PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Goes Hog-Wild announcing Maddux Signing

Hangar18
02-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Had to be up Very Early this morning, and I clicked on FOX news as it was about to come on this morning at 5am, and the Camera pans the anchors all at their desks and some oriental looking Bimbo's first words of the broadcast, beaming smile on her face, and apparent LEAD STORY of the telecast ....."YIPPEE HURRAY! Greg Maddux is coming home! Bruce Wolf is here right now to give us this very Exciting breaking news! Bruce, I know all of chicagoland is excited about this" Funny because her coanchor, whoever he is, seemed to be kind of making fun of HER APPARENT GLEE AND KILEY-ESQUE GIDDINESS by saying it was good news, but not great news. BRuce Wolfs Comments however, were the Kick in the Stomach for me, he mentioned all of Madduxs stats, and now they are Guaranteed to have the best pitching staff in the Majors, and a World Series is finally not out of the Question. He said the Media will Follow him around and only needs 11 Victories for 300, and he SAID HE HOPES HE GETS 300 AGAINST THE WHITE SOX. amazing, at 5:02 am,
I was already DISGUSTED by the MEDIA FRENZY this has created.
We shouldve signed him ............

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Had to be up Very Early this morning, and I clicked on FOX news as it was about to come on this morning at 5am, and the Camera pans the anchors all at their desks and some oriental looking Bimbo's first words of the broadcast, beaming smile on her face, and apparent LEAD STORY of the telecast ....."YIPPEE HURRAY! Greg Maddux is coming home! Bruce Wolf is here right now to give us this very Exciting breaking news! Bruce, I know all of chicagoland is excited about this" Funny because her coanchor, whoever he is, seemed to be kind of making fun of HER APPARENT GLEE AND KILEY-ESQUE GIDDINESS by saying it was good news, but not great news. BRuce Wolfs Comments however, were the Kick in the Stomach for me, he mentioned all of Madduxs stats, and now they are Guaranteed to have the best pitching staff in the Majors, and a World Series is finally not out of the Question. He said the Media will Follow him around and only needs 11 Victories for 300, and he SAID HE HOPES HE GETS 300 AGAINST THE WHITE SOX. amazing, at 5:02 am,
I was already DISGUSTED by the MEDIA FRENZY this has created.

Hangar, How is it going man? Anyway, you did sign MR. Zero :) Honestly, Hangar, the Sox should compete in the AL Central.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Hangar, How is it going man? Anyway, you did sign MR. Zero :) Honestly, Hangar, the Sox should compete in the AL Central. Lol, he's so happy about Maddux. He's even giddy enough to say the Sox are going to compete, as a Cubs fan. Lol/jk :smile:

ma_deuce
02-18-2004, 10:13 AM

I'd rather gouge my eyes out than pick up another NL pitcher, even Maddox.

Deuce

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Lol, he's so happy about Maddux. He's even giddy enough to say the Sox are going to compete. Lol/jk :smile:

Yeah, I'm very happy. That said, I said the Sox would compete in their division before Maddux signed. The Twins are just not the same team and the Royals have as much pitching as the Rangers.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I'm very happy. That said, I said the Sox would compete in their division before Maddux signed. The Twins are just not the same team and the Royals have as much pitching as the Rangers. I know, I was just busting on ya. Comparable to division strength, the Sox and Cubs aren't in all that different of a scenerio. We'll see, but good luck to you.

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I know, I was just busting on ya. Comparable to division strength, the Sox and Cubs aren't in all that different of a scenerio. We'll see, but good luck to you.

Good(bad) luck to you as well.. :)

Hangar18
02-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Just think, Kerry Wood, The Messiah (who was passed on by the Twins because of a lack of a commissioner/conflict of interest)
Matt Clement (who was a throw in by the Marlins because they couldnt afford him) Fatbrano, and Maddux ( who was passed on by every team except the yankees) get to play....
The Reds, The Pirates, and the Brewers. That alone is worth about 50 victories. They would only need 40 more to get to 90 wins and another PostSeason berth ........ We need a commissioner badly........

ewokpelts
02-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Just think, Kerry Wood, The Messiah (who was passed on by the Twins because of a lack of a commissioner/conflict of interest)
Matt Clement (who was a throw in by the Marlins because they couldnt afford him) Fatbrano, and Maddux ( who was passed on by every team except the yankees) get to play....
The Reds, The Pirates, and the Brewers. That alone is worth about 50 victories. They would only need 40 more to get to 90 wins and another PostSeason berth ........ We need a commissioner badly........

