PDA

View Full Version : How does everyone feel about the maddux signing?

MRKARNO
02-18-2004, 05:12 PM
I know that I dont feel too mad that they signed him. They are clearly overpaying him. He is on the downside of his career. All his numbers have been steadily moving downward since 1999 pretty much except that fluke in 2002. Now had they taken that same 7.5 mil per year, and given it to a Sidney Ponson-type, then I would be scared. They could have had Ponson if they were going to spend that money. Now, they have little flexibility to make a move in midseason like they did last year and last year, it was Simon and Lofton which really gave them the X-factor to win last year.

I'm really not all that concerned. The maddux signing is overrated.

Anyone else?

Soxfan7070
02-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Good for them I say. I thought the NL Central would be close between the Flubs and the 'stros but now with Maddux, I think it puts the Flubs in front IMO...not that I care too much.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-18-2004, 05:19 PM
I think its the perfect signing. Jim Hendry really impresses me. Money isn't an issue with them, and there's no way it can hurt.

1999 Atl 33 33 4 0 219.1 258 103 87 16 37 136 19 9 0 0 -- 3.57
2000 Atl 35 35 6 3 249.1 225 91 83 19 42 190 19 9 0 0 -- 3.00
2001 Atl 34 34 3 3 233.0 220 86 79 20 27 173 17 11 0 0 -- 3.05
2002 Atl 34 34 0 0 199.1 194 67 58 14 45 118 16 6 0 0 -- 2.62
2003 Atl 36 36 1 0 218.1 225 112 96 24 33 124 16 11 0 0 -- 3.96

I'll take that anyday. He was still 16-11 last year after starting terribly. Certainly, it could've been scarier if they had signed Colon or Ponson, but I think this move is really smart.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-18-2004, 05:23 PM
I don't really mind that the cubs signed him but the thing that makes me steam is all the cocky cub fans at school. I got harassed all day about how the sox suck and will finish 4th in the AL Central while it's already a garunteed yankees-cubs world series. :angry:

Kuzman
02-18-2004, 05:26 PM
right his numbers have been down, but hes a vet and 4 time cy young winner, thats not going to stop him from talking to the young guns that the cubs have. thats what i feer in the cubs... theyve got a great pitcher whispering in the ear of prior and wood maybe making them more dominant.

Palehose13
02-18-2004, 05:45 PM
It doesn't upset me, but when I see my cubbie friends tonight I know that they will irritate me. My response to them will be (and in a civilized tone) something along the lines of "We thought Wells was going to put us over the top in 2001 and look what happened." My point (in case they don't get it) is that all 162 games need to be played and even though they made good acquistions this offseason I don't think they have a lock on the division, let alone the NL championship.

MRKARNO
02-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
It doesn't upset me, but when I see my cubbie friends tonight I know that they will irritate me. My response to them will be (and in a civilized tone) something along the lines of "We thought Wells was going to put us over the top in 2001 and look what happened." My point (in case they don't get it) is that all 162 games need to be played and even though they made good acquistions this offseason I don't think they have a lock on the division, let alone the NL championship.

I really like the david wells analogy

KingXerxes
02-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Although I think they overpaid Maddux, teams usually do that if they feel somebody is the "finishing touch" on a competitive roster - so for that I'd give the Cubs a pass.

Money aside, when you think about it, the Cubs have replaced Shawn Estes with Greg Maddux. Even if Maddux is on the downside of his career, it is a HUGE upgrade. When the White Sox got Wells, he was the #1.....Maddux replaces their #5.

I too have to hand it to Hendry (sp?) - he's playing this all out like a pro.

:KW

"Like me?"

No I said like a pro.

