PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 2/20


Lip Man 1
02-20-2004, 01:33 PM
"If we play up to our capabilities, we can be the best team in the division, absolutely,'' general manager Ken Williams said. "Certainly, if we play well out of the gate -- which will be a little bit of a task because we have a tough schedule to open the season -- we can be a better club, whether it be from some of our younger players improving as the season wears on or us having to go out and get the necessary pieces to make a push. -- Sun Times

Brother's that's a lot of 'ifs' even for the worst division in baseball.

Lip

JC456
02-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"If we play up to our capabilities, we can be the best team in the division, absolutely,'' general manager Ken Williams said. "Certainly, if we play well out of the gate -- which will be a little bit of a task because we have a tough schedule to open the season -- we can be a better club, whether it be from some of our younger players improving as the season wears on or us having to go out and get the necessary pieces to make a push. -- Sun Times

Brother's that's a lot of 'ifs' even for the worst division in baseball.

Lip

The amazing thing to me, is the words World Series doesn't seem to be in his vocabulary. It's always the division.

Hey Kenny, can you win a Pennant with this team?
Can you win a World Series?

Let's start hearing this kind of talk. Then and only then will you be able to convince anyone the team is competitive enough today.

Baby Fisk
02-20-2004, 01:57 PM
This quote infuriates me. What's the point of being the tallest dwarf in a land of giants? If this is how our GM thinks, we need a new GM (among other things...) :angry:

SoxxoS
02-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
This quote infuriates me. What's the point of being the tallest dwarf in a land of giants? If this is how our GM thinks, we need a new GM (among other things...) :angry:

It's not how our GM thinks, it's our owner.

Baby Fisk
02-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
It's not how our GM thinks, it's our owner.
That's what I meant by "thing". :D:

Foulke You
02-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by JC456
The amazing thing to me, is the words World Series doesn't seem to be in his vocabulary. It's always the division.

Hey Kenny, can you win a Pennant with this team?
Can you win a World Series?

Let's start hearing this kind of talk. Then and only then will you be able to convince anyone the team is competitive enough today.

Y'know, up until this year, KW was the only Sox GM in recent memory who spoke of winning a World Series. He even said as much after landing Everett and Alomar last year. I remember reading a quote "Our goal is to win the World Series." However, this year it has turned into "competitive" and "division". Sights are set a lot lower.

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Y'know, up until this year, KW was the only Sox GM in recent memory who spoke of winning a World Series. He even said as much after landing Everett and Alomar last year. I remember reading a quote "Our goal is to win the World Series." However, this year it has turned into "competitive" and "division". Sights are set a lot lower.

I think that his thinking is that you cant win a world Series without winning the division first. Or he's just being more realistic. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen though, so let's go out and win the division

anewman35
02-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by JC456
The amazing thing to me, is the words World Series doesn't seem to be in his vocabulary. It's always the division.

Hey Kenny, can you win a Pennant with this team?
Can you win a World Series?

Let's start hearing this kind of talk. Then and only then will you be able to convince anyone the team is competitive enough today.

What do you expect him to say? He's not stupid, he knows this team isn't anything like the Yankees and Red Sox. If, with the current team, he started saying how he expected us to go the world series, everybody would blast him for it - at least this way, he's being much more honest.

hillbilly
02-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think that his thinking is that you cant win a world Series without winning the division first. Or he's just being more realistic. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen though, so let's go out and win the division

I honestly think that the Sox are the division favorites based on talent, and i believe KW feels the same way. Winning the division is a very realistic goal. I agree with you totally in that sense. KW also believes Ozzie will be able to instill a winning attitude and turn these guys into a winning team. There is no reason why everyone should be upset by this quote because it is a very relaistic quote. And all this talk from all you negative sox fans about this and that our team has downgraded. News flash - so have the twins and royals(indians and tigers dont count). So why not go into the season believing the sox can win the pennant when it is a very feasible goal. The sox still have a solid core, they just need a good ass kicking to get motivated. Hopefully Ozzie is that ass kicker.

PS - for those of you upset with all the ifs KW used in his statement, please name me some teams that arent going into this season without any ifs on their ballclub.

StepsInSC
02-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think that his thinking is that you cant win a world Series without winning the division first. Or he's just being more realistic. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen though, so let's go out and win the division


Ding ding ding.

Its not like the wild card is gonna come from this division...so...


And the playoffs are such a crap shoot even we could stand a chance.

pudge
02-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Talk of the World Series should have been LAST season, but when you aren't even willing to shell out a few extra bucks for a veteran 5th starter, Kenny's only option is to shoot for the division. Sigh.

Lip Man 1
02-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Hillbilly asks: "Please name me some teams that arent going into this season without any ifs on their ballclub ."

Well the 'ifs' with the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Mariners, Cubs, Phillies, Giants, and Astros are in very small letters.

As opposed to the White Sox 'ifs' which look like this:

IF



Lip

soxnut
02-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hillbilly asks: "Please name me some teams that arent going into this season without any ifs on their ballclub ."

Well the 'ifs' with the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Mariners, Cubs, Phillies, Giants, and Astros are in very small letters.

As opposed to the White Sox 'ifs' which look like this:

IF



Lip


Ifs are Ifs................so ya gotta play the games. And you have to play them with a positive attitude. I think this team has talent, and had greatly underachieved under tinkerbell. I have no doubt this team will be competitive under Ozzie. :smile:

And when this team is in contention in July, I have no doubt KW will go out and get the pieces to compete in the post-season. But then again, Hangar isn't buying season tix this year, so the Sox may come up a little short in their mid-season aquisitions :whiner: :D: :smile: