PDA

View Full Version : 84 Sox vs. 2004 Cubs

DirtySouthsider
02-19-2004, 05:29 PM
If there is any hope for the Cubs not to make it this year it is the 84 Sox. There are alot of similarities between the two. The Sox pitching staff going into that year looked great. Hoyt and Dotson both coming off 20 win seasons. A 24 year Britt Burns who looked ready to break through. Floyd Bannister was another guy you could book 15 wins on.
Then they pick up an all-time great in 39 year old Tom Seaver to shore it all up.
For a team that just won their divison by a record 20 games the year early........the Sox looked unstoppable. But in true chicago fashion.....they CHOKED!
So you just never know what is going to happen. I just thought it was kind of funny to make this comparison. We'll just have to wait and see if the true chicago baseball tradition holds true.

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 05:32 PM
I agree.

Remember after the 1984 season when we were the big letdown, everybody was looking to the 1985 Cubs to set the world on fire, but IIRC Sutcliffe tore his hamstring and then a series of other injuries - and it was done.

You can never tell what's going to happen after the bell rings.

Baby Fisk
02-19-2004, 05:36 PM
The Cubs will have a losing season, I Ga-Ron-Tee. The WS will be something bizarre and unforseen like St. Louis vs. Oakland.

...or Dodgers-White Sox! :cool:

Brian26
02-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Bull Luzinski's bad knee= Alou's bad knees

Mammoo
02-19-2004, 06:03 PM
The Cubs 2004 pitching staff would shut down the WS just like the Orioles did back in the day :?: :(:

ihatethecubs
02-19-2004, 07:20 PM
the sox won 99 games in '83 and everyone forgets the "magical" '03 cubs only won 88 games. And dont tell me they were "only a game away from the world series" because they were "only a game away" from not winning the division.

E Coast Sox Fan
02-19-2004, 07:32 PM
First, the Cubs are going to be great this year -- they have great pitching. However, they play in a very tough division. Even if they have a good season, there's a possiblity that St. Louis or Houston could get lucky and be better. I don't wish the Cubs ill will (as long as they are worse than the Sox).

Second, we have a good team in the field and and a decent pitching staff. Since the AL Central is weak, it is equally possible that the Sox could win the division.

That said, I would have liked to see us sign a free agent or two to improve the club. Unfortantely, we missed the boat there. Now, I hate the idea that we need to trade PK or Big Frank (trades that that make us weaker) to make a deal.

I would also think that after all of the losses in the off-season, we would lock up Magglio for a long term deal.

SoxFan76
02-19-2004, 09:17 PM
I honestly don't think the Cubs are THAT good. What is that stat? Wood has never won more than 14 games in a season? Maddux is not your Cy Young award winner anymore, and Clement and Zambrano are your average pitchers. Now I do like Prior. There is always the 1 Cub player I like. Used to be Grace (I liked his personality, worked hard, and didn't wear batting gloves. Gotta love that.) Buerhle/Loaiza, Wood/Prior. Now in MY OPINION, I feel our 2 are better. As for the other 3, the Cubs definitely have the advantage. But there is also that little team in Texas. The Astros? Yeah I think that's their name. They picked themselves up a HOFamer as well.

ode to veeck
02-19-2004, 09:31 PM
letting Denny Lamp go was a killer in '84, among other things, and Britt was never really the same after his injury--and the bats went wayyy silent for long stretches whereas they seemed they could win any game ifrom behind in '83 (kinda like 2000 Sox)