PDA

View Full Version : Pujols close to signing extension(Sox related)

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Just heard at the end of SportsCenter on ESPN that the Cardinals are close to signing Pujols to a 7 year extension worth $100,000,000. Now that's $14 million a year and Pujols has put up remarkable numbers in his first three seasons. Hopefully this and Vlad's contract will lower Magglio's asking price.

hold2dibber
02-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Just heard at the end of SportsCenter on ESPN that the Cardinals are close to signing Pujols to a 7 year extension worth $100,000,000. Now that's $14 million a year and Pujols has put up remarkable numbers in his first three seasons. Hopefully this and Vlad's contract will lower Magglio's asking price.

I'm not convinced that Maggs is still looking for a deal worth that kind of money. I'm concerned that he just doesn't want to re-sign with the Sox, period.

batmanZoSo
02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

Magglio's not as good as Pujols. But he is damn close. Offer Maggs 6 year 72 million, which is what Tejada got. They're about identical in value in my opinion. Magglio's a little better hitter, Tejada plays a speed position. If Magglio turned that down, then what the hell...

Man Soo Lee
02-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Keep in mind that Pujols would still be arbitration eligible for the next three years. It will be interesting to see what the value of the contract is for the four years of free agency that it covers. It will be more than $14M per year.

MRKARNO
02-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Maggs will probably get an average of 11-12 mil per in his contract

SSN721
02-19-2004, 08:10 AM
I think it will show him that the ceiling is around 14 mil, so I dont think he can expect to get more than 13. If we can offer him a contract for 12-13 a year for 5-6 years, I think that is the most we should offer, if we can give him that and he still wants to test the market than the hell with him. I dont think he will do much better. Unfortunately even if he gets that offer, we'll never know if the majority of it was deferred so be hard to tell if he left for more money or because management wasnt reasonable to him.

Mickster
02-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I think it will show him that the ceiling is around 14 mil, so I dont think he can expect to get more than 13. If we can offer him a contract for 12-13 a year for 5-6 years, I think that is the most we should offer, if we can give him that and he still wants to test the market than the hell with him. I dont think he will do much better. Unfortunately even if he gets that offer, we'll never know if the majority of it was deferred so be hard to tell if he left for more money or because management wasnt reasonable to him.

The only thing the Pujols deal shows is that St. Louis is willing to pay him $100mil over 7 years. This shows nothing of market value. Had Pujols been a free agent, fielding offers from several teams including the Yankmees, we would be better suited to state with more certainty what the "market" will pay for a player with his talents.

That being said, I certainly don't think that Maggs will get the money that he is looking for on the FA market.

skottyj242
02-19-2004, 08:25 AM
I think this deal should be comprable to what we offer Mags, though not as much. We're talking about a guy with ten more homers, about twenty five RBI's and thirty more percentage points batting average. About 11-13 a year, no deferred. Remember though what happened with Albert Belle.

steff
02-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by skottyj242
I think this deal should be comprable to what we offer Mags, though not as much. We're talking about a guy with ten more homers, about twenty five RBI's and thirty more percentage points batting average. About 11-13 a year, no deferred. Remember though what happened with Albert Belle.

Albert did what he was paid to do, although to late since the other 8 players were stinking up the joint, too. It's not like the guy held a gun to Jerry's head making him agree to the terms of the contract given to him. And also.. I'm confident he would rather still be playing that suffering the hip ailment he has.

Hullett_Fan
02-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by skottyj242
I think this deal should be comprable to what we offer Mags, though not as much. We're talking about a guy with ten more homers, about twenty five RBI's and thirty more percentage points batting average.

That last point (Pujols has 30 more pts on BA) is key. Maggs should get $10 mil per year for 5 years, no more.

Also, Cards will not have the $$$ for Matt Morris. Anyone here interested in offering him a contract once we dump Konerko, Thomas, Valentin and Koch's salaries in 2005? How about Rentaria?