Hank,

The Messiah wasnt pick by teh twinkies cuz they didnt have enough to give him. I dont think selig had much of a say in that.
Gene

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 11:09 AM
In all hype, hoopla and bull-feces surrounding the Cubbies signing Maddux, let's not forget a few things...

* Maddux left the Cubbies because of money and he's returning to the Cubbies because of money.

* Maddux is not returning home by signing with the Cubbies.

* The Cubbie pitching staph is not the best in the history of baseball, not even close.

ewokpelts
02-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
In all hype, hoopla and bull-feces surrounding the Cubbies signing Maddux, let's not forget a few things...

* Maddux left the Cubbies because of money and he's returning to the Cubbies because of money.

* The Cubbie pitching staph is not the best in the history of baseball, not even close.

word yo

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 11:31 AM

Crawdad, how do you figure he is not coming home?

jshanahanjr
02-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Patrick Elwood is the co-anchor on Fox from 5-7am. He is a Southsider and a Sox Fan!

VaSoxfan
02-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Enough already about this. Don't you people realize that the Cubs could sign the Lord and all his disciples...and STILL won't win the Series??

Besides, people are totally overlooking the Astros. If you look at the potential starting pitching staffs, the Astros can more than compare. The Cubs (Prior, Zambrano, Wood, Clement, Estes, Maddux) had a 83-62 record last year. Houston (Oswalt, Redding, Miller, Robertson, Clemens, Pettite) went 87-58.

The bullpens are pretty similar and while the Astros lost Wagner, Dotel is awesome and should be able to fit in nicely. And in terms of offense, the Astros have like 5 guys with 25+ homers in the lineup, all with good batting averages.

I wouldn't hand anything to the Flubs yet. Even with their admirable additions, they will still be in a serious fight to even win their own division.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Crawdad, how do you figure he is not coming home?

NSFan, how do you figure that he IS coming home?

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 11:55 AM

He started his career here crawdad. In baseball terms, that would be coming home.

chisox56
02-18-2004, 12:01 PM
I hope maddux fails his physical. That would be the best news for the people of chicagoland.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 12:03 PM
He started his career here crawdad. In baseball terms, that would be coming home.

Oh bull! This is all a part of the Cubbie hoopla, hype and B.S. machine. Maddux is from Texas. Maddux has never made Chicago his home. Maddux ran away from the Cubbies at the first chance he had and never looked back. If Maddux truly wanted to return to the Cubbies so much he would have signed with them back in November. Other teams were marginally interested in Maddux. The only reason Maddux signed with the Cubbies is because they were the only team willing to over-pay for him.

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Oh bull! This is all a part of the Cubbie hoopla, hype and B.S. machine. Maddux is from Texas. Maddux has never made Chicago his home. Maddux ran away from the Cubbies at the first chance he had and never looked back. If Maddux truly wanted to return to the Cubbies so much he would have signed with them back in November. Other teams were marginally interested in Maddux. The only reason Maddux signed with the Cubbies is because they were the only team willing to over-pay for him.

He turned down more $ from Baltimore to come here. The Giants made a last second proposal last night that was rejected. Crawdad, I know you and many Sox fans are doing a slow burn right now. But lets stick to the facts. Maddux "coming home" simply means he is back where he started his career.

Jerko
02-18-2004, 12:17 PM
If you think Fox was bad this morning, don't go to ESPN.com's page 2. They already have the Cubs World Series rotation figured out.

Brian26
02-18-2004, 12:20 PM
and some oriental looking Bimbo's first words of the broadcast...

:hawk

"I luv it when Hangar calls the morning news lady 'some oriental looking bimbo'!"

