PDA

View Full Version : LA Daily News reports "good chance dodgers pull off trade for PK or Hurt

habibharu
02-18-2004, 09:45 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~1962367,00.html

StepsInSC
02-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Time to go buy me a Dodger's cap.

Hokiesox
02-18-2004, 09:47 AM
I'll part with PK's salary anytime. If the hurt goes....

mantis1212
02-18-2004, 09:48 AM
God I hope it's Wheels...

skottyj242
02-18-2004, 09:49 AM
The only way this makes sense if it's for Gagne. Nothing else. The money isn't a provlem, so what they get rid of PK's salary, they're not going to do anything with it.

Dadawg_77
02-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I don't think it will be Pauly, but Frank is gone if a trade happens.

StepsInSC
02-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I don't think it will be Pauly, but Frank is gone if a trade happens.

Its gotta be. I don't see how DePodesta would touch PK with a 10 foot poll, especially when you consider its him dealing with KDub, and in any trade odds are DePodesta will come out on top.

But still, unless Frank comes out into the public after a trade and said "I wanted to be traded" I would be royally, and possibly unforgiveably pissed at this organization.

Mickster
02-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Odalis Perez has been inconsistent and alienated teammates with disparaging public comments

Great, this is what we might be trading for!

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Its gotta be. I don't see how DePodesta wouldn't touch PK with a 10 foot poll, especially when you consider its him dealing with KDub, and in any trade odds are DePodesta will come out on top.

But still, unless Frank comes out into the public after a trade and said "I wanted to be traded" I would be royally, and possibly unforgiveably pissed at this organization. It's being reported that he said he wants to be traded to the Dodgers. I bet you they talked to him.

Dadawg_77
02-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Its gotta be. I don't see how DePodesta wouldn't touch PK with a 10 foot poll, especially when you consider its him dealing with KDub, and in any trade odds are DePodesta will come out on top.

But still, unless Frank comes out into the public after a trade and said "I wanted to be traded" I would be royally, and possibly unforgiveably pissed at this organization.

But what if the organization created an atmosphere to cause Frank to want to be traded? Man, if Frank is traded it will shake my fandom of this team. **** Kenny.

lowesox
02-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Could this organization be that dumb? We're going to lose Ordonez by the end of this year - would they seriously trade Thomas too? After a year of missed expectations? After an awful offseason? After the self-imposed budget?

I mean, if you can get a fair return - then fine. But it had better be one whopper of a return.

Lip Man 1
02-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Lowe:

Yes this organization could be that dumb. Perhaps they are slashing payroll down to almost nothing for next season.

Lip

kittle42
02-18-2004, 10:27 AM
White Sox = Blackhawks

KingXerxes
02-18-2004, 10:37 AM
The White Sox line-up, without Frank Thomas, all of a sudden looks incredibly mediocre.

Do not trade Thomas.

StepsInSC
02-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
But what if the organization created an atmosphere to cause Frank to want to be traded? Man, if Frank is traded it will shake my fandom of this team. **** Kenny.

It will put a severe blow to mine too. I'm just trying not to let my love affair with Frank cloud my vision, but I don't know what I would do if Frank wasn't in the good guys pin stripes.

TheRockinMT
02-18-2004, 10:52 AM
No reason to get worked up just yet. The news report is nothing more than a rehash of what we have heard all winter. We also know about Perez and he isn't worth either Frank or PK even up. The Bums could trade for either one, that's the only truth to the obvious musings of the writer. However, will they give the Sox the value they want? If we were to trade even up for Perez I think that's the end of KW and I don't think he is going to be rushed or snowballed. I would rather go into the season with who we have then make a rush trade just days before the spring training gates open.

MRKARNO
02-18-2004, 11:08 AM
No Jackson, No thomas. It's that simple in my book

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
No Jackson, No thomas. It's that simple in my book Or Miller in mine.

Deadguy
02-18-2004, 11:11 AM
I think the Dodgers are now my second favorite team. Frank will tear it up in LA, but we are in deep trouble. I'm off to go buy a Dodgers cap.

Palehose13
02-18-2004, 11:35 AM
According to the article PK and Frank pales in comparison to whoever else they were going after. I can see how PK pales in comparison to others they wanted to acquire, but Frank??? No way.

jeremyb1
02-18-2004, 12:40 PM
People are severely overreacting to one unsubstantiated sentence in this article. There isn't even any mention of the Dodgers new GM in the entire article which may have a bearing on deals the club wants. If KW was willing to deal Thomas for Perez I don't see why it wouldn't have happened already and I'm skeptical that DePodesta would be particularly interested in Thomas or Konerko.

soxnut
02-18-2004, 01:20 PM
If he wants to go, let him...bye. I like his numbers, but in reality, he stunts the team's flexiblity. So does PK, so one of 'em can go.

