PDA

View Full Version : Cheer up! The White Sox make sportscenter....

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-18-2004, 06:37 PM
..as one of the teams that the Yankees play in one of their important series in 2004. The opening series at home for the Yankees is April 8-11 vs our beloved. Man, I hope the Sox can atleast open up the season in Chicago with a few wins.

MRKARNO
02-18-2004, 06:41 PM
If the White Sox take 3 or 4 from the yanks, the "Hey the White Sox look like a playoff contender" bandwagon will appear from nowhere. If they lose, no one will really care, they will just be the victim of the yanks

saltwater farmer
02-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Will Ozzie skip Buehrle for this "important" series ?

Rocklive99
02-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Im just happy to get it over with early, hopefully AROD will go into one of those slumps Giambi went into after becoming a Yankee ;)

batmanZoSo
02-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
..as one of the teams that the Yankees play in one of their important series in 2004. The opening series at home for the Yankees is April 8-11 vs our beloved. Man, I hope the Sox can atleast open up the season in Chicago with a few wins.

As long as they play with fire and heart, they'll win. We're just as good now as we were at the beginning of last year. Remember we didn't start off with Alomar and Everett. And they didn't take us anywhere either.

Geeterman1
02-18-2004, 07:28 PM
The way I see it is that the Sox are in the same position they were last preseason. The only difference is that we don't have Colon, but instead we have Loaiza. Yeah yeah, last year we had Loaiza too but nobody expected him to put up the numbers he did, so we went into the season thinking he was going to be mediocre. Even so, the Sox were still predicted to win the division. In other words, the Sox potential for this year, is the same as it was for last year, 2 good starters and 3 mediocre starting pitchers, so I don't see why everybody is so negative this preseason while everybody else was so positive last.....

RichFitztightly
02-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Geeterman1
The way I see it is that the Sox are in the same position they were last preseason. The only difference is that we don't have Colon, but instead we have Loaiza. Yeah yeah, last year we had Loaiza too but nobody expected him to put up the numbers he did, so we went into the season thinking he was going to be mediocre. Even so, the Sox were still predicted to win the division. In other words, the Sox potential for this year, is the same as it was for last year, 2 good starters and 3 mediocre starting pitchers, so I don't see why everybody is so negative this preseason while everybody else was so positive last.....

I thought about that too, and this is what I came up with. Last year we were supposed to have 2 Impact Pitchers 1 or 2 really good pitchers and 1 average pitcher. Instead we got 1 Impact pitcher, 2 really good pitchers, 1 average pitcher, 1 group of bad pitchers as illustrated below.

Loazia had the year Buerhle was supposed to have
Beurhle had the season not quite what Colon was supposed to have
Colon had the year Garland was supposed to have.
Garland had the year the number 5 starter was supposed to have.
The number 5 starter was mostly just a healthy body.

From those under achieving results, they down-graded. Anything can happen with Garland, but at this point people would be pleasantly surprised if he gets 14+ wins this year. I think last year, most fans were counting on a result like that last year.

poorme
02-18-2004, 08:10 PM
You can rationalize it any way you want if it makes you feel better. However, the reality is we lost our #2 pitcher and have no one to take his place.

Flukes like Loaiza come around once a decade. It's silliness to assume we'll find another one this year.

jamteh
02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Besides our starting pitching, I think our bullpen, going in, is much more suspect than last year. I think everyone thought Koch was going to be amazing and that guys like Tom Gordon, Gary Glover and Kelly Wunsch would be adequate enough to get the ball in lights-out Marte's hands in the late innings. This bullpen could turn out to be decent, but I'm more concerned than last year.

I do hope Olivo and Crede break out of their shells this year. Olivo couldn't hit the change to save his life last year. Hopefully, he'll make some adjustments, and Crede looked like a bush-leaguer until the second half. Hopefully, he'll come out like gangbusters this year.

If all goes well, we'll have a decent first half, pick up a better second baseman around the All-Star break, and, if we're really lucky, pick up an above-average starter as well.

CWSGuy406
02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Looking at the schedule, it doesnt say if the Hawks play any in March. If they do start on April 5, they have two in KC, presumably Buerhle and Loaiza. That means, for NY, we'll go with our "guns" of Garland, Shoenwise (OH GOD) and Buerhle.

TommyJohn
02-19-2004, 12:32 PM

Last year, it was actually being stated that the White Sox
would give the Yankees a tough fight if they met in the
playoffs. This year? I don't even want to think of the damage
the yankees will inflict on the Sox' crack pitching staff.

Tekijawa
02-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by saltwater farmer
Will Ozzie skip Buehrle for this "important" series ?

Unless Buehrle is our opening day starter or we go with a 4 man rotation it looks like Buehrle will have to wait for the Playoff to pitch at Yankee Stadium....

P.S. I think we start the season with 6 strait losses maybe more?

sas1974
02-19-2004, 12:49 PM
I am not worried about the Yankees. We have bigger problems than worrying about a team we play 6 times. I figure we should take AT LEAST 2 of those. I think our focus should be on the teams we play 19 times a year and couldn't beat last year.

CubKilla
02-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
That means, for NY, we'll go with our "guns" of Garland, Shoenwise (OH GOD) and Buerhle.

:burly

"I hope Ozzie doesn't sit me in NY just to save me for the KC series since KC is a division rival."

HITMEN OF 77
02-19-2004, 01:11 PM
If the Sox sweep all 4 from the Yanks, who's shaving there head with me?

SoxxoS
02-19-2004, 01:15 PM
I was just wondering if it was too much to ask NOT to have Scott Shoenweis or Dan Wright in the rotation at any point this season.

BeerHandle
02-19-2004, 01:35 PM

I love it. We have owned the Yankees the last few seasons!

minastirith67
02-19-2004, 01:47 PM
A lot of people on this post are assuming that the Yanks have our number...which, I would remind them, they don't have, especially if you look at the past couple of seasons. Sure, NY will be under a lot of pressure to perform as it is their home opening series but we can and will stick it to 'em and (hopefully) embarrass King George and entourage.