:DJ

"Mmmm hmmm."

bc2k
02-18-2004, 12:23 PM
The Cubbie pitching staph

:)

doublem23
02-18-2004, 12:26 PM

This is what I've been trying to figure out.

jeremyb1
02-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I find it really sickening that Wolf can openly root for the Cubs and against the White Sox in the middle of a news broadcast.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Can we just take it east again? I think the media wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't report exciting signings for one of their teams. Was the 300 wins comment necessary? No...but there's no reason for Cubs fans to not be excited. There's no reason for the media to be covering the White Sox right now. What would they say?

Whatever you may say about what happens this year, if we signed a HOF pitcher, you would be excited.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 12:42 PM
He turned down more $ from Baltimore to come here. The Giants made a last second proposal last night that was rejected. Crawdad, I know you and many Sox fans are doing a slow burn right now. But lets stick to the facts. Maddux "coming home" simply means he is back where he started his career.

Do you have any proof that Baltimore offered Maddux more money than the Cubbies? Why was the Giants offer rejected?

From what I've read the Cubbies made Maddux the largest contract offer and that is why he's signing with the Cubbies. Also, I'm not in persuaded by your opinion on Maddux coming home. How is that I'm not sticking to the facts?

And please don't give me your psycho-analysis crap. I'm not burning in anyway about the Cubbies signing an aged Greg Maddux. I've simply poked fun at the hype, hoopla and bull feces surrounding this.

If you're truly interested in people sticking to facts you should be talking to your fellow Cubbie fans and the Cub-loving media who are making grandiose predictions and saying that the Cubbies have the best pitching staph in baseball history (and other wild-eyed emotional statements).

RichFitztightly
02-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
Whatever you may say about what happens this year, if we signed a HOF pitcher, you would be excited.

I think the overall point in all this is... yeah WE would be excited. But the media wouldn't be. Right now the media is doing a Caligula-sized orgy over the signing of Maddux. Chicago media is the worst, but else where is boarderline intolerable.

Last year when the Sox got Colon, the media was excited, yet reserved when talking about the details. Fast Forward to this year... we got every anchor, not just sportscaster, squeeling with the delight of a fat kid getting an extra piece of chocolate cake over this signing.

A lot of Sox fans are just sick of it. And I think that's what the point of this thread is.

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 01:01 PM

And please don't give me your psycho-analysis crap. I'm not burning in anyway about the Cubbies signing an aged Greg Maddux.

Crawdad, I could have swore I saw at least 5 posts when you said the Sox should sign Maddux. That is not what I meant however when I said most Sox fans are doing a slow burn. I meant that Reinsdorf has done nothing of note to really improve the Sox. Crawdad, have you seen this board? I think it is fair to say that Sox fans are not a happy bunch today, no?

Fridaythe13thJason
02-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
I think the overall point in all this is... yeah WE would be excited. But the media wouldn't be. Right now the media is doing a Caligula-sized orgy over the signing of Maddux. Chicago media is the worst, but else where is boarderline intolerable.

Last year when the Sox got Colon, the media was excited, yet reserved when talking about the details. Fast Forward to this year... we got every anchor, not just sportscaster, squeeling with the delight of a fat kid getting an extra piece of chocolate cake over this signing.

A lot of Sox fans are just sick of it. And I think that's what the point of this thread is.

Factually, the Cubs were the National League favorite to win the pennant. When the favorite for the pennant picks up a HOF pitcher, it is a bigger deal than when a currently underachieving team makes a trade for a big name pitcher.

thepaulbowski
02-18-2004, 01:08 PM

Maybe the media should report on the recent White Sox signings...

<crickets chiriping>

Oh, wait maybe the media should talk about how great the Bulls are...

<crickets chirping>

Oh, then they could talk about how good the Hawks are...

<crickets chirping>

Point of the story...why shouldn't they love the Cubs and talk about them, they are spending money to put together a good team. What are the Sox doing right now? Nothing. Maybe they should rehash the upper deck renovations.

