PDA

View Full Version : John Kass Article 2-19-04

3rdgensoxfan
02-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Enjoy it.

Article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0402190287feb19,1,5962544.column?coll=chi-homepagepromo451-fea)

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 10:36 AM
That's hysterical, thanks for pointing that out.... :smile:

IlliniSox
02-19-2004, 10:48 AM
I loved it, I wrote Kass an email with my compliments. He's right.

akingamongstmen
02-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Brilliant!

:gulp:

delben91
02-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Man, that's really well done. Great piece. :gulp:

SSN721
02-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Great article, good for a mid-morning chuckle, thanks for pointing it out. :smile:

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 01:08 PM
First of all - I like John Kass.

Next - When he writes articles like this, I would prefer he just took the day off instead.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Next - When he writes articles like this, I would prefer he just took the day off instead.

???

I can't see why, it was good for a couple of laughs...

Tekijawa
02-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm assuming the 6 losses were at the Hands of the White sox?

JC456
02-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

I believed once only my wife and I thought Cub fans acted this way. It is nice to know my wife and I aren't the only ones who have to interface Cub fans with this type of thinking. Believe me, I have had my share of run ins with Cub fans who think the world wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Cub team. Every player they get is the best ever. Heck, Kerry Woods was seen walking on water four years ago. The media plays to this mentality of the Cub fandam. I think Kass got it right on the money.

vegyrex
02-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

No kidding!!!!! How dare John Kass even think the flubs will loose 6 games this season. :smile:

dpbyron
02-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Great article. This Cub fever is out of control! How can the signing of Greg Maddux lead every 10 pm news last night?

I like Dan McNeil's idea of just having the Yankmes and Scrubs playing a best of 23 series in April and just canceling the rest of the season...

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
???

I can't see why, it was good for a couple of laughs...

Let me explain.

About three or four years ago Kass wrote a column (and I'm paraphrasing) that basically said Cub fans were stupid, only cared about Sosa, and knew nothing about baseball. He then, as if to illustrate his point, told a story about sitting in the rightfield bleachers and asking the fan next to him if Joe Girardi (who was the Cub catcher at the time) struck out last time up on a fastball or a slider. When the guy didn't know, Kass presented this as proof positive that the guy didn't know anything about baseball. Now I would accept this as a "tongue in cheek" dig if it were not due to the fact that Kass was serious.

Now I've sat in the right field bleachers at Wrigley Field....many times. You're anywhere from 375 to 425 feet from home plate, and your vantage point pretty much makes it impossible to tell a fastball from a slider.

I knew what would happen next, and it did. Over the next few days, I was asked (by Cub fan friends) if all White Sox fans had such incredible vision and depth perception that they could differentiate between a fastball and a slider (or even a hanging slider) from so far away, or was it simply John Kass who had such an eagle eye? I was in no position to defend such a stupid example.

The above example, coupled with the fact that I have a major pet peeve with fans who sit at a game and make prognostication after prognostication (usually wrong), or who watch a play unfold and get hyper-critical after totally mis-understanding the dynamics of what just took place, and usually force me to change my seat in the mid-stream of a game. An example of this would be when a player swings and misses on an obvious hit and run, and the runner is thrown out at second by 35 feet, and the guy next to me starts yelling (like a know-it-all) about how stupid the runner is to try and steal. Just drives me nuts. Or when an opposing hitter scorches a line drive, and Crede makes a diving catch at the line - and the same guy is sitting there telling everybody within earshot about how they pitched to the batter to achieve said result.

I have bowling tonight, and I guarantee you that every Cub fan in the bowling alley will point at the Kass article as proof positive that White Sox fans are bitter and jealous. I'm not bitter and jealous over the Cubs - but I will be forced to defend White Sox fandom nevertheless. Kass supplies the ammunition with columns like these.

p.s. I did e-mail Kass, and asked him how exactly he differentiates between what are sometimes very subtle differences from 425 feet away - he never responded.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 04:10 PM
About three or four years ago Kass wrote a column (and I'm paraphrasing) that basically said Cub fans were stupid, only cared about Sosa, and knew nothing about baseball.