But hey, if they trade Frank, and people say they're not going to be Sox fans anymore, well, that's kinda crazy. I remember when Harold was traded the first time, that was a shock.(Many would still chant his name when Fletcher would come up to bat). Alot of people said they were done being Sox fans, but they got over it.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
If he wants to go, let him...bye. I like his numbers, but in reality, he stunts the team's flexiblity. So does PK, so one of 'em can go.

But hey, if they trade Frank, and people say they're not going to be Sox fans anymore, well, that's kinda crazy. I remember when Harold was traded the first time, that was a shock.(Many would still chant his name when Fletcher would come up to bat). Alot of people said they were done being Sox fans, but they got over it. It comes down to, our you a Frank Thomas fan or a Sox fan. I'm a Sox fan. I like Frank, but if he doesn't want to be here, he can only hurt this club, despite good numbers. Regardless if he has legitimate reasons for wanting to leave, it won't help our club. However, I am not willing to give him away. I want more than just Perez, otherwise Frank is just gonna have to suck it up and honor his contract.

soxnut
02-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
It comes down to, our you a Frank Thomas fan or a Sox fan. I'm a Sox fan. I like Frank, but if he doesn't want to be here, he can only hurt this club, despite good numbers. Regardless if he has legitimate reasons for wanting to leave, it won't help our club. However, I am not willing to give him away. I want more than just Perez, otherwise Frank is just gonna have to suck it up and honor his contract.

Well, yeah, I do want them to get something good for him, much like the Harold trade, where they got Fletcher, Alvarez and Sosa.(great intentions, too bad Sosa didn't work out on our side of town)

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Odalis Perez does not equal Frank Thomas. While our rotation would be solidified somewhat, that only creates a gaping hole for a rookie or whats left of free agents. Either at first or dh, (or OF if lee moves to either of those) Reed looks like he will be great, but if he isnt ready, do you want joe borchard, marvin benard, or ross gload replacing the big hurt? i dont

stillz
02-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Frank is the heart of this club. Harold was in his day, but Frank now owns the sox record books. He's one, maybe two, great years from cementing his place in Cooperstown. To trade him without producing a multi-year contract for Magglio will KILL this franchise.

Let PK go. He's too damn slow, and Frank deserves another chance in the field anyway.

Kittle
02-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
It comes down to, our you a Frank Thomas fan or a Sox fan. I'm a Sox fan. I like Frank, but if he doesn't want to be here, he can only hurt this club, despite good numbers. Regardless if he has legitimate reasons for wanting to leave, it won't help our club. However, I am not willing to give him away. I want more than just Perez, otherwise Frank is just gonna have to suck it up and honor his contract.

I agree. I'd love to see Frank here forever, but if they can deal Frank for Perez and another player AND sign Mags to a long-term deal, it would be in the best interest of the team. I'd rather see PK dealt, but he's not in Frank's league.

Losing Frank would certain cut down on our run production, but pitching is what takes teams to the playoffs and we don't even have a legitimate #3 at this point. Plus, it's not like last year's lineup of power (Frank, Mags, Carlos, Everett, PK, Manos) was tearing it up. Mags and Carlos will produce, PK will probably produce, and a good year from Manos (.275, 20 HR, 80 RBI), along with three solid pitchers, will put us in contention.

emaholic
02-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
White Sox = Blackhawks

Sad, very sad, but true.

batmanZoSo
02-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~1962367,00.html

That article is hardly something to get excited about. It doesn't mention any names or scenarios, just says "there's a good chance..."

I'll take anything for Konerko. Even if he reverted to form, he would be a waste at 8 million bucks. As is, he's a complete load.

If they trade Thomas, they better get something really good for him, and I mean really good. If something like Frank for Perez happens, I'm gone.

Foulke You
02-18-2004, 06:49 PM
I don't know, I honestly believe KW when he says he doesn't expect to make any major trades before Spring Training. Everyone seems to be getting worked up but everything we've seen so far this offseason indicates nothing major will be going down. I think KW made it pretty clear at SoxFest when he repeatedly said he likes the team we have. I just don't see us making moves before Spring Training. At the all star break, we are going to be seeing some action though. If we're competitive, I think we'll add players, if we are dying though...get ready for Frank, Maggs, and Valentin to go bye bye.

Jerry_Manuel
02-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Somebody mentioned how poor the lineup will look without Frank and Magglio, and I totally agree. However, I think that's the direction Ozzie and Kenny are going to go. I believe they'll try and build a team that's fast and plays solid defense. Not the best plan for the AL, but that's just my take on what they'll do.

longshot7
02-18-2004, 07:23 PM
The Daily News sucks, by the way. I wouldn't trust them with any leads. I have heard some rumblings that Konerko is the object of the latest desire - but I don't see DePodesta making any major moves at least until the end of spring training. He needs to get acclimated.

soxnut
02-18-2004, 08:33 PM
[If they trade Thomas, they better get something really good for him, and I mean really good. If something like Frank for Perez happens, I'm gone. [/B][/QUOTE]

Bye...... :D: