PDA

View Full Version : Trade target: Rangers' 2B Michael Young

Frater Perdurabo
02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
The Sox should try to exploit the Rangers' plethora of 2B now that Soriano has expressed his desire to remain at 2B.

All Michael Young does is hit .300 while leading off and play slick defense. Last year his OPS was 785. And he only made $250,000 last year.

The Rangers need a bona-fide SS. Trade Valentin and his $5 million salary to the Rangers for Michael Young.

The only flaw is that Young bats right-handed. But I think he is worth it. And besides, he also is capable of playing SS.

Uribe and Young would make for a strong middle infield defense. Uribe can bat ninth and Young can lead off and get on base for Lee, Frank and Maggs.

Such a deal also saves precious payroll dollars.

Pull the trigger, Kenny.

Fisk72
02-18-2004, 03:36 PM
I believe the last infielder we got from Texas (because a "superstar" came there) was Royce Clayton. Not that this guy is the same, but I'd just stay away from the Rangers for a while in general.

TaylorStSox
02-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Young would eat Clayton's children though. I don't think there's any way that Texas gets rid of him. All of the sudden they look like a young team that's on the rise with some money to spend.

bc2k
02-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
The Sox should try to exploit the Rangers' plethora of 2B now that Soriano has expressed his desire to remain at 2B.

All Michael Young does is hit .300 while leading off and play slick defense. Last year his OPS was 785. And he only made $250,000 last year.

The Rangers need a bona-fide SS. Trade Valentin and his $5 million salary to the Rangers for Michael Young.

The only flaw is that Young bats right-handed. But I think he is worth it. And besides, he also is capable of playing SS.

Uribe and Young would make for a strong middle infield defense. Uribe can bat ninth and Young can lead off and get on base for Lee, Frank and Maggs.

Such a deal also saves precious payroll dollars.

Pull the trigger, Kenny.

2 = plethora? Does 1 = plethora? Soriano might be playing CF.

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 04:18 PM
They're planning on moving Young to SS to replace A-Rod. With that I doubt he fits in the equation of whether or not to keep Soriano at 2nd.

lowesox
02-18-2004, 04:49 PM
How about Jose Valentin for Michael Young straight up?

I'd rather have Uribe in our everyday lineup than Harris.

RichFitztightly
02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Si, El Guapo, I would say you had a plethora of pinatas

Jjav829
02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Ok, someone explain to me why the Rangers would have even the slightest interest in a Valentin for Young deal? No offense to the original thread starter, but Michael Young for Jose Valentin? They'd sooner move Young to short than trade for a 35 year old who really isn't better than Young in any aspect other than power. That said, if for some reason Tom Hicks decided to fire John Hart and make baseball decisions himself, and decided that a Young for Valentin swap made sense, I'd do it in a instant.

Mammoo
02-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
...And he only made $250,000 last year.

Sounds like Owner Jerry's kind of player! :)

lowesox
02-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Ok, someone explain to me why the Rangers would have even the slightest interest in a Valentin for Young deal? No offense to the original thread starter, but Michael Young for Jose Valentin? They'd sooner move Young to short than trade for a 35 year old who really isn't better than Young in any aspect other than power. That said, if for some reason Tom Hicks decided to fire John Hart and make baseball decisions himself, and decided that a Young for Valentin swap made sense, I'd do it in a instant.

Hey. We're White Sox fans. All we can do is dream.

Jjav829
02-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Hey. We're White Sox fans. All we can do is dream.

No kidding. Hey, maybe they'll trade us Hank Blalock for Paul Konerko as well! :smile: :(:

Saracen
02-18-2004, 06:21 PM
No way they trade Young - he's the real deal. Soriano is there for 1 year and then out, freeing up salary so they can target pitching to go along with Texeira, Blalock and Young.