RichFitztightly
02-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Factually, the Cubs were the National League favorite to win the pennant. When the favorite for the pennant picks up a HOF pitcher, it is a bigger deal than when a currently underachieving team makes a trade for a big name pitcher.

ummmm... Last year the Sox were favored to win the pennant. The year before that they were favored to win the pennant. When a team favored to win the pennant picks up a 20-game winner in his prime to push them over the hump. Not to mention he won 20 games on 2 losing teams!!! And this player is in his prime as opposed to winding down his career. And these completely objective anchors are squeeling over this Cubbie acquisition, while non-chalantly glossing over a previous acquisition by the red-headed step child of a team. Then yes I have a problem with that. As do other people on this list and else where.

RichFitztightly
02-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Maybe the media should report on the recent White Sox signings...

<crickets chiriping>

Oh, wait maybe the media should talk about how great the Bulls are...

<crickets chirping>

Oh, then they could talk about how good the Hawks are...

<crickets chirping>

Point of the story...why shouldn't they love the Cubs and talk about them, they are spending money to put together a good team. What are the Sox doing right now? Nothing. Maybe they should rehash the upper deck renovations.

I agree that there's not much to be excited about with regards to the Sox off-season action this year. I'm not comparing the media's response to Cubs off-season action and Sox off-season action.

I'm comparing the media's response to this Cubs off-season action and last year's Sox off-season action. Last year the media wasn't nearly as squeally with delight as they are this year.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-18-2004, 01:21 PM
ummmm... Last year the Sox were favored to win the pennant. The year before that they were favored to win the pennant. When a team favored to win the pennant picks up a 20-game winner in his prime to push them over the hump. Not to mention he won 20 games on 2 losing teams!!! And this player is in his prime as opposed to winding down his career. And these completely objective anchors are squeeling over this Cubbie acquisition, while non-chalantly glossing over a previous acquisition by the red-headed step child of a team. Then yes I have a problem with that. As do other people on this list and else where.

What world do you live in where the Sox were favored to win the pennant? They may have been favored to win their division, but not one expert, nor Vegas didn't think they wouldn't get crushed in the playoffs.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Crawdad, I could have swore I saw at least 5 posts when you said the Sox should sign Maddux. That is not what I meant however when I said most Sox fans are doing a slow burn. I meant that Reinsdorf has done nothing of note to really improve the Sox. Crawdad, have you seen this board? I think it is fair to say that Sox fans are not a happy bunch today, no?

I've made a few sarcastic comments about the Sox signing Maddux. Realistically that was never going to happen. So I'm not burning on the Sox not signing Maddux.

And I don't think it would have been a good move for the Sox anyway. Maddux has been getting hit hard the last few years and been giving up increasing numbers of HRs. The Cell probably would not have been a great place for Maddux to pitch on a regular basis.

The Cubbies signing Maddux is a good move, but it's not all that it's been hyped as. This is not a 28 year-old Maddux that they've signed, it's a 38 year-old Maddux that they've signed.

You can be sure too that IF the Sox had signed Maddux, Cubbie fans would be pointing out Maddux's decline.

The other thing, if Juan Cruz is all that he's been hyped to be (Pedro junior), why is it that he's been passed over the for three straight seasons for a place in the Cubbie rotation?

Why all this talk about getting Maddux?
In his 2003 starts he averaged just under 6 innings per game, his ERA was
higher than 2002 which was higher than 2001 and he is giving up more homers
than ever before.
It is just like the Cubs to pick up a guy in the twilight of his career.
Let him go. We don't want him. - Yankee fan

beckett21
02-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Let the Cubs be the media darlings. I think that epitomizes everything about what we HATE about the Cubs.

Frankly, I like it that we get no respect with the media. We don't owe them a thing. Don't worry, when we are winning (not necessarily this year) the media will jump on the bandwagon--and they will prove to the city and the world what a bunch of fair weather followers they are.

I think as Sox fans we feed off the fact that we have something to prove. If the media loved us and we were everybody's favorite team, then it wouldn't be as fun to be a Sox fan IMO. We would be as pathetic as the Flubs.

Let them have their coronation--they still haven't won JACK.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Frankly, I like it that we get no respect with the media. We don't owe them a thing. Don't worry, when we are winning (not necessarily this year) the media will jump on the bandwagon--and they will prove to the city and the world what a bunch of fair weather followers they are.

I feel like I need to remind people that they are the media...not fans. They're supposed to be bandwagon, and jump on whatever the public wants. That's their job. The people don't want White Sox baseball...that's a fact.

