PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL RANT THREAD... Get it all out!

Tekijawa
02-18-2004, 09:50 AM
We'll Maddux is now a North sider, and the Cubs have what I would call a legit shot, the only thing that I am clinging to is that their infield Defense will be worse that ours was in 2001...

Now Frank wants out... Great! I know we still have to play the games but I putting my money on the attendance for the September 26th game Vs. KC at 2:05 at just south of 3000.

I'm a Life long Sox fan so naturally I'm pesimistic, but today I have hit the lowest of lows, the Good news is that it can't get any worse (I HOPE).

I'll write more later but my Boss is a Cubs fan my friends are mostly Cubs fans and I have to answer to the influx of emails rubbing the fact that they landed a FA pitcher with out a blown out ankle...

StepsInSC
02-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Are we sure Frank wants out? Wasn't it just mentioned on a radio show? I want confirmation before I flip out about Hurt.

cheeses_h_rice
02-18-2004, 09:59 AM
OK, here goes...

**** this ****ing ****! Is this team going to ****ing do ******** this year or not? I would ****ing bet ****ing NO to that ****!

****. I am really ****ing ****** *** about now.

kittle42
02-18-2004, 10:32 AM
I hate the White Sox.

Lip Man 1
02-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Tek:

Remember we still have to suffer through 162 games!

and you haven't even brought up the fact that the eyes of the baseball world will be on the Cubs early as Sosa goes for 500....and the eyes will return later in the season when Maddux (maybe) goes for 300.

Whether by luck or design the Cubs are going to get massive amounts of national pub this year and they are probably going to play pretty damn well as well.

I lived through 68-69 and 70 so I can live through this but if the Cubs get to the World Series (they don't even have to win it) the Sox are dead in this town. The franchise is on life support now because of ownership, I don't know if it could take anymore.

Lip

Hangar18
02-18-2004, 10:41 AM
I thought 1994 Fall, I felt low.
I thought 1995 I felt low.
I thought 1997, whiteflag, I felt low.
I thought 1998, we got swept, I felt low.
I thought 2003, losing division by a mere 4 games...
knowing I could count 10 games we shouldve won had it
not been for our Stupid Mgr and Billy Koch, I felt low.

But the Hog Wild Media, already Coronating the cubs
as the NL Champs........watching Them Make ALL THE MOVES,
and watching the SOX still trying to get "rid" of Maggs and Frank,
and Doing Nothing to get better.....
Makes Me Feel As Low As Ive ever Felt

CubKilla
02-18-2004, 10:44 AM
2004 White Sox Baseball. At least we're not the BlackHawks (yet).

Hangar18
02-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Tek:

and you haven't even brought up the fact that the eyes of the baseball world will be on the Cubs early as Sosa goes for 500....and the eyes will return later in the season when Maddux (maybe) goes for 300.

Whether by luck or design the Cubs are going to get massive amounts of national pub this year and they are probably going to play pretty damn well as well.

I lived through 68-69 and 70 so I can live through this but if the Cubs get to the World Series (they don't even have to win it) the Sox are dead in this town. The franchise is on life support now because of ownership, I don't know if it could take anymore.

Lip

Media Coverage is EVERYTHING, especially in a 2 market town
like Chicago, which is ALSO the 3rd Largest Market in the US.
To see the Sox behaving like this, while their direct competitor
pretends they want to win...... This team is so finished .....

SoxFan78
02-18-2004, 10:46 AM
The media is all over this. Its like the NLCS all over again. Every sportscaster proclaiming, "Can't wait until the World Series, Cubs vs. Yankees". Makes me sick.

It wouldn't be that bad, but the sox biggest moves this season has been Mr. Zero and Juan Uribe. Im hoping this season I will be pleasntly surprised, but its not looking too good right now.

soxfan26
02-18-2004, 10:48 AM
**** the White Sox

**** JR

**** KW

**** Ozzie

**** Fatolo

**** A-Rod

**** The Yankees

**** Greg Maddux

**** the Cubs

**** BASEBALL

CubKilla
02-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
To see the Sox behaving like this, while their direct competitor
pretends they want to win...... This team is so finished .....

