PDA

View Full Version : Trib tries to deflate huge expecations for flubs


MRKARNO
02-18-2004, 09:10 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040218soxview,1,7934773.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I really like this article. It really shows how high expecatations can get and how career years can end up dissapointing fans in the long run.

I just can't see the cubs possibly matching up to the expectations of their fans. It just doesnt happen in this town. I think they will be good, but I think that they are not World Series good by any means

fquaye149
02-18-2004, 10:24 PM
us in 2000?

shbart
02-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Kudos to Bob Vanderberg. I was thinking it as he must have been writing it. The Seaver-Maddux comparison really made me think of the similarity to the '84 Sox. Wouldn't it be funny if Maddux was the Cubs top winner at years end?

SSN721
02-19-2004, 07:43 AM
I could easily see this happening to the Cubs considering nobody on their staff other than Maddux has won more then around 15 games, so I dont understand how most Cubs fans feel that their staff will win every game. I beleive they are fantastic no doubr, would want any of them on the Sox, but they have no track record of being big winners. Only real history their staff has is injury, and I think it will be even worse than last year considering the amount of work they had last year. It could either be a complete breakout season for their staff or a collapse. ANd since their offense isnt mind blowing, I put all their success or failure on how good that staff ends up actually being when the season starts.

mike squires
02-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
us in 2000?

we didn't make the world series in 2000. :)

MarqSox
02-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I just can't see the cubs possibly matching up to the expectations of their fans. It just doesnt happen in this town. I think they will be good, but I think that they are not World Series good by any means
Hope you're right, but any time you have one of the top 3 or 4 pitching staffs -- which the Cubs do -- you're a contender to win it all.

pudge
02-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I remember we had a thread a while back about the most disappointing Sox season... in '84, I hadn't yet picked a team to root for, and I was too young to follow baseball regularly, so I have no memory of it, but that sounds horrible, especially considering the Cubs won the division that year... it makes '03 pale in comparison. I didn't think the '03 team would be that great, but it sounds like everyone was convinced the '84 team would be a lock... and to think the division winner only won 84 games!?

Baby Fisk
02-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by shbart
The Seaver-Maddux comparison really made me think of the similarity to the '84 Sox. Wouldn't it be funny if Maddux was the Cubs top winner at years end?
...with 11 wins, ho ho!

I predict the Cubs will maintain their "tradition" of following a winning season with a losing season.

KingXerxes
02-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
I could easily see this happening to the Cubs considering nobody on their staff other than Maddux has won more then around 15 games, so I dont understand how most Cubs fans feel that their staff will win every game.

Didn't Prior win over 15 games last year?

The Cubs seemingly have a great young staff - but way too much in baseball depends on things that are almost out of the control of the team. Injuries could put them on the skids as easily as it could to the Yankees or Red Sox. They do appear to have a reasonable amount of depth for 2004, but that can dissappear in a heartbeat. If they stay healthy, and get into the playoffs though - I've got to believe that they'll be pretty tough. I think everybody on the roster has playoff experience (at least I heard something like that on the radio).

Huisj
02-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
we didn't make the world series in 2000. :)

nor in '83. nor did the cubs last year. what's your point?