PDA

View Full Version : Juan Cruz?

fledgedrallycap
02-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Now that Maddox is penned into the rotation on the Northside, what do you think it would take to pry Juan Cruz from the clutches of the Cubs? Like most of us here, I feel skeptical about our fourth and fifth starters, although Cruz might not be the savior; he would be an upgrade.

CubKilla
02-18-2004, 11:52 AM
The Cubs ain't done making moves. Clement and Cruz just became trade bait.

SoxxoS
02-18-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't think they are going to help us out, and we really don't have anything to give them. They would probably want Crede.

Randar68
02-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't think they are going to help us out, and we really don't have anything to give them. They would probably want Crede.

Why? They have Aramis Ramirez, and 3B is about the only place he can play.

quade36
02-18-2004, 12:18 PM
I think Cruz for Rowand is a realistic trade.

Alou is a free agent after this year.

SoxxoS
02-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Why? They have Aramis Ramirez, and 3B is about the only place he can play.

Forgot about Ramirez.

And they would never trade a decent 3rd/good 4th outfielder (Rowand) for Cruz. Pitching is a premium, not .275 hitting outfielders.

Randar68
02-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Forgot about Ramirez.

And they would never trade a decent 3rd/good 4th outfielder (Rowand) for Cruz. Pitching is a premium, not .275 hitting outfielders.

To be fair, the Cubs may need a stop-gap OF'er with Alou always hurt and Patterson coming off knee surgery.

SoxxoS
02-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
To be fair, the Cubs may need a stop-gap OF'er with Alou always hurt and Patterson coming off knee surgery.

Something is telling me they can find one better than Rowand in the major leagues somewhere.

Randar68
02-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Something is telling me they can find one better than Rowand in the major leagues somewhere.

Probably, but Rowand's salary certainly makes him an attractive option for a team not likely to take on additional payroll.

quade36
02-18-2004, 12:26 PM
But Cruz hasn't proved himself either. So I'd say it'd be a trade for unproven players.

Lets not assume Cruz is all that, he has potential, that a big difference.

SoxxoS
02-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by quade36
But Cruz hasn't proved himself either. So I'd say it'd be a trade for unproven players.

Lets not assume Cruz is all that, he has potential, that a big difference.

Jeremy Reed is unproven, are we ready to trade him? No. Because we know how he has performed and his potential. Same thing with Cruz. He has dominated in the minors and occasionaly in the majors. Rowand hasn't dominated any level (although I like Rowand). We know what Rowand can do, he is "old" and has had time to prove himself.

There is NO WAY the Cubs would trade Juan Cruz for Aaron Rowand. Pitching is the premium.

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Jeremy Reed is unproven, are we ready to trade him? No. Because we know how he has performed and his potential. Same thing with Cruz. He has dominated in the minors and occasionaly in the majors. Rowand hasn't dominated any level (although I like Rowand). We know what Rowand can do, he is "old" and has had time to prove himself.

There is NO WAY the Cubs would trade Juan Cruz for Aaron Rowand. Pitching is the premium.

Thank you.

That being said, the Cubs may need another lefty in the bullpen. Would you be willing to give up Marte for Cruz and minor league prospects???

MarqSox
02-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Cruz might not be the savior; he would be an upgrade.
So would 95% of the pitchers in MLB, and Cruz is toward the bottom of that list. Frankly, I'd rather give our young guys a chance to step up than trade somebody to our rival for a guy who will be lucky to win 8 games.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Thank you.

That being said, the Cubs may need another lefty in the bullpen. Would you be willing to give up Marte for Cruz and minor league prospects??? No

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
So would 95% of the pitchers in MLB, and Cruz is toward the bottom of that list. Frankly, I'd rather give our young guys a chance to step up than trade somebody to our rival for a guy who will be lucky to win 8 games.

What? Juan Cruz IS the next Pedro Martinez! Cruz proved his merit as the next Pedro when in 2001 Cruz won 3 games at the end of the season (2 of those wins vs. the 100 loss Pirates).

ewokpelts
02-18-2004, 01:22 PM
i'd do it, if he was cheep...
Gene

Rex Hudler
02-18-2004, 03:06 PM
That being said, the Cubs may need another lefty in the bullpen. Would you be willing to give up Marte for Cruz and minor league prospects???

Sure, Cruz, Angel Guzman and another prospect (I was going to say Brendan Harris, but he is hurt).

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 03:13 PM
IMHO there is virtually no chance that the Cubbies and White Sox trade with each other.

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
IMHO there is virtually no chance that the Cubbies and White Sox trade with each other.

May I ask why not? They've traded with each other many times before?

Or are you still pissed because the Sox got burned in the Karchner for Garland deal??? :D:

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
May I ask why not? They've traded with each other many times before?

Or are you still pissed because the Sox got burned in the Karchner for Garland deal??? :D:

And that trade was 6 or 7 years ago. IIRC there have not been any deals since.

The reason(s) why I don't see a trade between the Cubs/Sox is that neither wants to pursue it. Both teams would probably tell you that they would trade with each other, but it's fraught with danger for both teams. No matter which ways the deals go, they'll never hear the end of it. Neither team wants to do anything to potentially help the other or hurt themselves. And historically, ouside of the Karchner/Garland trade, have the Sox ever come out on the winning end of the trades in the long run?