If what the Cubs are doing is pretending, I'd hate to see who they'd sign if they were serious.

soxfan26
02-18-2004, 10:52 AM

**** the White Sox

:chunks

Fungo
02-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Are you really an owner who cares about winning and a GM of a major league baseball team?

:reinsy :KW

No, but we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Lip Man 1
02-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Hey remember all those fans here at WSI who were adament that the Sox were going to do something this off season because 'they couldn't let the Cubs take over the town?'

LOL

"Chicago has always been a Cubs town "--Jerry Reinsdorf on ESPN Radio 1000. June 2002.

Lip

soltrain21
02-18-2004, 11:01 AM
I am always optimistic about the Sox, but it is really hard now. There has to be some damn way we can get our voices heard. They thought Soxfest was bad? They haven't heard **** yet.

Dick Allen
02-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
**** the White Sox

**** JR

**** KW

**** Ozzie

**** Fatolo

**** A-Rod

**** The Yankees

**** Greg Maddux

**** the Cubs

**** BASEBALL You said it all, brother.

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2004, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by soltrain21

I just noticed your sig. Is Olivo really on the cover of MLB 2004??? LOL. Does anyone think he made contact with the pitch in that photo??? LOL

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Tek:

Lip

GREAT POINTS LIP!!! All of this provides a major incentive for the Sox to come out of the gate life wildfire (i.e. first place by 5+ games after April and May)...otherwise Sox fans might as well avoid contact with any U.S. media (print, TV, radio, billboard, internet...) for the rest of the summer!

I'm glad I'm a fan of both teams...I'll have a good summer no matter what. Well, not if both teams stink (as they had for so many years in the past)...but, I don't see that happening this year. One of these teams has to make the series and right now, the Cubs have the best shot.

Hokiesox
02-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Why is everyone saying the Cubs are guaranteed to go to the WS? Last time I checked, a team down in Houston had a pretty darn good team with an arguably better startign rotation and a bullpen to go with it. Also, they all have 162 games left to play.

voodoochile
02-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
[QUOTE]Originally posted by soltrain21

I just noticed your sig. Is Olivo really on the cover of MLB 2004??? LOL. Does anyone think he made contact with the pitch in that photo??? LOL

Isn't that Magglio?

Baby Fisk
02-18-2004, 12:05 PM

I'm with Lip Man on this one. I'm glad I wasn't around for 68-70, but things are still really low right now. If the Cubs make it to the WS, the Sox are ****ed.

On one hand I'm pumped because it's impossible not to be pumped at the start of a new season.

On the other hand, I'm depressed because I am a White Sox fan.

I can't end on a downer, so let's try this: after the misery of 68-70 and 87-89, the Sox rebounded big both times. Obviously, they didn't rebound enough to win a WS, but we all look fondly on the years 71-74 and 90-93. So I have hope for better things to come ... sometime ... in the future ... eventually ... if miracles can happen ... possibly ... before I die... :(:

ChiSox7
02-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Tek:

Lip

Uh, Sosa hit #500 last season in Cinci...... whoops.

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Why is everyone saying the Cubs are guaranteed to go to the WS? Last time I checked, a team down in Houston had a pretty darn good team with an arguably better startign rotation and a bullpen to go with it. Also, they all have 162 games left to play.

I know you said "arguably" so I will argue that the Cubs do have a better rotation then do the Astros.