RichFitztightly
02-18-2004, 02:05 PM
What world do you live in where the Sox were favored to win the pennant? They may have been favored to win their division, but not one expert, nor Vegas didn't think they wouldn't get crushed in the playoffs.

Last year ESPN the Magazine had an article where 4 experts forecasted the results of the season. Three of the Four had the Sox winning the division and Two of the remaining Three had the Sox winning the pennant. I remember sitting on the John reading that and thinking, "At least somebody is giving the team some respect."

I will give you that most experts in both years had them winning the division and nothing else. However, my point remains that the media is fawning over the Cubs more than they ever would with the Sox, even when the Sox, in a similar situation, make a move with more potential impact than the Cubs just did.

Fridaythe13thJason
02-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Last year ESPN the Magazine had an article where 4 experts forecasted the results of the season. Three of the Four had the Sox winning the division and Two of the remaining Three had the Sox winning the pennant. I remember sitting on the John reading that and thinking, "At least somebody is giving the team some respect."

I will give you that most experts in both years had them winning the division and nothing else. However, my point remains that the media is fawning over the Cubs more than they ever would with the Sox, even when the Sox, in a similar situation, make a move with more potential impact than the Cubs just did.

I give you that...you have a good point, except that the media's one and only job is to give the people what they want. People want Cubs baseball. If the media covered the Chicago Fire intensely because they were good, they would lose ratings and interest. The majority of people do not care.

CWSGuy406
02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
I admit I'd like to have Maddux, but I'm not going nuts that we didnt get him.

Wrigley is a smaller park. Maddux has been declining. That can be bad news. BTW, Maddux is the fifth starter, and making 7.5 million a year. Whatever, life goes on.

We have a lot of holes (a lot more than the Cubs), but the Cubs aren't perfect. Add to that Houston and St Louis are also still in that division, with one of the top two hitters in baseball in that division (Pujols.).

SoxFan76
02-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Cub fans have every right to be excited about this signing. But it is NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL!!! Good Lord, he had a 4 ERA in the NATIONAL LEAGUE on a PLAYOFF TEAM and he was the Braves ace. He is going to be 4th or 5th in the rotation. He only had 16 wins last year as the ace of the rotation. Wrigley is also a hitters ballpark, right? Cub fans refuse to look at facts. All they know is that he did really good in Atlanta but started his career in Chicago.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Did you hear Boers & Bernstein's show today? Boers & Berns both said they thought that this was a good signing by the Cubs. But because they weren't soiling themselves with glee and cheerleading (like so many of the other Chicago media) Cubbie fans were calling, faxing and emailing them complaining.

RichFitztightly
02-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Did you hear Boers & Bernstein's show today? Boers & Berns both said they thought that this was a good signing by the Cubs. But because they weren't soiling themselves with glee and cheerleading (like so many of the other Chicago media) Cubbie fans were calling, faxing and emailing them complaining.

This illustrates my point completely. I agree with you UICJason The media should report on what the fans want to hear. I just don't think those "reports" should include objective journalists "soiling themselves with glee." The fact that cubs fans were calling them complaining just illustrates how big of a bias they actually expect to recieve.

Cheers Mate :gulp:

Hangar18
02-18-2004, 11:15 PM
I think the media wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't report exciting signings for one of their teams. ... There's no reason for the media to be covering the White Sox right now. What would they say?

That Never Stopped the CubLoving Media back when the cubs were nearly 100 games in a season..... Instead, they were All bitching and moaning about why the cubs are so bad, and poor cubs, when are they gonna win, and why wont they sign someone, or lets bring the damn goat back for the 18th time, and maybe the cubs need some voodoo, and hey this could finally be the year blah blah blah. The CUbs ALWAYS had the Media Coverage, BIASED, Full of Propoganda, and Completely UNDESERVED. They got more coverage than a Team that was going to the WOrld Series 4 yrs out of 6. Meanwhile, the SOX had a better record, and were in "contention" arguably for a STaggering Majority of the years.....Yet the SOX were always overlooked for the fuzzy blue team. Numbs the mind after a while, and raises the Hatred of that other team a few notches....