PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Dan

poorme
02-18-2004, 08:43 PM
I can't see how anyone can stand to listen to this guy. In the course of about 30 seconds he said the Sox drew 1.3 million in attendance last year, were in contention the whole year, and it was the fan's fault for not showing up. When it was pointed out that the actually drew 1.9 million, he said "that's still terrible."

ChiSox14305635
02-18-2004, 08:52 PM
And his arch-enemy Pappy North is spewing the same stuff. Looks like they found common ground.

voodoochile
02-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Maybe he is bucking for a slot on the new all Chicago sports network...

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I can't see how anyone can stand to listen to this guy. In the course of about 30 seconds he said the Sox drew 1.3 million in attendance last year, were in contention the whole year, and it was the fan's fault for not showing up. When it was pointed out that the actually drew 1.9 million, he said "that's still terrible."

Is "Dangerous Dan", Dan McNeil?

Anyway, I heard few minutes of Mike North. North was babblering on about the Sox poor attendance compared to the Cubbies. North mentioned Sox attendance in '83, '84. What that dip (feces) glossed over is the FACT that the Sox outdrew the Cubbies in BOTH of those years, 1984 being a year the Cubbies won their division!!!

poorme
02-18-2004, 08:59 PM
"Dangerous" Dan used to be Chet Coppock's towell boy back in the 80s. I would have expected him to learn something about baseball over the course of 15 years, but no.

ChiSox14305635
02-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Is "Dangerous Dan", Dan McNeil?

Anyway, I heard few minutes of Mike North. North was babblering on about the Sox poor attendance compared to the Cubbies. North mentioned Sox attendance in '83, '84. What that dip (feces) glossed over is the FACT that the Sox outdrew the Cubbies in BOTH of those years, 1984 being a year the Cubbies won their division!!!

:ass:

Facts? I don't need no stinkin' facts! I probably snuck into Old Comiskey Park, like I used to do at Wrigley Field for Da Bears. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to talk about Fritzy some more. HE'S MY GUY!

JRIG
02-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Mac's the biggest Sox fan I've met in the media. Believe me, he's on our side. A little too protective of KW, but everybody has his faults.

I didn't hear the context of these remarks, but I know many times during the course of last season he mentioned that he was tired of hearing about attendance and would just be happy sitting with the real Sox fans who were showing up.

Give him a mulligan on this one, if the comments posted are indeed accurate.

munchman33
02-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Honestly, it wasn't until late September that I considered us really out of it. We had a terrible May and June, but it's not like we were double digits out. I tend to agree with him that the fans should have came out more last year.

Sometimes I think Sox fans look more for reasons not to support the team than they do for reasons to support the team.

-Munchie

SSN721
02-19-2004, 08:13 AM
I heard that driving home last night as well. I was screaming at the radio that it was 1.9 million, and noone had any idea, they were all guessing. I usually like Dan, but get your facts before you grossly underestimate your own teams attendence, he only makes it look worse. And I was upset that he failed to mention how awful the Sox were at the beginning of the season and once they started winning in the second half they were getting huge walk up crowds. Being a Sox fan he should know that you just have to win somewhat consistently and fans will start showing up. It seems like lately he has been more pro-Cub than pro-Sox which upsets me a bit because he always says how he is a Sox fan. Not like I am gonna stop listening or anything, just funny cuz Harry is the biggest Cub fan on that show and he seems to be the most enthusiastic Sox supporter I have heard all winter. Depressing really. :(:

steff
02-19-2004, 08:16 AM
Dan is a tool.

Talks out of both sides of his mouth, and has his head so far up Williams butt, it's sickening.

As far as Sox fans in the media.. Dave Wills has that title hands down. Yea, he works for them, but he's not afraid to go balls out and call them out when they make bonehead moves.

wdelaney72
02-19-2004, 09:09 AM
I've been a listener of Dan McNeil since 1995. Although, I've never actually met him, I've come to a few conclusions about him.

1) He's a damn good radio talk show host. Although I don't always agree with him, he's a professional, he is knowlegeable about sports, he's quick witted, and he has a great on-air personality.
2) Ouside of his radio show, he strikes me as being a drill-rod. He tends to get on his high horse about really stupid things (Sox Fans attendance, Grammar, Seat weaseling, etc...) He appears to have temper issues. And then there's music. Good God, put the seventies in the rearview!
3) Most of all, he is usually very passionate about having facts to back up an argument. He missed the boat on this one. Give him a break. We all make mistakes.