Prior/Oswalt = even (though Oswalt coming of surgery)

Wood/Clemens = even (though Clemens needs to adjust to NL)

Maddux/Pettite = Edge Cubs (Maddux has knowledge of NL, and Pettite gives up long ball - will suffer at Minute Maid)

Zambrano/Miller = Edge Cubs (Z's ERA is one run lower, Miller had nagging injuries last year)

Clement/Redding = Even (Clement had a few very rough outings that skew his #s, better WHIP, K ratio...ERA just a bit higher...could argue that he gets the edge)

So, overall I'd give the slight edge to the Cubs if anything.

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Isn't that Magglio?

Ahhhh, I think you're right. That does make more sense. But on first glance it looks a lot like Olivo. Skin tone on picture loks darker than Magglio's(?). Maybe I should get my eyes checked! LOL

Grobber33
02-18-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm not Richard M.Nixon(or any other GOPer thank heavens)but......Let's make this perfectly clear:
Even if the Cubs won 105 games,won the NLDS,NLCS and beat the Yanks,Red Sox or whomever in the World Series(and for good measure took all 6 from the Sox which will never happen-I know it and you all know it!), the Sox are not dead in this town,they are not moving,they are and always will be the CHICAGO White Sox. That from a Cub Fan. If they did'nt move in 1989(after the Tampa Bay threat)or 1976 to Seattle(when Veeck saved them),or Milwaukee in 1970(when John Allyn took the Sox over from his Brother Arthur--before the Pilots became the Brewers),they AINT GOING ANYWHERE!!!
The Sox will be here,no matter who Owns(or OOOWNS as Joe McGrath said in Slapshot)the Club.
T R U S T M E !!!!!

Hullett_Fan
02-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
I'm not Richard M.Nixon(or any other GOPer thank heavens)but......Let's make this perfectly clear:
Even if the Cubs won 105 games,won the NLDS,NLCS and beat the Yanks,Red Sox or whomever in the World Series(and for good measure took all 6 from the Sox which will never happen-I know it and you all know it!), the Sox are not dead in this town,they are not moving,they are and always will be the CHICAGO White Sox. That from a Cub Fan. If they did'nt move in 1989(after the Tampa Bay threat)or 1976 to Seattle(when Veeck saved them),or Milwaukee in 1970(when John Allyn took the Sox over from his Brother Arthur--before the Pilots became the Brewers),they AINT GOING ANYWHERE!!!
The Sox will be here,no matter who Owns(or OOOWNS as Joe McGrath said in Slapshot)the Club.
T R U S T M E !!!!!

Sorry Les, but I don't trust you. :D:

At those times the Sox had a much larger fan base (IIRC) so there was no reason to move. Unfortunately we've lost quite a few fans as prices for tix have gone up at a higher rate than most Sox fans salaries and due to JRs incompetence.

SO, if the Cubs win it all and the Sox don't respond in kind in the next year or two, I really think that they'll pack the moving trucks up and make their way to Charlotte.

If I were owner and I wanted to put a competitive team on the field AND break even in terms of $$$, I would move there.

soltrain21
02-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Ahhhh, I think you're right. That does make more sense. But on first glance it looks a lot like Olivo. Skin tone on picture loks darker than Magglio's(?). Maybe I should get my eyes checked! LOL

It's Magglio and no he isn't on the cover. My friend made it for me.

Pujols is the real cover boy.

Iwritecode
02-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Sorry Les, but I don't trust you. :D:

At those times the Sox had a much larger fan base (IIRC) so there was no reason to move. Unfortunately we've lost quite a few fans as prices for tix have gone up at a higher rate than most Sox fans salaries and due to JRs incompetence.

SO, if the Cubs win it all and the Sox don't respond in kind in the next year or two, I really think that they'll pack the moving trucks up and make their way to Charlotte.

If I were owner and I wanted to put a competitive team on the field AND break even in terms of $$$, I would move there.

Honestly, Les is right. The Sox aren't going anywhere. They can't. Not with the lease they have on the stadium.

The thing that can happen if the Cubs win the WS is that USCF would become a ghost town. They would resemble the Indians in the movie "Major League".

