PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 2.20.04

Hangar18
02-20-2004, 05:42 PM
With Yesterday beginning Spring Training for the 2 Chicago Teams, Its that time to again keep track of what the Media in Chicago is covering in this, the 3rd largest market in the US, and home to TWO major league baseball teams.

Thursday 2/19/04

Chicago Cubune:
7 Cub stories (including front page pic)
0 Sox stories

Chicago Cub-Times:
11 Cub stories (including front page pic)
0 Sox stories

Friday 2/20/04

Chicago Cubune:
7 Cub stories (including front page pics)
1 Sox stories

Chicago Cub-Times:

2 Cub stories (including Dramatic sideways back page shot,
previously reserved for Championships and other special occasions, which number about 5 or 6 times previously)
1 Sox stories

The Chicago Media Orgy continues today, on the Television Airwaves, the Radio Airwaves and in Print, City Completely Abuzz over the "2nd Coming" of Maddux (2nd coming will be used shortly by one of the 2 chicago newspapers, book it)
though we are only 2 days into spring training, the Cubs have
taken a COMMANDING, and Laughable lead on us.

NewsMedia Stats as of 2/20/04

CUBS 27
SOX 2

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 05:46 PM
The Cubs made a newsworthy move yesterday. I would be pissed if we didnt get a little ink tomorrow, but the sox dont deserve any ink up till now

mantis1212
02-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

CUBS 27
SOX 2

To be expected, since that's about the ratio of positve moves made each club for it's advancement

faneidde
02-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
To be expected, since that's about the ratio of positve moves made each club for it's advancement
I couldn't agree more. What would you guys like the papers to say about the Sox. Granted, I'm not in Chicago and haven't been for some time, but I just don't think this is media bias here. When the Sox got Colon last year, the papers were all over it. As much as it pains me, the Cubs are not only the darlings of Chicago, but the darlings of America right now. The Maddux signing, while at too high a price, was a huge move for the Cubs.

Viva Magglio
02-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Ryan Baker is in Tucson!!! Somebody at NBC 5 is bucking the Cubbie-loving trend!!!!

Lip Man 1
02-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Hanger:

Remember one of those two 'major' league teams is a 'small market team' in the words of their owner.

If the owner thinks like that, why should the media care about them?

Lip

CHISOXFAN13
02-21-2004, 12:08 AM
If you are going to bash the mesia at least get the facts straight. The Sox didn't start ST until today.

Hangar18
02-21-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hanger:

Remember one of those two 'major' league teams is a 'small market team' in the words of their owner.

If the owner thinks like that, why should the media care about them?

Lip

Not to single you out Lip, there have been plenty before you....
but STOP Misspelling my name..heh heh. its HANGAR.
as in ..........where airplanes park for the evening......Or where Military Secrets are Kept .......Or where Selective Amnesias the Story...Believed Foretold..but Who'd Suspect?

Hangar18
02-21-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
If you are going to bash the mesia at least get the facts straight. The Sox didn't start ST until today.

Ok, I was off by 1 day. The Media DOESNT get a PASS
simply because of that. I will call them out for being lazy
every time they do it........Period. Lazy is spelled ....K-I-L-E-Y.

SSN721
02-21-2004, 11:06 AM
I really dont think the SOx have done anything newsworthy of late. Once pitchers and catchers reported there was that nice series stories about the mood of the team and Takatsu. I think that it really hasnt been all that biased, there just isnt much to say about the Sox now and the Cubs have been very active.

thepaulbowski
02-21-2004, 12:28 PM
The back page of my Sun-Times, with Ozzie on it, was blurry today!! It's a conspiracy against the Sox! No respect.