Palehose13
02-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I really like the david wells analogy
Thanks and that is the way I see it. In 2001, Wells was ours and he was the "missing link". 2001...It's Time. Boy we sure were cocky, and we had every reason to be just like they have every reason to be. Their team last year was not supposed to do what it did (like ours in 2000). However, guys on our 2000 squad and their squad last year had career years and if the cubs are going to be successful those guys have to have career years again and stay injury free. AND, let's take a look at their defense...not so good. Offense? Decent, but will Patterson bounce back from injury (Frank didn't), can Alou still do it at his age, Grudz, Sam-me??? A lot of question marks. They have a good 1-2-3 as far as pitching goes. I am not convinced about their 4 & 5. The Sox have a good 1-2 and questionable 3-4-5, but I think the Sox defense and offense is better. I am a optimist like you, Karno and I don't think it is so far fetched to think that the Sox may have a better record than the cubs come the end of September.

Mammoo
02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
I think it's an excellent move by Hendry and the Cubs.

I heard Bobby Cox with Jay Marriotti and Silvy, raving about GM as a person and as a pitcher. He insisted that GM still has great movement on his pitches and is in excellent shape.

This trumps the Andy Pettitte signing by the Astros (I don't expect much from Rocket Roger this year).

Makes you hope that KW has something for us to get excited about :?:

SouthSideHitman
02-18-2004, 06:26 PM
The cubs did overpay for Maddux, who will only continue to deteriorate. However, it is an upgrade from Juan Cruz and it is a PR coup. They are already getting media love and have become favorites in the NL central. Besides this, having Maddux chasing #300 will mean even more coverage. I never like to see cubs wins, but I can't complain while the Sox sit on their hands.

ChiSox14305635
02-18-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm not mad about the Maddux signing. What I'm mad with is all the media coverage that the local TV channels, the sportstalk radio stations & ESPN has given them. I swear, I've spent half the day puking.

TaylorStSox
02-18-2004, 07:06 PM
He looks like the best 5th starter in baseball right now. He may even be able to help the brainless ox that is Kerry Wood learn how to pitch. I say good for him and Cubs. Screw em.

Jjav829
02-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I'm not mad about the Maddux signing. What I'm mad with is all the media coverage that the local TV channels, the sportstalk radio stations & ESPN has given them. I swear, I've spent half the day puking.

Agreed. I mean it's a nice signing, but leading the news with it? Come on. This is 37 (soon 38) year old Greg Maddux, not 27 year old Greg Maddux. He's not an ace type anymore.

Does anyone remember if the Sox trade for Colon (a better pitcher) got anywhere near this coverage? I guess it's because Colon wasn't "returning home".

ChiSox14305635
02-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Agreed. I mean it's a nice signing, but leading the news with it? Come on. This is 37 (soon 38) year old Greg Maddux, not 27 year old Greg Maddux. He's not an ace type anyway.

Does anyone remember if the Sox trade for Colon (a better pitcher) got anywhere near this coverage? I guess it's because Colon wasn't "returning home".

Black Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez and Pudge could all come out of retirement and it would barely get a mention on any of these stations. The Cubbie Koolaid is in full effect.

batmanZoSo
02-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I know that I dont feel too mad that they signed him. They are clearly overpaying him. He is on the downside of his career. All his numbers have been steadily moving downward since 1999 pretty much except that fluke in 2002. Now had they taken that same 7.5 mil per year, and given it to a Sidney Ponson-type, then I would be scared. They could have had Ponson if they were going to spend that money. Now, they have little flexibility to make a move in midseason like they did last year and last year, it was Simon and Lofton which really gave them the X-factor to win last year.

I'm really not all that concerned. The maddux signing is overrated.

Anyone else?

Something will go wrong, mark my words. No Title for the Cubs this year.

People, the NLCS should've told you that the cubs really are screwed. The series went just as scripted in cubbie lore, so this season figures to be a big disappointment.

I don't care how good their pitching is....knowing them, they won't hit or the bullpen will blow up. Maybe Maddux finally goes under the knife. He's been so healthy all these years, he's way overdue.

hose
02-18-2004, 08:31 PM
It was a great signing by the Cubs.

The Cubs are going to need all the help they can get fighting it out with Houston and St Louis.