He's entitled to his opinion, but I don't agree with him one bit on the attendance thing. A restaurant doesn't offer a crappy menu and then tell customers if more poeple come and eat, they'll improve the food. Yes, the Sox were winning in 2000 and attendance didn't reflect the team's success. The simple truth is that Sox fans are tired of being continually kicked in the teeth by JR. Many have just moved on and the remaining fans just don't have any faith in the organ-i-zation. I have 2 very small children and live in the far Northern suburbs. I make it to maybe 2 or 3 games a year. That's the best I can do. However, my motivation would be a lot greater if I believed the team had a chance to go to the world series. Here's a message to JR... Start hanging some world series championship banners in the stadium and you'll see the attendance pick up. Otherwise, the Sox will continue to be the greatest second place franchise in baseball history.

Fungo
02-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by steff
Dan is a tool.

Talks out of both sides of his mouth, and has his head so far up Williams butt, it's sickening.

As far as Sox fans in the media.. Dave Wills has that title hands down. Yea, he works for them, but he's not afraid to go balls out and call them out when they make bonehead moves.

Dave Wills is by far the biggest Sox supporter, I'll agree with that. However, I'll disagree with you on the McNeil part. I've talked with him on several occasions at a neighborhood bar he frequents in NW Indiana and he strikes me as a straight shooter. I'll agree to a point about the Williams statement, but have thought that that wasn't somewhat of a front because of the Sox ties to AM 1000 and to have one-up on North. "Off the air" we've had a discussion about how we feel KW lets his ego get in the way at times when it comes to players acquired in trades. He feels the need to get some immediate self gratification to try and prove he made a good move, like in the cases of Willie Harris, Neil Cotts and a Jon Adkins who has no business being anywhere near a Major League club.
The Mac, Jurko and Harry show, IMO, is the best thing going as far as local sports radio in Chicago.

Mammoo
02-19-2004, 01:43 PM
...but Danny Mac really worked over John "Judy" Garland last night on the show, calling him a sissy with no heart.

Can't say that I disagree.

I think a caller opined that hed take JG over Maddux. McNeil went off stating, quite correctly, that Maddux on his worst day can out pitch the once highly touted but disappointing Garland.

It was good radio.

Kudos to Danny Mac for stepping out on the flagship :gulp:

Foulke You
02-19-2004, 02:39 PM
What never ceases to amaze me about Chicago Sports jocks, and I'm not singling out Dan Mac, is that so few of them know their Chicago Sports facts before commenting on stuff. They take these strong stances on so many topics yet so few of them will do any research on topics. It is like listening to a couple of drunken idiots at the local bar who really don't know as much as they think they know (but sounding like they do) and then mouthing off and getting upset when someone proves them wrong or disagrees with them.

It shouldn't be this way. If your whole job is to talk Chicago sports, would it not be beneficial to research your topic before sounding like an ass? I'm starting to get very disgusted with Chicago sports radio in general and becoming a believer in PHG's philosophy that the best thing to do is just not listen to it anymore.

mdep524
02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
The Mac, Jurko and Harry show, IMO, is the best thing going as far as local sports radio in Chicago.

Agreed.

Though there really isn't any competition.

Dub25
02-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Dan is a tool.

I agree about Dave Wills for the most of the time. Although, he was very protective when it came to Jerry Manual. I remember some games when Manual made very questionable moves and before he would take calls after the came he would give out warnings about how he didn't want to hear fans complain about the managing. Sounded like he didn't want to get in trouble for questioning the field manager. It got to be a regular occurence for a period that I found myself tuning into J Hood on the score for Sox post game.

Brian26
02-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Dan is a tool.

My personal favorite Wills tirade last year was on Armando Rios after that Sunday afternoon game sometime in May when Rios couldn't get the bunt down late in the game. Wills delicately, without being an ass, said that some guys are bitching about playing time and then can't do fundamental stuff like bunt in key situations....and he called out Rios by name. Pretty funny stuff. Rios was a drillrod.