PDA

View Full Version : How badly would the team have to implode before JR sells?


A. Cavatica
02-18-2004, 08:48 PM
How badly would the team have to implode before JR sells?

Unless this year's team shocks me and is good -- i.e, Garland wins 18 games, Harris bats .280, Reed gets 400 ABs good -- then I'm kind of hoping for the train wreck scenario.

I would like to see Ozzie give Trammell some competition for "worst shortstop-turned-manager ever". I would like to see Frank dealt for peanuts, Magglio dumped at midseason, Buehrle or E-Lo sent to the Yankees for cash. I would like to see Juan Uribe leading off -- or batting cleanup, for that matter. I would like to see Billy Koch tried as a starter. I would like to see the Sox draw 800,000. I would like to see the Sox have to pay a Spanish UHF station to carry their games.

(The Cubs are even welcome to make it back to the NLCS, as long as they lose as painfully as possible.)

But the point is I want the Sox fans who don't follow the team as closely as we do to realize what a sham this ownership group is, and to simply walk away. And then the Reinsdorf era might finally end.

dllrbll7
02-18-2004, 09:00 PM
What good does ending the Reinsdorf era if there isnt a single fan left. If we draw your 800,000 do u really think the team would be bought and kept in Chicago? I would love to see Reinsdorf and co. find a new ball club to take over but this is not the way to hope for it.

Lip Man 1
02-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Ed Herrmann told me something this week that I found interesting. Now I'll be the first to state that I don't understand high finance, my wife is an office manager so she might, but I don't.

Anyway I always thought that good ole' Uncle Jerk er.....Uncle Jerry has the power to do what he wants as CEO and if he wanted to sell...then that was it.

But according to Ed that's not the case. (Ed by the way is friends with Sox minority members Jay Pinsky and Aaron Mickelson)

Ed said that for Jerry or any other owner to want to sell out the entire Sox board has to vote 'yes'. In otherwords if say Jay and Aaron want to sell the club and Jerry says 'no,' you have no sale.

If Jerry wants to sell and Jay or Aaron say 'no,' then again no sale.

I was shocked since I can't see how under any reasonable circumstances you are going to get 14 or 15 partial owners to all agree to sell out. That's not very realistic.

Just tossing this out there. perhaps someone else who has business knowledge (are you listening Joe Crede or gosox 41) can explain how this all works in connection with the Sox board.

And with a new 20 (or 30?) year lease around their neck the Sox won't be going anywhere. First off the state would sue BIG time if they tried to break it, then the city would follow. (Unless they have an 'out' clause in the new lease)

Lip

soxnut
02-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
How badly would the team have to implode before JR sells?

Unless this year's team shocks me and is good -- i.e, Garland wins 18 games, Harris bats .280, Reed gets 400 ABs good -- then I'm kind of hoping for the train wreck scenario.

I would like to see Ozzie give Trammell some competition for "worst shortstop-turned-manager ever". I would like to see Frank dealt for peanuts, Magglio dumped at midseason, Buehrle or E-Lo sent to the Yankees for cash. I would like to see Juan Uribe leading off -- or batting cleanup, for that matter. I would like to see Billy Koch tried as a starter. I would like to see the Sox draw 800,000. I would like to see the Sox have to pay a Spanish UHF station to carry their games.

(The Cubs are even welcome to make it back to the NLCS, as long as they lose as painfully as possible.)

But the point is I want the Sox fans who don't follow the team as closely as we do to realize what a sham this ownership group is, and to simply walk away. And then the Reinsdorf era might finally end.




This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board. Why would anyone want to buy a team in that type of condition. Stop comparing what the Cubs are doing compared to what the Sox are doing. There is a good possibility that this is going to be a good team. This team is not the Tigers, God you'd think this team has noone on it that can play baseball.....stop it----all of you.

soxnut
02-18-2004, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lip Man 1
[B]Anyway I always thought that good ole' Uncle Jerk er.....Uncle Jerry has the power to do what he wants as CEO and if he wanted to sell...then that was it.

Ya know for some reason alot of people have thought the same way. But, JR has said himself, for years...... that he has to answer to all parties involved who own the organization. But of course noone wants to think that JR ever tells the truth....... so there ya go....................