Frank the Tank
02-18-2004, 08:44 PM
The signing makes me want to puke.

joecrede
02-18-2004, 09:12 PM
I'm happy they didn't give the 5th spot to Cruz. Are the Cubs better on paper for acquiring Lee and Maddux? Yes, but I'd rather have Cruz, Choi and the money they spent on Maddux and Lee to spend elsewhere. They improved to positions that weren't a problem.

chisoxfanforever
02-18-2004, 09:16 PM
I am so tired of hearing about Maddux today. This should not be the lead story on the news either. They could have found Bin Laden and Maddux would still be the lead story! I hope Houston and/or St. Louis crush the cubs so some of the cub fans will finally shut up. There acting like they are guarenteed to get to the world series and will win it easily. Makes me sick. The sox better get their act together this year. I look forward to baseball season, but I dont think I can stand another year of "the almighty cubs" every time I turn on the news.

Thunderstruck30
02-18-2004, 09:20 PM
How do I feel? Lets just wait til the season starts and then Ill tell how I feel. Cubs havent had back to back winning seasons since 71-72. Thats all I can say as of now.

jamteh
02-18-2004, 09:38 PM
I have to say I'm impressed. It actually appears that the Cubs are spending like a big-market team. I don't know what got into the Cubune. Do I think they overpaid? You betcha, but it was still a solid move that juiced their fandom, annoying as that is for us Sox fans.

Hey, what a concept: Give the fans something they want to get them excited about the upcoming season. Nah, it'd never work on the Southside.

VaSoxfan
02-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Even with signing Maddux, MLB.com still picked Houston to win the Central. I know the Cubs are getting saturated in the media, but it's hard to ignore the team Houston has put together.

They added Clemens and Pettite (17-9 and 21-8) to an already good rotation with Robertson and Oswalt. As a matter of fact, if you look at each teams potential 6 starters, Houston's W/L record is slightly better, even counting Maddux. Their bullpen is strong. The only question mark is if Dotel can move to the closer role smoothly.

When you look at the offense, Houston scored over 800 runs last year and will still be a powerhouse hitting. They have five guys batting close to .300 and who hit at least 25 homers last year. So I wouldn't go crowning the Cubs yet. I don't think St. Louis will be able to keep up with either team, and I think the Wild Card in the NL Central will certainly be the team that finished second here.

Hangar18
02-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by jamteh
I have to say I'm impressed. It actually appears that the Cubs are spending like a big-market team. I don't know what got into the Cubune. Do I think they overpaid? You betcha, but it was still a solid move that juiced their fandom, annoying as that is for us Sox fans.

Hey, what a concept: Give the fans something they want to get them excited about the upcoming season. Nah, it'd never work on the Southside.

Yup. One Team spends so that its payroll gets close to 100 Million
Other Team spends like its going to KMart. In the Foolish Words of Eddie Einhorn "Spending Money doesnt guarantee Winning". Yes Eddie, it doesnt you dumbass, but it certainly puts INCREASES your chances bigtime. Plus you get the FanBase excited and wanting to purchase season tickets, for which You and the White Sox have Given Me NO REASON to do so.
Im pissed about this signing because
1. Yet another player "falls" into the laps of the freaking cubs
2. Media was looking for ANY reason to go HogWild, which theyve done all day long. makes me sick. Tired of the "coming Home" quotes. Fact is....Maddux DIDNT want to come here, but Noone else wanted him. can you believe that? Noone wanted this guy and he had to come here, tail between his legs.
I wish nothing but the worst for him now......(hear that grobby?)

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Yet another player "falls" into the laps of the freaking cubs

Fact is....Maddux DIDNT want to come here, but Noone else wanted him. can you believe that? Noone wanted this guy and he had to come here

How did he "fall" in to their laps?

No one wanted Maddux? Teams that Maddux rejected.

1. Redsox
2. Giants
3. Dodgers
4. Orioles.

chisoxmike
02-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Maddux went WHERE THE MONEY TOOK HIM.
Maddux doesn't care about Chicago and the "romance" of being on the Cubs.

