PDA

View Full Version : Frank will bunt!

ozzman
02-18-2004, 04:44 PM
I was looking for sosa pictures for another board (we are discussing players that were small and bulked up and was looking for some sox sosa pics) and found this. I thought it was pretty funny taht they actually made a card with frank bunting on it. Ozzie would be in heaven

http://www.jandlmemorabilia.com/files/91SoxSosa.jpg

Tekijawa
02-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Look at that perfect form!!! no wonder he doesn't Bunt much he has his fingers wrapped around the barrel of the Bat... I played Baseball for about a summer and even I know that's wrong!

Deadguy
02-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Look at that perfect form!!! no wonder he doesn't Bunt much he has his fingers wrapped around the barrel of the Bat... I played Baseball for about a summer and even I know that's wrong!

Yeah, that form is horrific, unless his goal was to bunt the ball off his right middle and index fingers.

daveeym
02-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Look at how thin that club is compared to the battle ax he swings now. If that doesn't prove he's totally changed his focus when batting I don't know what does. No wonder his swing looks so much slower now.

Deadguy
02-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
Look at how thin that club is compared to the battle ax he swings now. If that doesn't prove he's totally changed his focus when batting I don't know what does. No wonder his swing looks so much slower now.

Doesn't Barroids use a 28 or 29 ounce bat? I remember watching an interview of him a few years ago in which he mentioned that he used sucha light bad to help increase his bat speed.

Tekijawa
02-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Doesn't Barroids use a 28 or 29 ounce bat? I remember watching an interview of him a few years ago in which he mentioned that he used sucha light bad to help increase his bat speed.

I don't know if it's bat speed so much as frank need to quit pulling his head when he swings he's always looking to left field when he strikes out, which is a lot more over the past few years.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Yeah, that form is horrific, unless his goal was to bunt the ball off his right middle and index fingers. I lost a finger nail to that when I was 8 in little league. I've corrected my form since then, lol.

daveeym
02-18-2004, 05:15 PM

Force = mass x acceleration. So theres those who go with the heavier bat because they believe they aren't sacrificing too much bat speed and those who go light because they feel they are sacrificing too much bat speed.

Originally posted by Tekijawa

I don't know if it's bat speed so much as frank need to quit pulling his head when he swings he's always looking to left field when he strikes out, which is a lot more over the past few years.

That's just another symptom in his change in philosophy.

I just wish he'd go back to his old hitting style. He still averaged about 40 and 100+ rbi's while hitting to all fields with more doubles and a better average.

voodoochile
02-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Force = mass x acceleration. So theres those who go with the heavier bat because they believe they aren't sacrificing too much bat speed and those who go light because they feel they are sacrificing too much bat speed.

That's just another symptom in his change in philosophy.

I just wish he'd go back to his old hitting style. He still averaged about 40 and 100+ rbi's while hitting to all fields with more doubles and a better average.

Actually, there was a discussion about this a while back and it turns out that speed is twice as important as weight.

Man, I wish I could find it. Very interesting. I am sure Hal can fill in the blanks, he is a physics teacher.

Fungo
02-18-2004, 05:22 PM
I'll bet Frank was gonna "slash", as we used to call it in college. The old slash bunt, draw the 3rd baseman in and then pull the bat back and slap on down his throat. Oh that Frank is such a crafty vet. Either that or he had a 3-0 count and was trying to distract the pitcher, like in Little League.

chitown sox
02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, there was a discussion about this a while back and it turns out that speed is twice as important as weight.

Man, I wish I could find it. Very interesting. I am sure Hal can fill in the blanks, he is a physics teacher.

Kinetic Energy == (1/2)(mass)[(velocity)^2]

So you double the weight, you double the power.

But you double the speed, you quadruple the power.

And you triple the speed, you 9x the power.

So speed's not only twice as important, it's exponentially more important by 2.

daveeym
02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by chitown sox

Kinetic Energy == (1/2)(mass)[(velocity)^2]

So you double the weight, you double the power.

But you double the speed, you quadruple the power.

And you triple the speed, you 9x the power.

So speed's not only twice as important, it's exponentially more important by 2.

right but to make it simple let's say you're swinging a ten ounce bat and move to an 11 ounce bat. that's rougly a ten percent increase in mass but a batter won't have a ten percent decrease in velocity. With most pro players you won't have any noticeable decrease in bat speed but you may get a loss in bat control because more than likely that extra ounce is going into the end of the bat and making it top heavy and screwing with your swing. And thus, why Frank pops up too damn much.

idseer
02-18-2004, 06:28 PM
i DOUBT that's a bunt. picture this:

frank just took ball four and is in the process of both jogging to first while sliding his right hand up to the end to flip it back toward the dugout.

:smile:

ChiSox14305635
02-18-2004, 06:35 PM
While Frank looks to be about 20 lbs lighter than he is now, look at Sammy before he became Steroid Sosa to the right. Talk about a long, long, time ago.

daveeym
02-18-2004, 06:37 PM
While his form may look horrible there, if i remember correctly frank got the job done when called on to bunt and seemed to do it with a smile.

Huisj
02-19-2004, 12:06 AM
right but to make it simple let's say you're swinging a ten ounce bat and move to an 11 ounce bat. that's rougly a ten percent increase in mass but a batter won't have a ten percent decrease in velocity. With most pro players you won't have any noticeable decrease in bat speed but you may get a loss in bat control because more than likely that extra ounce is going into the end of the bat and making it top heavy and screwing with your swing. And thus, why Frank pops up too damn much.

Here's an interesting paper that it looks like some grad students or something did about the speed of swings of bats relative to their weights:

study of swing speeds (http://www.npl.uiuc.edu/~a-nathan/pob/SwingSpeed.pdf)

The study was actually done using amatuer softball players, but it still seems fairly relavent and quite interesting.

They found that the weight of the bat had no real relationship to the speed of the swing for just small differences in weight. However, what they found was that the way the mass of the bat was distributed had a fairly strong relationship to the speed of the bat. Basically, if the mass of the bat is distributed farther out toward the end of the barrel, the bat has a higher rotational inertia (which i think is what the MOI mass moment of inertia thing is that they're talking about)m, and since a swing is really a rotation, this is what contributes most to the slower swing speed. This explains that a bit:

Moment of Inertia (http://btc.montana.edu/olympics/physbio/glossary/g17.html)

So basically, if franks bat is heavier and the weight goes mostly into the end of the bat, it should slow the swing down a tad, but if it just kind of goes into making the whole bat a bit thicker and having the barrel extend further in towards the handle, it shouldn't really slow him down much.

However, here's another question: would adding a bit of mass to a wooden bat create a slightly larger and more lively sweet spot?

chitown sox
02-19-2004, 12:32 AM
However, here's another question: would adding a bit of mass to a wooden bat create a slightly larger and more lively sweet spot?

Would adding more cork to his bat finally gain him recognition as a roided-up, cheating ****ing son of a bitch ****?

Champ Summers
02-19-2004, 03:50 AM
whoa! you're talking about sosa, right?

Baby Fisk
02-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Frank's form will look great in chavez ravine. :whiner: