PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Continues with Maddux Celebration

Hangar18
02-19-2004, 08:34 AM
They ran a nice little piece, something known in these parts as
a "CubFluff" piece. Tamron Hall, who seems to be beside herself with the Maddux signing, had a QA session on the couches, normally reserved for special guests/in depth conversation. Well, the guest was Bruce Wolf, and she asked how Excited Chicago was, and can "we" really win the world series now, and Wolf jokingly commented how there were no More Pirate Teams to "Plunder" in getting free players. He said this is the best cub team ever, and what a miraculous job Hendry has done putting the team together (or was it a miraculous job of how the sport is falling apart, teams giving away players, only 1 team interested in a future HOF player, and landing again, in their laps) The piece seemed to be well put together, complete with hilites, cubfluff, and basically propoganda. Mind you, theyve NEVER had Bruce Wolf sitting in the couch area, as if he were a "Guest", and that was definitely the MOST theyve talked cub in a while. as opposed to the constant "hurrah cubs" snippets peppered throughout the Broadcast, now we get "indepth" interviews now. Great.
Wolf casually mentioned how some airline got involved in getting Maddux here ........(ata, which I will never fly now)

skottyj242
02-19-2004, 09:09 AM
All this media attention, although makes me sick, is well deserved. You have to admit it is pretty huge. Although I wouldn't have wanted him I like Mayor Daley staying true to his colors and saying he wished we got him.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 09:12 AM
While it disgusts me as well, the media has a right to give this 2 days of coverage. However, if the circus lasts until tomorrow, then it is overkill...

Hokiesox
02-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Best cubs team ever? I think the team that won 120 games, or whatever might have something to say, if there were still alive.

kittle42
02-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Walking by the Urinal on my way to the train this morning, the marquee out front says "Welcome Back Greg Maddux." I almost puked.

CubKilla
02-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
a "CubFluff" piece. Tamron Hall, who seems to be beside herself with the Maddux signing, had a QA session on the couches, normally reserved for special guests/in depth conversation. Well, the guest was Bruce Wolf, and she asked how Excited Chicago was, and can "we" really win the world series now, and Wolf jokingly commented how there were no More Pirate Teams to "Plunder" in getting free players. He said this is the best cub team ever, and what a miraculous job Hendry has done putting the team together (or was it a miraculous job of how the sport is falling apart, teams giving away players, only 1 team interested in a future HOF player, and landing again, in their laps) The piece seemed to be well put together, complete with hilites, cubfluff, and basically propoganda. Mind you, theyve NEVER had Bruce Wolf sitting in the couch area, as if he were a "Guest", and that was definitely the MOST theyve talked cub in a while. as opposed to the constant "hurrah cubs" snippets peppered throughout the Broadcast, now we get "indepth" interviews now. Great.
Wolf casually mentioned how some airline got involved in getting Maddux here ........(ata, which I will never fly now)

And this reaction wasn't expected? Get over it. There is nothing you can do about it and there is nothing JR will do about it so you're gonna have to bite the bullet and deal with it or, do as I do, and avoid all Chicago media all together and get your news online.

cheeses_h_rice
02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
And this reaction wasn't expected? Get over it. There is nothing you can do about it and there is nothing JR will do about it so you're gonna have to bite the bullet and deal with it or, do as I do, and avoid all Chicago media all together and get your news online.

Agreed.

Let's ignore it and move on, shall we?

steff
02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
I agree Killa. Geez.. what do you want them to report on. "The white Sox DO NOTHING"..

Henry.. the attention is JUSTIFIED. Move on....

thepaulbowski
02-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Breaking news on Fox....Upper Deck construction at Sox Park continues, more at 9 with Walter Jacobson and his perspective.

What else are they suppose to talk about? The "media bias" horse is dead, it's time to get off of it.

SSN721
02-19-2004, 10:34 AM

Completely agreed, since I only joined this winter, is this what most offseasons boil down to, arguments over how biased the media coverage is a couple weeks before spring training? I am already getting rather tired of it. It is a big deal and doesnt bother me that much cuz the Sox havent done jack, so it isnt like it is overshadowing Sox moves.

Dick Allen
02-19-2004, 10:35 AM
No, this attention is NOT justified. Greg Maddux from 6 or 7 years ago, maybe. But this was the lead item on most of the newscasts last night and this morning, which is insane. This Cubmania is out of control, and it keeps feeding on itself. Yes, the Sox have done nothing to deserve any media attention, but it doesn't mean that it has to be made up for by everything the Cubs do or don't do. The media has too big of an influence, especially on the common morons (re: Cubs fans and potential Cub fans). As much as you or I try to ignore this coverage, it right there in front of your face no matter what you do or which way you turn. By the way, when the Sox got Bartolo Colon last year, who is a much better pitcher right now than Maddux, was it the lead story on the newscasts? You know the answer to that.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
No, this attention is NOT justified. Greg Maddux from 6 or 7 years ago, maybe. But this was the lead item on most of the newscasts last night and this morning, which is insane. This Cubmania is out of control, and it keeps feeding on itself. Yes, the Sox have done nothing to deserve any media attention, but it doesn't mean that it has to be made up for by everything the Cubs do or don't do. The media has too big of an influence, especially on the common morons (re: Cubs fans and potential Cub fans). As much as you or I try to ignore this coverage, it right there in front of your face no matter what you do or which way you turn. By the way, when the Sox got Bartolo Colon last year, who is a much better pitcher right now than Maddux, was it the lead story on the newscasts? You know the answer to that.

Two things...the CUBS WERE IN THE NLCS LAST YEAR. Why do we insist on forgetting that? That makes them a successful team, very successful, who added a good pitcher. BIG NEWS in my book.

Second, Colon was the lead story on the WGN news. I don't know about the rest, since I lived in California, but it was first on WGN.

We rip on the Cubs when they don't know what's going on, we rip on the Cubs when they are happy about a player signing. We would have a little more legitimacy if we picked a stance.

CubKilla
02-19-2004, 10:44 AM

I think the acquisitions of Hawkins, Mercker, D Lee, and Walker..... coupled with the addition of Maddux has given the Cubs the right to the media spotlight when it comes to baseball in Chicago.

Whether is should be a lead item on a newscast is another story. But the attention is very much deserved.

At least one baseball team in Chicago is acting like it belongs in the Major League's.

Dick Allen
02-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by UICJason
Two things...the CUBS WERE IN THE NLCS LAST YEAR. Why do we insist on forgetting that? That makes them a successful team, very successful, who added a good pitcher. BIG NEWS in my book.

Second, Colon was the lead story on the WGN news. I don't know about the rest, since I lived in California, but it was first on WGN.

We rip on the Cubs when they don't know what's going on, we rip on the Cubs when they are happy about a player signing. We would have a little more legitimacy if we picked a stance. Yes, they added a good pitcher who is past his prime. And I don't see what being in the NLCS last year has to do with being the lead item on all these newscasts last night AND this morning. That is weak! And I don't know what WGN news you were watching, but ithe Colon was not even close to being the lead item on any that I saw.

Dick Allen
02-19-2004, 10:47 AM
I think the acquisitions of Hawkins, Mercker, D Lee, and Walker..... coupled with the addition of Maddux has given the Cubs the right to the media spotlight when it comes to baseball in Chicago.

Whether is should be a lead item on a newscast is another story. But the attention is very much deserved.

At least one baseball team in Chicago is acting like it belongs in the Major League's. I'm not saying they don't deserve attention, but not to this extent, this is crazy.

CubKilla
02-19-2004, 10:48 AM
We would have a little more legitimacy if we picked a stance.

:sellreinsy

Fridaythe13thJason
02-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Yes, they added a good pitcher who is past his prime. And I don't see what being in the NLCS last year has to do with being the lead item on all these newscasts last night AND this morning. That is weak! And I don't know what WGN news you were watching, but ithe Colon was not even close to being the lead item on any that I saw.

You don't see what being in the NLCS has to do with it? Please tell me you're just reaching now. Here's a lesson: In the world of sports, teams that are successful in the previous year are watched closely when the year starts. People use it as a gauge for what teams might do this year. This is true in all sports. People watched the Bucs closely this year because they were superbowl champs. Everyone was shocked at the Raiders demise because they were in the superbowl. When you're 5 outs away from the World Series, you deserve respect.

Don't know what to tell you about the WGN news...it was the lead. There's only one WGN news. That doesn't really matter to me, but saying that being in the NLCS doesn't matter is remarkably hilarious.

Dick Allen
02-19-2004, 10:55 AM
You don't see what being in the NLCS has to do with it? Please tell me you're just reaching now. Here's a lesson: In the world of sports, teams that are successful in the previous year are watched closely when the year starts. People use it as a gauge for what teams might do this year. This is true in all sports. People watched the Bucs closely this year because they were superbowl champs. Everyone was shocked at the Raiders demise because they were in the superbowl. When you're 5 outs away from the World Series, you deserve respect.

Don't know what to tell you about the WGN news...it was the lead. There's only one WGN news. That doesn't really matter to me, but saying that being in the NLCS doesn't matter is remarkably hilarious. What is hilarious is that you don't listen to what I'm saying. They deserve plenty of attention for what they have done this offseason as a whole. But they have just added an over-the-hill, though still effective pitcher, and the newscasts are treating this like a cure for cancer. They deserve attention, but not overkill.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-19-2004, 11:01 AM
What is hilarious is that you don't listen to what I'm saying. They deserve plenty of attention for what they have done this offseason as a whole. But they have just added an over-the-hill, though still effective pitcher, and the newscasts are treating this like a cure for cancer. They deserve attention, but not overkill.

Why has everyone who hates the Cubs decided Maddux is over the hill. Roger Clemens is 41, and everyone counts on him as the big change in the Astros order.

These are Greg's stats AFTER the break last year.

