PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Uncle Jerry: Yankee Tickets are Selling at Record Pace

Hangar18
02-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Jerry Reinsdorf, the Yankees are using a different business philosophy from yours. Whereas You and the White Sox are strongarming fans to come to the park BEFORE you get good players........the Yankees are Getting the Good Players BEFORE the fans are coming to the park. Crazy Strategy huh?

http://g.msn.com/0US!s5.31472_315529/HP.1010?http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1739365&partnersite=espn&&cm=ESPN&ce=2&hl=Yanks double sales after A-Rod

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 11:57 AM
They weren't exactly having trouble drawing fans to begin with.

CubKilla
02-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
They weren't exactly having trouble drawing fans to begin with.

The Sox wouldn't either if they made blockbuster trades, made multiple offseason acquisitions, and actually acted like a large-market team that wants to challenge their nearest competition for better team in Chicago.

Baby Fisk
02-20-2004, 12:05 PM
I was just thinking that. How the hell could the Yank$ DOUBLE their ticket sales?! Is Steinbrenner planning to triple-deck Yankee $tadium? :?:

Viva Magglio
02-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I was just thinking that. How the hell could the Yank$ DOUBLE their ticket sales?! Is Steinbrenner planning to triple-deck Yankee $tadium? :?:

He wants a new stadium in Midtown Manhattan.

ewokpelts
02-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

they are selling at a greater pace....remember, yankmee stadium holds 56 thousand fans. Not everything is sold out in january.
Gene

SSN721
02-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
He wants a new stadium in Midtown Manhattan.

Yikes, bet that would go for a couple billion, what are they gonna tear down to put that up?

Deadguy
02-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
they are selling at a greater pace....remember, yankmee stadium holds 56 thousand fans. Not everything is sold out in january.
Gene

Maybe they will sell out every game before the season starts, much like the Indians did for much of the late 1990s. With a metropolitan population of 23,000,000 to draw from, I wouldn't be shocked if they could do that, even in a 56,000 seat stadium.

ewokpelts
02-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Yikes, bet that would go for a couple billion, what are they gonna tear down to put that up?
there was talks of putting it at the wtc site as a memorial stadium. But there were also talks of building new stadiums for both the yanks and mets next to thier current ones.
Gene

Baby Fisk
02-20-2004, 12:45 PM
A news item on talks of a new Yankee $tadium:

link (http://www.nypost.com/sports/4643.htm)

And some pics of a model of the monstrosity:

pics link (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/YankeeStadiumII.htm)

WSox8404
02-20-2004, 02:05 PM
I just wish Uncle Jerry would understand that fans are not going to come out first before he gets any players. It doesn't work that way. Now I know that having the highest payroll in baseball doesn't assure a World Series win, but getting some big name players in here would definately raise the interest level in the team. Ticket sales would go up and probably stay up because although I said that a big payroll does not mean a WS win, it will make the team better throughout the season. It could go the other way, but chances are good that getting better players means more wins. Oh well, I don't think we will ever see those days anytime soon.

Lip Man 1
02-20-2004, 02:26 PM
I saw that myself and laughed heartily.

and Seal the Yanks had major trouble drawin fans in the mid 80's and early 90's that's why George brought up the idea of a new stadium in New Jersey. Instead he realized that the only way to get the fans back big time is to win, and so he started the process in 92 and look where it took the franchise.

Look at the Yankee attendance figures from the 80's through 91 yourself.

Lip

soxnut
02-20-2004, 02:33 PM
You know, I want the Sox to spend more of course, but I don't want them to spend to a point where ticket prices are so high that I can't afford to go. I'm not sure of the exact prices of tickets in NY or Boston, but I'm sure they're way more expensive than Sox tickets. Just spend a little more, get a couple of big names, do a good job with the minors and keep the prices decent. And win of course... :D:

kittle42
02-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Of course Yankee tickets are selling at a record pace - they don't televise home games! Oops - too much Blackhawk frustration.

hftrex
02-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Jerry Reinsdorf, the Yankees are using a different business philosophy from yours. Whereas You and the White Sox are strongarming fans to come to the park BEFORE you get good players........the Yankees are Getting the Good Players BEFORE the fans are coming to the park. Crazy Strategy huh?

http://g.msn.com/0US!s5.31472_315529/HP.1010?http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1739365&partnersite=espn&&cm=ESPN&ce=2&hl=Yanks double sales after A-Rod

Reinsdorf's already tried that strategy twice on the South Side and it didn't work out either time.

