PDA

View Full Version : 25-Man Roster Predictions


boog_alou
02-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Since Spring Training begins today, let's see what the predictions are for who will end up on the 25-man roster. I'll take the first shot (I put the non-obvious ones in bold):

C - Olivo
1B - Konerko
2B - Harris
3B - Crede
SS - Valentin
LF - Lee
CF - Rowand
RF - Ordonez
DH - Thomas

C - S. Alomar
UI - Uribe
UI - Gload
UO - Benard
UO - Borchard

SP - Loaiza
SP - Buehrle
SP - Garland
SP - Schoeneweis
SP - Rauch

RP - Koch
RP - Marte
RP - Wunsch
RP - Wright
RP - Politte
RP - Takatsu

stillz
02-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Nice.

That roster can easily win the division - why doubt it?

I know he seems destined for the minors, but I'd love for Reed to smoke in Arizona and break with the club.

boog_alou
02-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by stillz
Nice.

That roster can easily win the division - why doubt it?

I know he seems destined for the minors, but I'd love for Reed to smoke in Arizona and break with the club.
Shouldn't that second sentence be in teal? Actually, I think this roster can win the division if it catches a good share of breaks, gets some bad luck from KC and Minnesota and has the heart to perform well in the stretch run. This is going to be a close 3-team race.

As far as Reed goes, unless he is so good in ST, that he unseats Rowand and becomes the regular CFer, then both he and the Chisox would benefit from him being the regular CFer in AAA. The worst possible thing for the Sox would be for him to make the roster as a bench player. That would be a great way to stifle his development.

stillz
02-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Speaking of development.. was Borchard able to cut down on the SO last year? He's been as impressive as poop.

boog_alou
02-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by stillz
Speaking of development.. was Borchard able to cut down on the SO last year? He's been as impressive as poop.
In AAA, he had 102 strike outs and 27 walks in 431 AB's. His swing is way too big. He needs to shorten it, even if it sacrifices power. His .306 OBP in AAA would translate to about .250 in the majors. Brutal.

Kittle
02-20-2004, 11:20 AM
C - Olivo
1B - Konerko
2B - Harris
3B - Crede
SS - Valentin
LF - Lee
CF - Rowand
RF - Ordonez
DH - Thomas

C - S. Alomar
UI - Uribe
UI - Gload
UO - Benard
UO - Borchard

SP - Loaiza
SP - Buehrle
SP - Garland
SP - Schoeneweis
SP - Wright

Closer - Marte
RP - Wunsch
RP - Wright
RP - Politte
RP - Takatsu
Mop-up - Koch

Our bullpen frightens me...

poorme
02-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Borchard won't be riding the pines in the majors....although I haven't a clue who the backup OF'ers will be. Who needs em, right?

MisterB
02-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
SP - Loaiza
SP - Buehrle
SP - Garland
SP - Schoeneweis
SP - Wright

Closer - Marte
RP - Wunsch
RP - Wright
RP - Politte
RP - Takatsu
Mop-up - Koch

Our bullpen frightens me...

Especially if Wright is working both middle relief and the fifth starter slot... :smile:

stillz
02-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Bullpen frightens you like it sucks? Or like Koch and Takatsu are intimidating? I'm guessing the former. Koch was a BP pitcher last year, and I don't see his velocity changing much.

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
Especially if Wright is working both middle relief and the fifth starter slot... :smile: He's our new work horse. :D:

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 11:28 AM
He may not get it, but I think everybody is ignoring Jason Grilli. He is certainly a contender for the fifth spot. Also Diaz could win a bullpen spot as a right hander, maybe Sanders for the lefty, but I'm not sure about that. It could very well be Darensbourg.

boog_alou
02-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
Our bullpen frightens me...
It should. It has upside potential, but also lots of downside potential as well. It is full of question marks:

- Can Wright succeed in the bullpen after abject failure as a starter?

- Was Koch's horrific season merely an aberration? Will he return to his old ways? Can he get his velocity back?

- Was Pollitte's bad season merely an aberration? Will he return to his old ways?

- Can Takatsu's junk-ball pitching be effective against major league batters?

- Can Wunsch stay healthy?

hold2dibber
02-20-2004, 11:36 AM
C - Olivo
1B - Konerko
2B - Harris
3B - Crede
SS - Valentin
LF - Lee
CF - Rowand
RF - Ordonez
DH - Thomas

C - S. Alomar
UI - Uribe
UI - Gload
UO - Benard

SP - Loaiza
SP - Buehrle
SP - Garland
SP - Schoeneweis
SP - Pachecho

RP - Koch
RP - Marte
RP - Wunsch
RP - Wright
RP - Politte
RP - Takatsu
RP - Ginter

hold2dibber
02-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by boog_alou
It should. It has upside potential, but also lots of downside potential as well. It is full of question marks:

[QUOTE][B]- Can Wright succeed in the bullpen after abject failure as a starter? I think he'll be good.

- Was Koch's horrific season merely an aberration? Will he return to his old ways? Can he get his velocity back? I fear the worst.

