beer

CubKilla
02-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Churros & beer

And last season, the White Sox got rid of alot of the quality beer that they used to stock at the import beer stands :angry:

Clarkdog
02-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Best thing about 2004?

Guillen. No doubt.

He may make some boneheaded moves - he is new to this and we we'll have to meet him half way. But he will make every game entertaining. And he is our guy.

From Phil Roger's pieces in today's Trib - A Guillen anecdote:

He was serving as Florida's third-base coach in a game last June that the Marlins lost 25-8. Boston scored 14 runs in the first inning, with Johnny Damon getting three hits before the Marlins could get three outs.

Starting pitcher Carl Pavano, who had given up six runs without retiring anyone, sat on the bench dazed. He asked Guillen what happened.

"I told him, 'You were horse [manure],"' Guillen said. "Then I said I was happy I was here, and so should he be. We're never going to see that again. Three hits in an inning? I couldn't get three hits in a month."

Instead of crying, the Marlins laughed. Then they beat the Red Sox 10-9 the next day and kept winning, all the way to a World Series championship.

I laughed out loud when I read that. A critical yet loose attitude like that will win us more games than it will lose us. And the ratings for the post game shows are going to be much higher - I guarantee.

surfdudes
02-21-2004, 02:27 PM
Best Thing will be .....

The Big Hurt is back, ready to take names and kick a****

RichFitztightly
02-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I agree with what you're saying there bub, but I don't get the "it's fun to be negative once in a while." What the H kind of attitude is that? Honestly, that sounds pretty stupid.

I understand what you're saying, let's just say I'm a fan of Dark Humor. I think it's fun to be negative many times just to be a devil's advocate, especially in a message board context.

A. Cavatica
02-21-2004, 04:26 PM
The negativity is because the Sox had the opportunity to "grab the brass ring" and they whiffed. Instead of winning the Central by 20 games and having a chance in the playoffs, the Sox seem happy to be in a dogfight in the Central if both KC and Minnesota suck enough.

I'm excited about the potential for improvement from Olivo, Crede, Rowand, Buehrle, and Garland, and the possibility that somehow Reed cracks the opening day lineup and turns in a ROY season. Guillen's got a chance of being a good manager, but it's about as good as Harris's chance of being a good hitter or Schoeneweis's chance of being a good starter. I'm not holding my breath.