PDA

View Full Version : If the Sox signed Maddux, what would the reaction be?


Northside fan
02-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Would you guys think this was a great pickup? IMO, I think many of you would have been jumping for joy. Not so much because you would have landed a great pitcher, but because you stole him from the Cubs. Agree?

Iwritecode
02-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Would you guys think this was a great pickup? IMO, I think many of you would have been jumping for joy. Not so much because you would have landed a great pitcher, but because you stole him from the Cubs. Agree?

I might be happy just because they are showing signs of life.

Then I'd be upset because they could have used that money to sign Colon instead...

mantis1212
02-19-2004, 03:05 PM
The bad guys for stealing him from the cubs? I can see it...

DrCrawdad
02-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Would you guys think this was a great pickup? IMO, I think many of you would have been jumping for joy. Not so much because you would have landed a great pitcher, but because you stole him from the Cubs. Agree?

What would Cubbie fans say IF the Sox had signed Maddux?

I can tell you that without a doubt Cubbie fans would be pissed. Cubbie fans would be saying that Maddux was old, washed up and way past his prime. Heck, quite a few were saying this just the other day when it seemed that the Cubbies were not going to sign Maddux.

That press conference yesterday, what a bunch of Bull %^$#. Oh, Maddux signed with the Cubbies because of Dusty and the front office, blah, blah, blah. That news conference was about as truthful as I-Rods.

Jerko
02-19-2004, 03:27 PM
That's why I hate the Cub fans. If the Sox signed Maddux, you are right, they would have called him old and over the hill. Just wait until Spring Training. If the Cubs beat the Sox, the Cub fans will be ecstatic and shovin it in our faces, but if the Sox beat the Cubs and we're happy about it, the SAME FANS will say "oh, it didn't mean anything". They want everything both ways which is why I hate them. Just imagine if Thomas got caught corking. He'd be drawn and quartered at the corner of Clark and Addison but Scammy can do whatever he wants. I am just pissed that the SOX "gave" the Cubs their 2 biggest icons; Harry and Scammy. I know Scammy was about a buck fifty soaking wet in those days, and I am not pining for him to be on the Sox, but we basically gave the Cubs their current "identity" which unfortunately will be here forever.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
That's why I hate the Cub fans. If the Sox signed Maddux, you are right, they would have called him old and over the hill. Just wait until Spring Training. If the Cubs beat the Sox, the Cub fans will be ecstatic and shovin it in our faces, but if the Sox beat the Cubs and we're happy about it, the SAME FANS will say "oh, it didn't mean anything". They want everything both ways which is why I hate them. Just imagine if Thomas got caught corking. He'd be drawn and quartered at the corner of Clark and Addison but Scammy can do whatever he wants. I am just pissed that the SOX "gave" the Cubs their 2 biggest icons; Harry and Scammy. I know Scammy was about a buck fifty soaking wet in those days, and I am not pining for him to be on the Sox, but we basically gave the Cubs their current "identity" which unfortunately will be here forever.

How would we not react all the same ways. If we signed Maddux, do you think people would be arguing with me and saying he was washed up and it sucked? When Sammy got caught, we ripped into him forever. We made shirts, we had chants. When the Cubs beat us, we talk about winning the division, and when we beat them, we boast. We're the same. It's all the same.

Mammoo
02-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Maddux wouldn't help the White Sox. In fact, there's only one "Man" that can help this moribund franchise...

http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/gallery/images/07.jpg

DrCrawdad
02-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
How would we not react all the same ways. If we signed Maddux, do you think people would be arguing with me and saying he was washed up and it sucked? When Sammy got caught, we ripped into him forever. We made shirts, we had chants. When the Cubs beat us, we talk about winning the division, and when we beat them, we boast. We're the same. It's all the same.

I disagree. From my experience, Cubbie fans want it both ways. Sox fans are more straight foward.

We want the Sox to win the World Series and then beat the Cubbies along the way. Cubbie fans love to twist this and say that the beating the Cubbies is ALL we care about. When the Cubbies lose to the Sox they claim it doesn't matter to them, the games are unimportant to them and everything to us. When the Cubbies win, which they did last year in 2 out of 6 games, Cubbie fans celebrate and rub it in our faces. Of course they'll tell you that they only do that because of us, it's out fault.