- Was Pollitte's bad season merely an aberration? Will he return to his old ways? He'll be serviceable.

- Can Takatsu's junk-ball pitching be effective against major league batters? I think we'd be lucky if he finishes with an ERA under 4.60.

- Can Wunsch stay healthy? I have a lot a faith in Wunsch. I think he'll be solid and healthy.

skottyj242
02-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Danny Wright should be let go.

I really like our bullpen.

Kittle
02-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by stillz
Bullpen frightens you like it sucks? Or like Koch and Takatsu are intimidating? I'm guessing the former. Koch was a BP pitcher last year, and I don't see his velocity changing much.

Yes, as in they'll suck. They were bad last year and will be even worse without Gordon.

Koch lost about 8 mph off his fastball last year and I don't see that magically returning without surgery. And it's not like he has good movement or a changeup to make up for it. Takatsu is washed up, IMO, and is not closer material.

The only guys that I have confidence in are Marte, Wunsch, and Wright (if he ends up there). I have zero confidence in the rest of them.

MisterB
02-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
Yes, as in they'll suck. They were bad last year and will be even worse without Gordon.

Koch lost about 8 mph off his fastball last year and I don't see that magically returning without surgery. And it's not like he has good movement or a changeup to make up for it. Takatsu is washed up, IMO, and is not closer material.

The only guys that I have confidence in are Marte, Wunsch, and Wright (if he ends up there). I have zero confidence in the rest of them.

If Koch lost his velocity due to injury he would have been DL'd most of last season and would have had surgery already. As near as I can piece together from statements by Don Cooper and others, Koch came out of ST with a dead arm from being overused in Oakland in '02, tried overthrowing to make up for it, and wound up screwing up his mechanics which didn't improve his velocity at all and made his control worse than it already was. His arm should be plenty rested from last year, the question is can Cooper help him get is mechanics straightened out?

akingamongstmen
02-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
Danny Wright should be let go.

I really like our bullpen.


Why would the Sox let Danny Wright go??? Look, he's had some struggles, but nobody can deny that he has electric stuff. I think he's got fantastic potential in the bullpen.

hold2dibber
02-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by akingamongstmen
Why would the Sox let Danny Wright go??? Look, he's had some struggles, but nobody can deny that he has electric stuff. I think he's got fantastic potential in the bullpen.

And he's dirt cheap.

boog_alou
02-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
And he's dirt cheap.
You get what you pay for.

[That would make a great slogan for this year's White Sox.]

tanko
02-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Cliff Politte is awful.

hold2dibber
02-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by tanko
Cliff Politte is awful.

I think we all know your opinion on Politte, tanko. That's gotta be the 20th time you've posted that exact same phrase. We'll soon see. :smile:

TaylorStSox
02-20-2004, 02:51 PM
If Reed and LTP are both sent to AAA, who plays CF?

hold2dibber
02-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
If Reed and LTP are both sent to AAA, who plays CF?

I assume you mean, who plays CF in Charlotte (Rowand does in Chicago if those guys both go down).

My guess, and it's nothing but a guess, is that Reed would. He seems to be closer to MLB-ready than Borchard, and in 2004, it's more likely that the Sox' CF will be inadequate and need replacement than their RF.

MisterB
02-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I assume you mean, who plays CF in Charlotte (Rowand does in Chicago if those guys both go down).

My guess, and it's nothing but a guess, is that Reed would. He seems to be closer to MLB-ready than Borchard, and in 2004, it's more likely that the Sox' CF will be inadequate and need replacement than their RF.

The Sox organization has tried Reed in CF and he's not quite up to it (he's a converted 1B), so chances are he stays a corner OF. Borchard is capable of playing CF, but may be moved to RF if a better defensive CF knocks him from the spot. My guess is if both are at Charlotte, Reed plays left and Borchard plays center. (Then again Crash didn't get moved to CF until AAA, so who really knows...)

TaylorStSox
02-20-2004, 03:58 PM
I was wondering because they're both future corner outfielders. So, who do you put in a corner out field position in AAA? The guy that you think is closer I would assume.

MRKARNO
02-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by tanko
Cliff Politte is awful.

Politte's problem seemed to be last year that his fastball wasnt as fast (see billy Koch). If he can rebound from his injury problems last year and get that fastball back, there's no reason why he cant be a setup guy or a closer

Rex Hudler
02-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
The Sox organization has tried Reed in CF and he's not quite up to it (he's a converted 1B), so chances are he stays a corner OF. Borchard is capable of playing CF, but may be moved to RF if a better defensive CF knocks him from the spot. My guess is if both are at Charlotte, Reed plays left and Borchard plays center. (Then again Crash didn't get moved to CF until AAA, so who really knows...)

I'm not sure who is feeding you information, but Reed was damned good in CF the second half of the season in Birmingham. I don't think he will be a gold glover, but he'll handle CF just fine.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-20-2004, 05:06 PM
The Jeremy Reed era starts this year. He will Platoon with Rowand in Cf and play some first after Konerko is traded.