PDA

View Full Version : Who should complete the pen?

jeremyb1
02-20-2004, 12:54 PM
In this article (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/201sd3.htm) in the Southtown, Coop states that we have two spots open in the back of the pen, preferably a lefty and a righty, to fill if we carry 12 pitchers. The question is, who would you most like to see fill those spots?

Personally, I'm going to go with Ginter and Wright. Ginter put up really strong numbers in AAA last season and I feel like Wright could be stud coming out of the pen for short stints.

CubKilla
02-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Unless the "starters" trying out for the 4th and 5th spots completely tank as starters during ST, I agree with you and see Wright getting one of those spots out of the BP for the season opener.

maurice
02-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Coop's preference for a third lefty bodes well for Arnie Munoz.

I also expect that Wright will be in the pen.

npdempse
02-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Gordon and Sullivan.

Oh.

My bad.

CHISOXFAN13
02-20-2004, 02:15 PM
If Wright continues to have control problems, I want him nowhere near 35th Street.

KingXerxes
02-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Gossage and Lyle.

Huisj
02-20-2004, 03:18 PM
matt ginter

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
If Wright continues to have control problems, I want him nowhere near 35th Street.

His problem was always giving up the big inning. If you're only pitching one, it's harder to do.

I think it'll be Wright and Munoz. Arnie screwed up in ST big time last year and I doubt he'll make the same mistake this year. His ERA was a mediocre 4.75 at Charlotte last year, but it's a hitters park. He had a mediocre WHIP of 1.44 but an amazing K rate of 10.3 K/9 to offset that. 55IP

Ginter: 3.03 ERA 1.29 WHIP 6.88 k/9 68.1 IP
Sanders: 3.68 ERA 1.32 WHIP 10.23 k/9 22 IP (If these numbers were over a longer period I woulda said he'd be a lock.

SoxxoS
02-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
His problem was always giving up the big inning. If you're only pitching one, it's harder to do.

But his big inning is usually early on...

AND if he does implode in the late innings, that probably means we were in a close game and would be far more detramental to the outcome of the game b/c if gives us only a few innings to make a comeback.

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 03:41 PM
I was just looking at Ryan Meaux's #'s and gave up 3 walks in 38 innings! That impeccable control might translate into real big league success (ask Cotts how well you do in the big leagues with bad control). He could be a dark horse candidate for the pen because he's a lefty. Not a bad K rate (29 K's) and a low ERA of 2.13

lowesox
02-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Urbina

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 03:52 PM
We need one more lefty and one more righty. I like possibly Diaz as the righty, and either Darensbourg or Sanders as the lefty. It also depends for the righty if Wright is going to be more of a hard throwing late reliever, or a long relief man.

jeremyb1
02-20-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
But his big inning is usually early on...

AND if he does implode in the late innings, that probably means we were in a close game and would be far more detramental to the outcome of the game b/c if gives us only a few innings to make a comeback.

Wright pitched a lot better coming out of the pen last season. There were a ton of outings to make that determination but it doesn't seem out of the question that he is able to take a better approach mentally out of the pen when he's called on without expectation than when he's starting and has five days to ponder his next outing.

Also, if Wright did in fact struggle in the later innings of his starts, that wouldn't mean he struggles in the late innings of games. It would more likely mean that he struggles after pitching 5 or 6 innings because of fatigue, hitters making adjustments the second and third times around, etc.

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Wright pitched a lot better coming out of the pen last season. There were a ton of outings to make that determination but it doesn't seem out of the question that he is able to take a better approach mentally out of the pen when he's called on without expectation than when he's starting and has five days to ponder his next outing.

Also, if Wright did in fact struggle in the later innings of his starts, that wouldn't mean he struggles in the late innings of games. It would more likely mean that he struggles after pitching 5 or 6 innings because of fatigue, hitters making adjustments the second and third times around, etc. Exactly, I like him more as a reliever, than a long relief guy. He should be more effective throwing hard for relatively short innings. He can probably go 2-3 every few days, and be real effective.

hose
02-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

Also, if Wright did in fact struggle in the later innings of his starts, that wouldn't mean he struggles in the late innings of games. It would more likely mean that he struggles after pitching 5 or 6 innings because of fatigue, hitters making adjustments the second and third times around, etc.

Jeremy I think you are right about Wright. He could come up big in a bull pen role.

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by hose
Jeremy I think you are right about Wright. He could come up big in a bull pen role.

I think that Wright is going to be a really big help in our bullpen this year that many people dont expect.

hose
02-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think that Wright is going to be a really big help in our bullpen this year that many people dont expect.

The pen is going to be the least of the Sox concerns.

jeremyb1
02-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Exactly, I like him more as a reliever, than a long relief guy. He should be more effective throwing hard for relatively short innings. He can probably go 2-3 every few days, and be real effective.

Yes. Exactly.

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by hose
The pen is going to be the least of the Sox concerns.

I think if we have so many good relievers, which it sounds like we do, then we need to trade some of them for some starting