Deadguy
02-21-2004, 02:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1740652

I wonder what the explanation is for this.

Either Ken Griffey Jr. is still quite the draw, or we should play our home opener against the Cubs.

Dan H
02-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
Reinsdorf's already tried that strategy twice on the South Side and it didn't work out either time.

He also drove fans away in droves. And continues to do so.

crector
02-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
He also drove fans away in droves. And continues to do so.

What utter nonsense. Reinsdorf's one of the absolute best owners that the White Sox have ever had, if not the very best one.

soxnut
02-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by crector
What utter nonsense. Reinsdorf's one of the absolute best owners that the White Sox have ever had, if not the very best one.

I think he's decent. Bu there are alot of fans who act like childish crybabies when they don't like something, it's unfortunate......

cornball
02-21-2004, 07:29 PM

That's like being the tallest midget in the crowd.

Hangar18
02-21-2004, 08:58 PM

In 1981 I thought that, and even in 1982 and 1983 I believed this to be true. But they sowed the seeds of their Demise when they Let Harry go, and started Sportsvision. Everything went downhill from there. On top of all that, these guys Continued to make PR blunder after PR blunder. Then they got "cheap", and add a few more PR Blunders, Business Gaffes, and an Ill Conceived attempt at Urban Planning/Stadium Design, and you have yourself a Recipe for Team Struggling to Survive ........
IN THE 3RD LARGEST MARKET IN THE USA!!!! Unbelievable huh?
These guys could have a MONOPOLY on Air Conditioners and Ice Cube Machines in the Desert, and Still somehow find a way to SCREW IT ALL UP.

Dan H
02-22-2004, 10:46 AM

I have two things to say: The only time the World Series was cancelled was when Reinsdorf was owner, and he is the one who gave up on a season when the team was only 3 1/2 games out of first.

I can really list many more things but I don't have the space or the time.

Dan H
02-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I think he's decent. Bu there are alot of fans who act like childish crybabies when they don't like something, it's unfortunate......

You are right. Many fans are crybabies. But many have legitimate complaints that are ignored. Secondly, Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't understand White Sox fans and never will,

ondafarm
02-22-2004, 11:02 AM

By what criteria? On his watch baseball has dropped in national popularity precipitously. When he purchased the Sox, the franchise was one of the top 20 sports franchises in the nation, I don't think it'd even make the top 50 now. You can say he's guiltless with the rise of soccer, hockey and even basketball, but I point to those exactly as reasons to blame him. If he'd never done that SportsVision fiasco, then there'd be twice as many White Sox fans as there are now. He was also the driving 'mind' behind US Cellular Field, normally rated as one of the worst in pro sports.

TornLabrum
02-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
By what criteria? On his watch baseball has dropped in national popularity precipitously. When he purchased the Sox, the franchise was one of the top 20 sports franchises in the nation, I don't think it'd even make the top 50 now. You can say he's guiltless with the rise of soccer, hockey and even basketball, but I point to those exactly as reasons to blame him. If he'd never done that SportsVision fiasco, then there'd be twice as many White Sox fans as there are now. He was also the driving 'mind' behind US Cellular Field, normally rated as one of the worst in pro sports.

Put the blame for SportsVision where it belongs. That was Eddie Einhorn's baby. Remember he was the managing partner for the first few years of this ownership.

ondafarm
02-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Put the blame for SportsVision where it belongs. That was Eddie Einhorn's baby. Remember he was the managing partner for the first few years of this ownership.

Okay, fair enough. But it certainly dovetails with JR's philosophy of getting every penny possible out of whoever is a Sox fan. This is shortsighted and is the primary cause of the rise of alternative sports outlets.

CubKilla
02-22-2004, 01:53 PM

All of those World Series Championships are testament to his greatness huh?

Possibly the most moronic statement ever posted on a White Sox messageboard.

Dick Allen
02-22-2004, 02:03 PM
What utter nonsense. Reinsdorf's one of the absolute best owners that the White Sox have ever had, if not the very best one. Really? I'd sure as hell hate to see the worst.