Hangar18
02-18-2004, 11:04 PM
If I were on that board, and was a minority owner of the SOX, I would have been PISSED YEARS ago at the direction this team has taken. Jerry Simply must sell, or step down or something.
Better Yet, LET THEM MOVE. GET OUT. I'll help them pack.
BUT LEAVE THE WHITE SOX NAME HERE. Jerry Reinsdorf Doesnt deserve to be associated with the name. Let him move to Tampa or VIrginia and rename the team the Thunderbirds, and maybe the DevilRays move HERE and become the WHITE SOX
again. Friends, I believe this might be the best scenario we can hope for...... Let them move, and keep the name here for us.
Fact is, Im not waiting for their 30 yr lease to run out, and us still not having been to the SERIES to decide what I want to do ....
Maybe I'll take a Decade off. stop following this sport and the sox altogether til Reindorf Dies or they move.........

soxnut
02-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
If I were on that board, and was a minority owner of the SOX, I would have been PISSED YEARS ago at the direction this team has taken. Jerry Simply must sell, or step down or something.
Better Yet, LET THEM MOVE. GET OUT. I'll help them pack.
BUT LEAVE THE WHITE SOX NAME HERE. Jerry Reinsdorf Doesnt deserve to be associated with the name. Let him move to Tampa or VIrginia and rename the team the Thunderbirds, and maybe the DevilRays move HERE and become the WHITE SOX
again. Friends, I believe this might be the best scenario we can hope for...... Let them move, and keep the name here for us.
Fact is, Im not waiting for their 30 yr lease to run out, and us still not having been to the SERIES to decide what I want to do ....
Maybe I'll take a Decade off. stop following this sport and the sox altogether til Reindorf Dies or they move.........


That's ridiculous.............

mdep524
02-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
How badly would the team have to implode before JR sells?

Unless this year's team shocks me and is good -- i.e, Garland wins 18 games, Harris bats .280, Reed gets 400 ABs good -- then I'm kind of hoping for the train wreck scenario.

I would like to see Ozzie give Trammell some competition for "worst shortstop-turned-manager ever". I would like to see Frank dealt for peanuts, Magglio dumped at midseason, Buehrle or E-Lo sent to the Yankees for cash. I would like to see Juan Uribe leading off -- or batting cleanup, for that matter. I would like to see Billy Koch tried as a starter. I would like to see the Sox draw 800,000. I would like to see the Sox have to pay a Spanish UHF station to carry their games.

(The Cubs are even welcome to make it back to the NLCS, as long as they lose as painfully as possible.)

But the point is I want the Sox fans who don't follow the team as closely as we do to realize what a sham this ownership group is, and to simply walk away. And then the Reinsdorf era might finally end.

This is pretty stupid and useless to think about.

OK, our owner sucks. We all know it, get over it. Just because he sucks doesn't mean the baseball does. He is not going to sell, so move on.

gosox41
02-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
How badly would the team have to implode before JR sells?

Unless this year's team shocks me and is good -- i.e, Garland wins 18 games, Harris bats .280, Reed gets 400 ABs good -- then I'm kind of hoping for the train wreck scenario.

I would like to see Ozzie give Trammell some competition for "worst shortstop-turned-manager ever". I would like to see Frank dealt for peanuts, Magglio dumped at midseason, Buehrle or E-Lo sent to the Yankees for cash. I would like to see Juan Uribe leading off -- or batting cleanup, for that matter. I would like to see Billy Koch tried as a starter. I would like to see the Sox draw 800,000. I would like to see the Sox have to pay a Spanish UHF station to carry their games.

(The Cubs are even welcome to make it back to the NLCS, as long as they lose as painfully as possible.)

But the point is I want the Sox fans who don't follow the team as closely as we do to realize what a sham this ownership group is, and to simply walk away. And then the Reinsdorf era might finally end.

I've been calling people out on that all off season. A lot of people here hate JR and complain about the way the team is handled but are right there to support them when push comes to shove. They'll use excuses like it being in addiction to family tradition. All that's nice, but it doesn't make up for the fact that these guys are no better then JR, and in fact may be worse because they are supposedly making him that much richer. JR lies to the fans everyone's pissed. People here spend hours spewing negative stuff on the Sox but then rationalize going to games. Who's kidding who?

I've been saying all year the way to get JR to sell is to stop going to games. These people are making their bed and sleeping in it. They want Jerry to sell, but won't go through the steps to help insure that it happens.

Bob

gosox41
02-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Ed Herrmann told me something this week that I found interesting. Now I'll be the first to state that I don't understand high finance, my wife is an office manager so she might, but I don't.

Anyway I always thought that good ole' Uncle Jerk er.....Uncle Jerry has the power to do what he wants as CEO and if he wanted to sell...then that was it.

But according to Ed that's not the case. (Ed by the way is friends with Sox minority members Jay Pinsky and Aaron Mickelson)

Ed said that for Jerry or any other owner to want to sell out the entire Sox board has to vote 'yes'. In otherwords if say Jay and Aaron want to sell the club and Jerry says 'no,' you have no sale.

If Jerry wants to sell and Jay or Aaron say 'no,' then again no sale.

I was shocked since I can't see how under any reasonable circumstances you are going to get 14 or 15 partial owners to all agree to sell out. That's not very realistic.

Just tossing this out there. perhaps someone else who has business knowledge (are you listening Joe Crede or gosox 41) can explain how this all works in connection with the Sox board.