I agree that is a pretty bad thing to write. I'm sure he meant the "Wrigley Field Fans" instead. I know plenty of dopes who frequent the "Shrine" and couldn't tell you who a third of the players are.

I didn't find this article to be that inflammatory towards the Cubs. I thought he was just poking fun at the bravado being shown all of a sudden. I hear radio hosts, TV hosts around our fair city declaring that the World Series is now assured.

I can't imagine your bowling buddies are going to rag on you for that particular column.

Now I've sat in the right field bleachers at Wrigley Field....many times.

Why are you pissing away your hard earned money and giving it to the "enemy"?

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 04:17 PM
I can't imagine your bowling buddies are going to rag on you for that particular column.

You're probably right on this one.

Why are you pissing away your hard earned money and giving it to the "enemy"?

I consider the Cubs to be a potential enemy of the White Sox about as much as I consider Canada to be a potential enemy of the United States.........interleague games (which I can't stand) aside.

As far as going to Wrigley Field, I will readily admit that it's a good place to see a game - lots of history. It's also obvious that they don't have the food, bathroom facilities etc. of Comiskey Park, but to be honest with you I usually don't eat or drink (and subsequently go to the bathroom) all that much when I go to a game.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 04:33 PM
I consider the Cubs to be a potential enemy of the White Sox about as much as I consider Canada to be a potential enemy of the United States.........interleague games (which I can't stand) aside.

What a strange coincidence that the United States' largest trade deficit is with Canada.

As far as going to Wrigley Field, I will readily admit that it's a good place to see a game - lots of history.

I for one never bought into the "history" of Wrigley. The only history that was there left when the Bears left. There's been nothing but futility since the Flubbies started playing there in 1916. It amazes me when I ask Flub fans to give me the number of World Series they've won in that place. All of them go into denial when I tell them the answer is ZERO...

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 04:50 PM
I for one never bought into the "history" of Wrigley. The only history that was there left when the Bears left. There's been nothing but futility since the Flubbies started playing there in 1916. It amazes me when I ask Flub fans to give me the number of World Series they've won in that place. All of them go into denial when I tell them the answer is ZERO...

You're talking about winning history. The place itself overflows with history. Babe Ruth's called shot, Wilson/Cuyler/Stephenson, think of all the hall of famers who have stood (more or less) on the exact same spot where the game is still being played today. Not as much as Yankee Stadium to be sure, but Yankee Stadium lost some of its luster with a botched remodeling job thirty some odd years ago. To deny that Fenway and Wrigley tie the modern game back to the game 90 years ago is just not correct. That was the great tragedy of tearing down Comiskey Park.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 05:01 PM
I guess I just don't have the nostalgia bug when it comes to ballparks. For me they couldn't tear down old Comiskey fast enough. I was also elated when they FINALLY renovated Soldier Field.

I love going through old baseball cards, sports magazines, etc., but the old ballparks just don't do it for me.

KingXerxes
02-20-2004, 10:41 AM
To each his own certainly.

It's not just ballparks with me, but all types of buildings and structures. I guess it's because they tie me back to when I was a kid - and the only care I ever had was getting to grade school on time. At the old Comiskey Park, I used to go to games with my dad and Uncle Leo (now deceased). As I grew up I would go with my friends and sit in the cheap seats - but I would still look down at the area in back of the third base dugout where I used to sit as a kid and remember what it was like.

I can just imagine what it must have been like to have been a kid in New York in the 1950's and have had the Dodgers and Giants beat it out of town. I imagine a lot of those kids must have been absolutely crushed. We still have the White Sox, but I really do miss the old park.

That is maybe the only real aspect of the Cubs that make me envious. Their fans still have the link back to their childhoods.

woodenleg
02-20-2004, 01:14 PM
This article is a -classic- and should be part of the WS canon.

ode to veeck
02-20-2004, 01:40 PM
the banter on the miss the cut off stupid throws to homeplate were especially hilarious