I've said it before, he went where the money took him and the Cubs were the only team that was going to pay him. He wants 300 wins and the big check at the end of the season.

MRKARNO
02-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yup. One Team spends so that its payroll gets close to 100 Million
Other Team spends like its going to KMart. In the Foolish Words of Eddie Einhorn "Spending Money doesnt guarantee Winning". Yes Eddie, it doesnt you dumbass, but it certainly puts INCREASES your chances bigtime. Plus you get the FanBase excited and wanting to purchase season tickets, for which You and the White Sox have Given Me NO REASON to do so.
Im pissed about this signing because
1. Yet another player "falls" into the laps of the freaking cubs
2. Media was looking for ANY reason to go HogWild, which theyve done all day long. makes me sick. Tired of the "coming Home" quotes. Fact is....Maddux DIDNT want to come here, but Noone else wanted him. can you believe that? Noone wanted this guy and he had to come here, tail between his legs.
I wish nothing but the worst for him now......(hear that grobby?)

It's not just about spending money, but spending money wisely. Maddux didnt seem to be part of their plans from the beginning because if they really were going to spend that kind of money, they would have made a run at Millwood or Ponson. The White Sox spend their money pretty wisely compared to most other teams out there and the cubs are about even money (The Alou and Sosa contracts certainly dont help). They clearly are overpaying him and I am not worried by his signing.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Like most of the posters before me on this thread, I am just tired of the cubs this and the cubs that. Deep down I have to admit that I am a bit envious of their offseason compared to ours. I have big hopes for Houston. If not, this will be a long season. I do think our SOX will be just fine. :gulp:
Sometimes the White Sox are like that girl at the end of the bar at closing time, looking a bit better and better after every beer I drink! :gulp:

hsnterprize
02-19-2004, 06:28 AM
I'm not upset the Cubs got Maddux. To tell you the truth, good for them. Maddux kept saying he wouldn't pitch in the American League, so the Sox' attempts in going for him were already but off before talks started. However, leave it up to the Cubbie Kool-Aid drinkin' media to saturate the world with nothing but "All Maddux...All Cubs...All the time." In fact, a Fox 32 reporter made a snip at the Sox (perhaps deserved) that..."Hey...the Sox raised their season-ticket prices." Of course, Cubs fans are constantly saying "The Cubbies are going to the World Series!!!" over and over again, so all we can do is slip in under the radar and steal the spotlight. Hopefully, JR, KW, and Ozzie are watching all this crap and learning a rough lesson...as long as the Sox do nothing, the Cubs will get all the attention.

LittleBears Suck
02-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Cubs suck.

SSN721
02-19-2004, 08:07 AM
I feel that they overpaid for Maddux. I hope he is a good mentor cuz it is a lot to ask for his 16th (?) season in a row with at least 15 wins, I mean thats Cy Young level pitching. Hes good, but getting old. BUt they did buy a hell of a lot of publicity, with him coming home, shots of him mentoring the young guns, and when he gets his 300th win it will be a frenzy. So maybe with all the extra publicity it was worth the bloated price they paid to get him. I would still spend the money on something else and am pretty much glad the Sox made no attempt to get him, too much money for the value you get in return.

steff
02-19-2004, 08:14 AM
They did what they had to do. I'm not at all mad at them.. I'm mad at the dingbats on the south side who are sitting with their fingers up their butts.

I think he'll win 15 with an ERA hovering around 3.

I have to add that his statement about considering what was best for his family and kids impressed the hell out of me. Sometimes we forget with all the money that these guys are paid that they have families and children. I'm glad that was a factor in his decision. Baseball is their job.

Even though he plays for the Cubs.. I think he's going to be good for this city. He's a class act, IMO.

thepaulbowski
02-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by steff
Even though he plays for the Cubs.. I think he's going to be good for this city. He's a class act, IMO.

What!!! Defending a Cub on this board, that's not allowed! :)

Personally I couldn't care less, I'm a Sox fan.