PDA

View Full Version : Paulie's Problems

stillz
02-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on why PK got so cold last year? I've read some rumblings about a hip problem, the distraction of getting married, etc.. just what was his problem?

Does he hit the weights much? I used to think he'd develop into a masher the likes of Thome. Not anyomre.

steff
02-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Hip... it's going bye, bye.

stillz
02-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Maybe he can have surgery like Bo.

sas1974
02-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by steff

That's sad to hear. No hip=No power.

poorme
02-20-2004, 01:45 PM
At least Belle retired and the O's had insurance to pick up the bill.

steff
02-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by poorme
At least Belle retired and the O's had insurance to pick up the bill.

Ahhh Albert.. such fond memories.. :D:

npdempse
02-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Has anybody not associated with WSI ever mentioned the possibility of a hip problem?

Last year, PK pretty much attributed his problems to being a head case.

SoxxoS
02-20-2004, 02:05 PM
I personally think this hip thing his crap.

He hit .320 with 12 HR's in 160 at bats in the middle of the season, probably at the point the hip injury would act up. Instead, he struggled the first part of the season, where one would think it wouldn't have a huge effect.

He had a down year and had some mental issues. The hip injury seems like an easy out.

chisoxjk
02-20-2004, 02:56 PM
It had to be getting married. See, the extra weight on his left hand slowed down his swing and made it more difficult to pull the ball.

It's the same reason my golf game developed a slice after I got married. :D:

Huisj
02-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by chisoxjk
It had to be getting married. See, the extra weight on his left hand slowed down his swing and made it more difficult to pull the ball.

It's the same reason my golf game developed a slice after I got married. :D:

so if I have a bad snap hook (which i do, i just have too much baseball swing in my golf swing at times), if I get married, will my hook turn into hitting the ball straight? The extra weight will bring my bottom hand through better so i lead with my left arm better, and then i won't be so top hand dominant in my release, and i won't hook . . . right?

well, since i got no plans right now to be anything but single for a while longer, i guess my golf game will continue to scuffle.

gosox41
02-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by steff

I think it's his head that's gone bye, bye. I don't believe the hip theory at all.

Seriosuly if Paul's hip was bothering him why didn't the Sox at the very least DH him and let Frank play first? It may have helped, but we'll never know because JM insisted on an emergency situation before putting Frank at 1B, even though we all know he hits better when he plays the field.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
02-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think it's his head that's gone bye, bye. I don't believe the hip theory at all.

Seriosuly if Paul's hip was bothering him why didn't the Sox at the very least DH him and let Frank play first? It may have helped, but we'll never know because JM insisted on an emergency situation before putting Frank at 1B, even though we all know he hits better when he plays the field.

Bob

You seriously don't know?

"Team Player" Paulie refused to admit to any health problems. He also refused an opportunity to work out his non-health problems down in AAA where team players go to help their team win ballgames while working out their non-health problems.

I hope Manuel's Pet gets the treatment he deserves from Ozzie this year because last year Manuel just kept sending "Team Player" Paulie out there day after day practically forfeiting games. The worst firstbasemen in the league.

RKMeibalane
02-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

Don't remind me.

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

Foulke You
02-20-2004, 07:01 PM
I honestly believe Paulie's problems were not his hip but his arms. At the beginning of Spring Training of last year, Paulie announced that he had been hitting the weights hard in the offseason and put on 15 pounds of muscle. Paulie was noticably bigger overall last year compared to the leaner 2002 version of him. When you are a power hitter, you depend on bat speed as well as sheer strength. Sometimes, extra weight on your arms can equal slower batspeed. You have to train a certain way for baseball in the offseason and there is more to it than just adding muscle mass. A lot of players have made this mistake before. Heck, it almost ended Ruben Sierra's career. Hopefully, Paulie has reverted to his leaner 2002 physique and not the bulky 2003 version.

I don't see how Konerko could possibly be hiding a degenerative hip condition. There are beat writers covering this team on a daily basis so someone would have been all over the story if Paulie was icing his hip, limping, or receiving extra treatment from Herm Schneider. While Konerko does pull a half dozen meat wagons down the basepaths with him, I never once saw him limp. That also goes for being out in the field. He is either tough as nails by not showing his injury or he is not injured. My bet is on the latter.

Huisj
02-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Has anybody not associated with WSI ever mentioned the possibility of a hip problem?

Last year, PK pretty much attributed his problems to being a head case.

yes, i first heard talk about his hip situation when he was traded for cameron before the '99 season. writers said he had a degenerative hip that wouldn't affect him for a good amount of time in his career, but they also speculated that that was a big reason why he was moved from being a catcher, because that would have potentially shortened the time it took for the condition to start showing effects