And then there is NorthsideFan, who says that he's here to talk baseball. Yet continually posts with remarks promoting the Cubbies and putting down the White Sox and Sox fans.

jortafan
02-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Maddux wouldn't help the White Sox. In fact, there's only one "Man" that can help this moribund franchise...

http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/gallery/images/07.jpg

Jesus couldn't help this team, not even if he brought brothers Felipe and Matty with him, along with nephew Moises.

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 03:44 PM
:reinsy

"You did what??????????"

:KW

"Signed Maddux"

:reinsy

"With what?"

ChiSox14305635
02-19-2004, 03:47 PM
I'll tell you this much. Maddux signing with Sox wouldn't have been the lead story on the news. They would've waited for the sports segment to announce it. But because "the conquering hero" was returning home to Wrigley, it became the lead news story. Gotta love Chicago media.

Palehose13
02-19-2004, 04:16 PM
I would be happy that the Sox got a solid starting pitcher. That is all I have wanted this offseason. Of course we would be jumping up and down because we made a move that would make us the favorites in the division. However, I don't think we would be claiming world series or even guaranteeing playoffs (like I have heard some media personalities do). We learned our lessons in 1984 and 2001...no matter who you get in the offseason, 162 games still have to be played.

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I would be happy that the Sox got a solid starting pitcher. That is all I have wanted this offseason. Of course we would be jumping up and down because we made a move that would make us the favorites in the division. However, I don't think we would be claiming world series or even guaranteeing playoffs (like I have heard some media personalities do). We learned our lessons in 1984 and 2001...no matter who you get in the offseason, 162 games still have to be played.

But let's say that the White Sox won the division last year, and then defeated Boston in the first round of the playoffs, and then lost in seven games to the Yankees. And upgraded their bullpen, and first base, and then the bench - and then signed Maddux. I'm not so sure we'd all be sitting here patiently awaiting the beginning of the season.

Palehose13
02-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
But let's say that the White Sox won the division last year, and then defeated Boston in the first round of the playoffs, and then lost in seven games to the Yankees. And upgraded their bullpen, and first base, and then the bench - and then signed Maddux. I'm not so sure we'd all be sitting here patiently awaiting the beginning of the season.
I'd be excited, sure. However, 2001 has taught me that it is NEVER "time". Every year is a fresh start and any team has a shot. I am not all too upset with the cubmania because, well they aren't even experienced at having a team over .500 let alone a probable playoff team. :D:

sas1974
02-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
That press conference yesterday, what a bunch of Bull %^$#. Oh, Maddux signed with the Cubbies because of Dusty and the front office, blah, blah, blah. That news conference was about as truthful as I-Rods.

No kidding. He didn't sign here because of all those warm and gushy feelings of "coming home." He signed here because the Cubs were the only ones willing to give him 3 years.

Northside fan
02-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

And then there is NorthsideFan, who says that he's here to talk baseball. Yet continually posts with remarks promoting the Cubbies and putting down the White Sox and Sox fans. [/B]

Really? Please show me an instance where I put down Sox fans. This I gotta see. Facts please, not made up garbage.

DrCrawdad
02-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Really? Please show me an instance where I put down Sox fans. This I gotta see. Facts please, not made up garbage.

I don't have time to do the searching, at the moment, but I seem to recall you calling Kenny Williams an idiot. (That kind of comment by a Sox fan is ok, in my book, but for a Cubbie fan to post it here that crosses a line). I seem to recall posts of your that put-down the Sox and Sox fans. Your put-downs of Sox fans probably weren't direct, but indirect. In fact I believe even this thread that you've started is a dig at Sox fans.

You know that you've posted things here where you've talked about the great and wonderful Cubbies.

And you know for a fact that I've called you on this stuff previously, even if I'm can't at the moment pull the quotes.

If you're going to post on this Sox fan site and boast about the Cubbies and get your little digs in on the Sox (and IMHO on Sox fans) then you'd better have develop thick skin.

E Coast Sox Fan
02-19-2004, 07:38 PM
I don't think a three year deal would have made sense at this point in his career. One year -- definitely. Will he improve the Cubs this year -- most likely.

I think that signing Sidney Ponson for a similar salary would have made a lot more sense for us.