PDA

View Full Version : Egar Renteria

hillbilly
02-19-2004, 11:23 PM
I have to bring up a FA for NEXT YEAR, but Renteria is unrestricted free agent next year and pujols contract straps the cards, and the fact that Valentin will be one and done after this year, and the fact that Maggs is pretty much all but done in the sox uni after this year, so it seems. It is not illogical to forecast that the sox may go after him unless they are too cheap and dumb as a box of rocks not to go after one of the most underrated players in the game at a premier position at SS. If of course the price is right.

SEALgep
02-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly
I have to bring up a FA for NEXT YEAR, but Renteria is unrestricted free agent next year and pujols contract straps the cards, and the fact that Valentin will be one and done after this year, and the fact that Maggs is pretty much all but done in the sox uni after this year, so it seems. It is not illogical to forecast that the sox may go after him unless they are too cheap and dumb as a box of rocks not to go after one of the most underrated players in the game at a premier position at SS. If of course the price is right. I think Maggs will end up staying, but if I'm wrong, then we still need an impact player to replace him. Edgar is certainly good, but I wouldn't consider him to be the guy to build around. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would hope, since Edgar's price tag will be considerable as well, that we would make an offer to Beltran. That, if Maggs does move on.

MRKARNO
02-19-2004, 11:27 PM
The Sox should sign him to replace Valentin. OFs are easy to come by, while SSs are certainly not. IF we could get him for 7-9 mil a year for 4 years, then I say do it. They could do this, make a run at a top tier starter and get a quality Right Fielder all for the price of Valentin and Maggs.

SoxxoS
02-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Orlando Cabrera is a slightly more feasible option.

lowesox
02-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Cabrera... Renteria - I'd take either. I think the thing to do is try and get rid of some of the other more expensive guys like Konerko, Koch maybe even let Thomas go - then RESIGN Ordonez and get one of these shortstops.

With Lee, Crede, Garland, Buerle, Marte and Olivo that would be a pretty good nucleus with young guys like Honel and Reed coming up.

SSN721
02-20-2004, 06:09 AM
It seems far too logical to me that the Sox would go after either of these guys. Maybe they will sign Valentin to another 1 yr 5 mil contract again just to save the effort of trying to get someone who actually might be wanted by other teams. I would take either of them though I think they are both excellent players.

jabrch
02-20-2004, 07:13 AM
Renteria is not as good as he was last year. Look at him over his career and remove last year - he is a far less good offensive weapon. Frankly, I don't mind going on-the-cheap for a better defensive SS without a bat. If we lose Magglio, I feel like we need to make a play on either Beltran or Garrett Anderson.

We need some top tier FA if we do indeed lose Magglio.

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The Sox should sign him to replace Valentin. OFs are easy to come by, while SSs are certainly not. IF we could get him for 7-9 mil a year for 4 years, then I say do it. They could do this, make a run at a top tier starter and get a quality Right Fielder all for the price of Valentin and Maggs. He is asking for significantly more than that. Otherwise he would be a good sign, but with limitd SS available, he thinks he can get probably slightly less than what Maggs is going to get. That's just not worth it for us.

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
It seems far too logical to me that the Sox would go after either of these guys. Maybe they will sign Valentin to another 1 yr 5 mil contract again just to save the effort of trying to get someone who actually might be wanted by other teams. I would take either of them though I think they are both excellent players. I think if we do retain Valentin, and that certainly is a possibility, he would sign for probably $3 million. I say that because with the market, he is certainly over paid, but it is because it was we either pick up his option or we probably lose him. Now he would have to sign a new contract, and I think he would want to stay as long as we retain a core of our most solid players. If he wants to stay, he will most likely sacrifice a couple million in order for additional people can be brought in. I believe anyway.

jabrch
02-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I think if we do retain Valentin, and that certainly is a possibility, he would sign for probably $3 million. I say that because with the market, he is certainly over paid, but it is because it was we either pick up his option or we probably lose him. Now he would have to sign a new contract, and I think he would want to stay as long as we retain a core of our most solid players. If he wants to stay, he will most likely sacrifice a couple million in order for additional people can be brought in. I believe anyway.

Cuz most Sox players feel that loyalty to the organization that they will take 2mm less to stay with us - right?

SEALgep
02-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Cuz most Sox players feel that loyalty to the organization that they will take 2mm less to stay with us - right? He said it last year, sure things change, but I think Valentin wants to stay. Anyway, I don't think we resign him for $5 million. We'll see how this season goes, maybe we go a whole new direction as far as SS.

ma-gaga
02-20-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm guessing right now that Boston will let Nomar Garciaparra walk, and will try to sign Renteria to replace him. What kind of dollars do you think it'll take to sign this guy?

I'm guessing Boston can/will pay about $10MM a year. (But I have been consistantly HIGH balling the last few FA signings, so maybe that's high) If he wants the cash that's likely his best destination. The guy is young enough (27) and he hits/steals/defends well. He'll be a fantastic pickup by Theo.

Maybe LA could steal this guy away. They have a crappy hitting SS too. I don't know, there are a lot of big market teams that could use an upgrade at SS, and Renteria is a huge FA.

:)

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-20-2004, 04:25 PM
I would love to see this guy on the Sox. Got on base a lot last year and was a gold glove SS