PDA

View Full Version : If Thomas leaves then...

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 03:29 PM
There is no way you can get a DH now at his price that will get you 40 homeruns and 100 rbi's. However, we would have to do something. I would consider moving Lee to DH, even though I like his fielding. He could platoon there back and forth giving guys days off and having them DH. Rowand could move to left, and Reed could move to CF. It's not perfect, but it could work. Especially if by trading Thomas we help our pitching. What are some other scenerios you guys think could work?

maurice
02-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
What are some other scenerios you guys think could work?

At this point in the offseason, I don't think KW can create any scenario that would work, but I'd expect to see plenty of Ross Gload or Jose Valentin at DH (with Uribe at SS). We'd be in big trouble against LHPs.

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-18-2004, 03:54 PM
there is no scenario possible to replace Frank's production. our lineup would likely be:

Harris L
Valentin S
Lee R
Maggs R
Konerko R
Crede R
Reed/Borchard ? S
Rowand R
Olivo R

intimidating
if frank goes, we better get perez, a top prospect, and a decent outfield option.

Mickster
02-18-2004, 04:02 PM
If Thomas leaves then...

Were screwed! Plain and Simple.

jshanahanjr
02-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Get Canseco out of lock down and give him #31!

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Were screwed! Plain and Simple. No way, if that's the case then they won't trade him.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr
Get Canseco out of lock down and give him #31! He signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers.

stillz
02-18-2004, 04:12 PM
He may sound-off like a doofus every once in awhile, but we all know the man has a great work ethic. Keep him. He may yet produce like the Big Hurt of old. And even if he just maintains - he's a dynamite DH.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by stillz
He may sound-off like a doofus every once in awhile, but we all know the man has a great work ethic. Keep him. He may yet produce like the Big Hurt of old. And even if he just maintains - he's a dynamite DH. If he really wants to leave, it may not be that simple.

stillz
02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
True - but his HR tally won't be as high at Dodger stadium. He must know that. Too bad Vegas doesn't have a team.

CWSGuy406
02-18-2004, 04:44 PM
If he really wants to leave, it may not be that simple.

Please please please please please!!!! Someone find a quote where Thomas says he doesn't want to be here!?!!?!?! He's never said that.

EDIT: Screw what I just said, I just saw the new article post about Thomas wanting out. Damn....

MisterB
02-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Please please please please please!!!! Someone find a quote where Thomas says he doesn't want to be here!?!!?!?! He's never said that.

EDIT: Screw what I just said, I just saw the new article post about Thomas wanting out. Damn....

I didn't see any direct quotes from FT in that thread...

KingXerxes
02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
If he really wants to leave, it may not be that simple.

If he really wants to leave, then the White Sox had better figure out a way to get him to "really want to stay". If they trade him on the basis of the fact that he's unhappy, and they haven't wracked their brains senseless in trying to figure out how to solve the dilemma - then this franchise is in much worse shape than I ever thought. I said years ago that in invoking the "diminished skills clause" Reinsdorf would have trouble getting decent free agents to look the White Sox's way, and would have one hell of an unhappy Frank Thomas to deal with as the years go by. Reinsdorf never should have pulled the DSC a few years ago (after an injury).

FIGURE IT OUT, FIX IT, AND IF YOU CAN'T--------SELL!