And with a new 20 (or 30?) year lease around their neck the Sox won't be going anywhere. First off the state would sue BIG time if they tried to break it, then the city would follow. (Unless they have an 'out' clause in the new lease)

Lip

I don't know how the board is set up or what parameters they operate under. It could be entirely true or not.

But Lip you need to keep in mind that they're are a lot of pissed minority holders who want something to happen to the organization to shake it up. Remember what I wrtoe earlier about the finances? Not making any money and not winning is nor making for a healthy combination.

Ask Ed Hermann if he knows of any legit offers that have come in and been rejected.

Bob

steff
02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I don't know how the board is set up or what parameters they operate under. It could be entirely true or not.

But Lip you need to keep in mind that they're are a lot of pissed minority holders who want something to happen to the organization to shake it up. Remember what I wrtoe earlier about the finances? Not making any money and not winning is nor making for a healthy combination.

Ask Ed Hermann if he knows of any legit offers that have come in and been rejected.

Bob


Bob.. we don't know that there are "a lot" of pissed members.. and IMO I don't think there are. Looking from the business end of things these guys are not loosing money by breaking even and reaping all the tax benefits (if the "reports" are true). Some of them aren't even sports fans, so I honestly don't think they care as much as we'd like them to.
This is a legit way to structure a board. Not very wise.. IMO though and FWIW, the way I have always heard it's been.

Hokiesox
02-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
If I were on that board, and was a minority owner of the SOX, I would have been PISSED YEARS ago at the direction this team has taken. Jerry Simply must sell, or step down or something.
Better Yet, LET THEM MOVE. GET OUT. I'll help them pack.
BUT LEAVE THE WHITE SOX NAME HERE. Jerry Reinsdorf Doesnt deserve to be associated with the name. Let him move to Tampa or VIrginia and rename the team the Thunderbirds, and maybe the DevilRays move HERE and become the WHITE SOX
again. Friends, I believe this might be the best scenario we can hope for...... Let them move, and keep the name here for us.
Fact is, Im not waiting for their 30 yr lease to run out, and us still not having been to the SERIES to decide what I want to do ....
Maybe I'll take a Decade off. stop following this sport and the sox altogether til Reindorf Dies or they move.........

So we can be the Cleveland Browns of baseball? Doesn't make sense.

skottyj242
02-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Remember what happened when the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore?

If the Sox tank the season there would be no interested buyers. You don't sell something at the bottom you try to get out on top. The whole buy low sell high theory. I think the only way the team will get sold is if we put together a couple of awesome years and Reinsdorf "unexpectantly" dies of dissapears.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Wishing that the Sox fall apart and draw 800,000 fans!? That is one of the worst things I have ever heard a Sox "fan" say ever! Are you sure that you're a Sox fan? :angry:

If the Sox completely fall apart and can't draw, what entrepeneur in their right mind would buy the team!? Think before you rant...

PaulDrake
02-19-2004, 09:19 AM
If the Sox completely fall apart and can't draw, what entrepeneur in their right mind would buy the team!? Think before you rant... Many an entrepeneur has taken a loser and turned it into a winner. That is the kind of thing some entrepeneurs do. Face it. As long as this ownership group is in place our chances of getting where we all want to go are very slim.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Many an entrepeneur has taken a loser and turned it into a winner. That is the kind of thing some entrepeneurs do. Face it. As long as this ownership group is in place our chances of getting where we all want to go are very slim.

Isn't that kind of rare in baseball though? Not to mention that buying the Sox wouldn't be a very cheap venture.

But yeah, it is possible...

Do we have a color for unlikely hypothetical situations?

SSN721
02-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
Many an entrepeneur has taken a loser and turned it into a winner. That is the kind of thing some entrepeneurs do. Face it. As long as this ownership group is in place our chances of getting where we all want to go are very slim.

Very slim yes, but, my god, if only 800,000 fans show up I highly doubt he will keep the team here if he/she gets a lucrative offer from another town. We have already shown we are surly fans that want a winner, if a person buys this team for their enjoyment it isnt the best team to get lots of work, might be happier going to city where expectations arent high and there isnt a competing product 9 miles north. I think hoping for a collapse and no attendence this year is awful for a Sox fan to want to happen regardless of the result. I think it will only lead to the team being bought and moved in that position, and there is no guarantee when/if another team will move back here to replace them. This whole convsersation disturbs me.

gosox41
02-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by steff
Bob.. we don't know that there are "a lot" of pissed members.. and IMO I don't think there are. Looking from the business end of things these guys are not loosing money by breaking even and reaping all the tax benefits (if the "reports" are true). Some of them aren't even sports fans, so I honestly don't think they care as much as we'd like them to.
This is a legit way to structure a board. Not very wise.. IMO though and FWIW, the way I have always heard it's been.

I wouldn't put too much thought into those reports. And I've heard rumblings to the contrary about the owners.

Bob