PINWHEELS
02-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
We'll Maddux is now a North sider, and the Cubs have what I would call a legit shot, the only thing that I am clinging to is that their infield Defense will be worse that ours was in 2001...

Now Frank wants out... Great! I know we still have to play the games but I putting my money on the attendance for the September 26th game Vs. KC at 2:05 at just south of 3000.

I'm a Life long Sox fan so naturally I'm pesimistic, but today I have hit the lowest of lows, the Good news is that it can't get any worse (I HOPE).

I'll write more later but my Boss is a Cubs fan my friends are mostly Cubs fans and I have to answer to the influx of emails rubbing the fact that they landed a FA pitcher with out a blown out ankle... LETS GO ASTROS CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP......LETS GO ASTROS CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP......

mike squires
02-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox

Exactly. Maddux is on the downside of his carrer...what is the stat on Wood? He's never won more than 12 games in a season??? Do they look good on paper? Yes. But lets remember, this is the Cubs we are takling about here.

As for Frank I'm not getting nervous until I see a link or hear it from Frank himself...

OK, I'll admit it, I"m a little nervous.

Tekijawa
02-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The thing that can happen if the Cubs win the WS is that USCF would become a ghost town. They would resemble the Indians in the movie "Major League".

Do you think that we'd have that many people... My guess is that I would have my own Beer, Hotdog, lemon ice, and Margarita vendor and a Spacious "personal" bathroom to go to out in left field...

Chisox353014
02-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
OK, here goes...

**** this ****ing ****! Is this team going to ****ing do ******** this year or not? I would ****ing bet ****ing NO to that ****!

****. I am really ****ing ****** *** about now.

Originally posted by soxfan26
**** the White Sox

**** JR

**** KW

**** Ozzie

**** Fatolo

**** A-Rod

**** The Yankees

**** Greg Maddux

**** the Cubs

**** BASEBALL

Those two rants pretty much sum up the way I'm feeling. Except I would also add:
**** Tom Hicks
**** Bud Selig
**** Donald Fehr
**** Any rag-armed, third-rate relief pitcher who will make more money in one year than my entire family combined in several lifetimes and has the gall to complain about being underpaid.

MLB really sucks right now. What's the point if 3 or 4 teams can just buy up all the talent? Why %&^*%ing bother watching? Unless the Sox somehow shock me with an amazing start to the season, I'm pretty much leaning towards paying the least amount of attention to baseball that I have in LONG time.

pearso66
02-18-2004, 02:56 PM
The Cubs seriously overpaid for Maddux, No way do I pay $8 mil a year for 3 years to a guy who may not even win 15 games. He is on the downside of his career, and his home stadium is Wrigley. I wouldnt be suprised if he gets lit up, and wins less than 10 games. As for Wood, the most he's ever won is 14 and htat was last year. There is no saying that he'll win 15, but then again he could possibly win 20. But until he proves it, I take Clemens or whomever you put against him

Nick@Nite
02-18-2004, 03:16 PM
... as far as I'm concerned, publicity generated by the move, and perceived as a CWS negative, will all be forgotten by the AS break.

Tekijawa
02-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
The Cubs seriously overpaid for Maddux, No way do I pay $8 mil a year for 3 years to a guy who may not even win 15 games.

We almost paid 12 million a year for 3 years for a guy like that, and everyone was upset when he left! Although I hate the Cubs, I think the biggest benifit will be how he teaches their young pitchers! That alone may be worth 8 million dollars a year...

Soxfan7070
02-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Oh well...at least there are Churros to look forward to...they aren't leaving are they???

LongLiveFisk
02-18-2004, 10:51 PM
"Chicago has always been a Cubs town "--Jerry Reinsdorf on ESPN Radio 1000. June 2002.

Lip

Yeah Jerry, that would explain the approximate 3,000 fans per game sitting at Wrigley Field pre-1984. (Does Lee Elia and a certain tirade come to mind?)

Friggin putz.