PDA

View Full Version : There is no denying it

dimaisback
09-07-2001, 09:47 PM
Keith is THE man. Witout that freakish meltdown in Twinkidome (it happens at least onece in every lifetime), Keitth has converted on 38 out of 40 chances with 2.18 ERA. If he can learn to break his slider a little more, he should be given a shot at the starting job. He is easilyu worth 7 Mill a year.

NUCatsFan
09-07-2001, 09:57 PM
Without the blown save in Minnesota, it would be 39 of 41. I assume he would have gotten that save :)

czalgosz
09-07-2001, 10:00 PM
Those two blown saves in Seattle and Minnesota were HUGE. Something tells me that the playoffs would be more than just a faint hope if Foulke had converted those saves as well. But Keith's been great as a whole; I suppose I shouldn't complain.

dimaisback
09-07-2001, 10:04 PM
you can't possibly compare the two blown saves. In Seattle, it was all Keith's arrogance in not giving up and subsequently walking mediocre hitters and falling behind others. In Minnesota, it was ALL defense--Keith made enought good pitches for 6 outs, but Konerko (2 misplayed dribblers) and Perry/Clayton (another one) had another idea. The worst part is that it happened on turf. And there was also a blooping single....

doublem23
09-07-2001, 10:36 PM
Minnesota blow-up - Not really his fault. The Twins just got REALLY lucky. I can easily remeber 3 of hits the Twins got that were routine grounders in any other stadium. Not his fault.

Seattle blow-up - I think this was more due to the fact that he pitched to ONE batter in the eighth, then sat through a 25-minute top 9th before going out there again.

Overall, Keith tends to psyche himself up too much in big games, and consequently tires to throw the ball faster than he can, thus causing it to straighten out. Since this is the FIRST season Keith has ever been a closer for the entire season out of spring training, its only natural for him to still pitch like a young guy. I think as time gets on, he will lose that tendency.

I doubt he could make it as a starter, seeing as he's only got 2 pitches. After one time around, they'll figure him out, and then he gets shellacked.

LongDistanceFan
09-07-2001, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Those two blown saves in Seattle and Minnesota were HUGE. Something tells me that the playoffs would be more than just a faint hope if Foulke had converted those saves as well. lets trade the bum, we can get more for him as future prospects, if it weren't for him, playoff. He is to be blame for our situation.

tongue-in-cheek :)

dimaisback
09-07-2001, 10:40 PM
IF he gets more break on his slider, why not?!

doublem23
09-07-2001, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by dimaisback
IF he gets more break on his slider, why not?!

Arrrghh! This is just like the shortstop situation. Keith Foulke is a VERY good closer. He's one of the best in the league. He has been nothing short of crappy as a starter. Why fix something that's not broken? It's not like we don't have enough picthing prospects as it is!

LongDistanceFan
09-07-2001, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Arrrghh! This is just like the shortstop situation. Keith Foulke is a VERY good closer. He's one of the best in the league. He has been nothing short of crappy as a starter. Why fix something that's not broken? It's not like we don't have enough picthing prospects as it is!

It feels as if i am fanning the flames so here goes. :)

We are not going to sign him to a contract extension, so lets fill up the glaring holes we have. Any way somebody mention that the playoff would not have been an issue, if he didn't blew the saves.

Procol Harum
09-07-2001, 11:07 PM
Foulke has been great, but we probably shouldn't waste bandwidth getting too excited. Given the past few weeks of negotiations, Reinsdorf and Williams will not pony up the money to sign him. Look at Reinsdorfian history--once there's been a run-in with a player and/or their agent the paranoid Sox establishment immediately goes into its fortress mentality and will stick to their decision with a "I'm tellin'-you-the-sky-is-green" mentality. I'd love to be surprised, but....