PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Report on Marvin Benard

Foulke You
02-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before but I found a scouting report from ESPN's website on new White Sox addition and former Giant, Marvin Benard. Sounds like he has his faults but could be a decent pinch hitter and pinch runner. Definitely not a starter at this stage of his career. The only downside is that he sucks at CF and is really another corner outfielder. We'll see what he's got in Tucson.

Scouting Report on Marvin Benard:

2002 Season
The 2002 season was a complete bust for Marvin Benard, who lost his starting job in spring training and was out for most of the second half with torn cartilage in his left knee that required surgery in early July. Benard hit .293 in the first half, a large chunk of it as a pinch-hitter, before he went on the disabled list.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense
Since the strike zone was raised two years ago, Benard has been susceptible to high fastballs, and he seems incapable of laying off those pitches, much to his detriment. Benard rarely played center field, where he became a defensive liability. He took poor routes to the ball, and is much more suited to play one of the corner outfield positions. He is a high-percentage basestealer whose opportunities are limited by lack of playing time.

2003 Outlook
With a year remaining on Benard's three-year, $11.1 million contract, the Giants have been unable to trade him and appear to be stuck with him for another season. He can be counted on to be only a fourth or fifth outfielder, and one of the first hitters off the bench. Benard is not bad in that capacity, with a .267 mark for his career as a pinch-hitter.

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-19-2004, 03:05 PM
yay!

SEALgep
02-19-2004, 05:18 PM
After last year, any kind of pinch hitting production is a bonus. I'm sure he'll do fine.

Brian26
02-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
After last year, any kind of pinch hitting production is a bonus. I'm sure he'll do fine.

Between Rios and Daubach, are bench was on life support last year.

SEALgep
02-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Between Rios and Daubach, are bench was on life support last year. Lol, I really didn't care for Rios, but I liked having Daubach. There was no way we would keep him, nor did I want to, but some guys have a real hard time adjusting from starter to part time/pinch hitter. Daubach was one of those guys. A solid starter/ lousy (at least last year) part time player.

oldcomiskey
02-19-2004, 06:32 PM
it didnt help that Manuel didnt use him correctly either

DrCrawdad
02-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Lol, I really didn't care for Rios, but I liked having Daubach. There was no way we would keep him, nor did I want to, but some guys have a real hard time adjusting from starter to part time/pinch hitter. Daubach was one of those guys. A solid starter/ lousy (at least last year) part time player.

I agree with you. Daubach was ok, IMHO. Rios was a jack-ass. Adios to Rios.

poorme
02-19-2004, 06:50 PM
our bench is a bleeping joke. horrible.

Foulke You
02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
For what it's worth, a Giants fan I work with says it was a good pickup for our Sox and that he is a clutch pinch hitter. Time will tell.

SoxFan76
02-19-2004, 09:22 PM
I liked Daubach. He went from starting for Boston and never hitting less than 20 homers a year, to being benched on a lesser team. But I definitely agree. Manuel didn't know how to use him. Especially since Konerko struggled, Daubach should have played alot more.

kittle42
02-20-2004, 08:24 PM
He sucks.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Is this what Kenny had in mind when he said he was going to go after grinders in the offseason?

poorme
02-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Benard makes Armando Rios look like Hank Aaron. The idea that this guy is our 4th or 5th outfielder is absolutely mind-numbing.

DrCrawdad
02-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
He sucks.

:D:

Your post is a perfect example of why I love my fellow Sox fans.