Post All-Star 3.03 ERA 9 WINS 3 LOSS 1 CG

Over what hill? I listen to you. You just don't make sense. This is more than an effective pitcher.

steff
02-19-2004, 11:20 AM

Oh good grief.. they are the ONLY ones doing anything.

And yes.. Bart's signing was NATIONAL news.

Lip Man 1
02-19-2004, 11:20 AM
I'll say what everyone seems to be reluctant to say.

We're jealous gang.

Let's face it...when it gets to the point that some fans are going ape over Cubbie Love by the media that can only mean one thing.

And you know what I don't blame Cub fans from going bonkers. The Lovable Losers are now acting like a major market team further I wouldn't put it past the Tribune Company to realize this is a chance to completely drive the Sox into utter irrelevence permanently in their own home city. An incredible business opportunity.

All the while Uncle Jerry sits with a smirk on his face saying "Chicago has always been a Cubs town..."

What a friggin' loser.

Lip

steff
02-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes, they added a good pitcher who is past his prime. And I don't see what being in the NLCS last year has to do with being the lead item on all these newscasts last night AND this morning. That is weak! And I don't know what WGN news you were watching, but ithe Colon was not even close to being the lead item on any that I saw.

I first saw it on ESPN. That's National to me..

Dick Allen
02-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by steff
I first saw it on ESPN. That's National to me.. Yes, on ESPN, you would expect that. I'm talking lead item on local newscasts for 2 days.

Dick Allen
02-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Why has everyone who hates the Cubs decided Maddux is over the hill. Roger Clemens is 41, and everyone counts on him as the big change in the Astros order.

These are Greg's stats AFTER the break last year.

Post All-Star 3.03 ERA 9 WINS 3 LOSS 1 CG

Over what hill? I listen to you. You just don't make sense. This is more than an effective pitcher. No, you don't listen to me. It's really irrelevant how good a pitcher you or I think he is, the fact is that this is media overkill, and that's all I'm going to say.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-19-2004, 11:38 AM
No, you don't listen to me. It's really irrelevant how good a pitcher you or I think he is, the fact is that this is media overkill, and that's all I'm going to say.

My question is simple. If a team who is a World Series contender signs a pitcher who is going to the hall of fame and is still a good pitcher who had an ERA of 3 in the second half last year and started his career with this team and won a Cy Young with them, how is it media overkill? There should be TONS of coverage.

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

We're jealous gang.

Lip

B-I-N-G-O!

That's what I hated about the John Kass column this morning. Talk about providing ammunition.

JC456
02-19-2004, 12:43 PM
What's funny, and sorry if this was already stated on some other thread, is why Atlanta let him go! You would think a team with a pitcher needing only 11 wins to reach 300 would let him reach that number in front of the fans who rooted for him for most of his career. Maybe that isn't funny, but I'd say very odd.

My next thought would be, did they know something?

Lasltly, how many more wins is he really worth over say Garland?

jeremyb1
02-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Yeah, I wish I was as smart as Jim Hendry and realized that Greg Maddux was a good pitcher.

jeremyb1
02-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

We're jealous gang.

Let's face it...when it gets to the point that some fans are going ape over Cubbie Love by the media that can only mean one thing.

And you know what I don't blame Cub fans from going bonkers. The Lovable Losers are now acting like a major market team further I wouldn't put it past the Tribune Company to realize this is a chance to completely drive the Sox into utter irrelevence permanently in their own home city. An incredible business opportunity.

All the while Uncle Jerry sits with a smirk on his face saying "Chicago has always been a Cubs town..."

What a friggin' loser.

Two things: First, I don't think the complaint is that the Cubs are getting media attention for hte signing. Its a huge signing, certainly there should be substantial media coverage. The problem is I could never imagine coverage of the Sox signing Maddux in any way ressembling this hoopla. There's no way Bruce Wolf would sit on the couch on the fox morning show to hype the signing and there's no way he'd hope that Maddux earned his 300th win against the White Sox. This isn't merely hyping the Cubs signing its doing so to an unresonable degree and putting down the other team in town at the same time.

Secondly, I'd certainly love to see Maddux in a Sox uniform and I'm upset he's with the Cubs but I'm not sure jealousy is the right word. To me jealousy implies some ability to control a situation and some regret. I don't feel the Cubs outdid us simply because they have more money and at no point did I reasonably expect our team to sign Maddux or any other top flight starting pitcher at least not without trading Maggs.

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by JC456
Lasltly, how many more wins is he really worth over say Garland?

But to compare Maddux (12-16 wins in 2004) to Garland (12-16 wins in 2004) is to miss the point from the Cubs (or their fans) perspective. You need to compare Maddux to either Estes (terrible) or Cruz (unproven). No doubt it's a major step up.

If we went out and signed Maddux, but had to give up Garland in the process - you're correct it could be looked at as a wash. But if we signed Maddux, and that bumped Wright out of the rotation - that's a different story.

Still and all, the coverage has been excessive, but this winter's sports in Chicago have been just horrendus. There is nothing else to cover.