PDA

View Full Version : Why do we even bother?

Kittle
02-18-2004, 03:07 AM
And Jerry fiddles while the South Side burns...un****ing real. This is the lowest I've felt as a Sox fan in a LONG time.

My sentiments exactly. After last season's meltdown, I considered giving up on the Sox for good.

But, even after the Yanks sign A-Rod and the Scrubs sign Maddux, here I am again sporting my Sox apparel with Spring Training just around the corner. Even my other team (the Cards) look like a third place squad right now.

Why do we torture ourselves like this every year? Is there a 12-step program for this?

jeremyb1
02-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
My sentiments exactly. After last season's meltdown, I considered giving up on the Sox for good.

But, even after the Yanks sign A-Rod and the Scrubs sign Maddux, here I am again sporting my Sox apparel with Spring Training just around the corner. Even my other team (the Cards) look like a third place squad right now.

Why do we torture ourselves like this every year? Is there a 12-step program for this?

Our organization is far from perfect but when I see comments like this I wonder how Sox fans would cope with life as a Brewers or Tigers fan. We could have it so much worse. We could win so many fewer games and spend so much less money.

SSN721
02-18-2004, 05:56 AM
Where is the Jerry fiddle quote from? I agree with Jeremy too, it could be a lot worse, at least we get a team almost every year that could contend for the division title, I couldnt imagine being a tigers or brewers fan.

Kittle
02-18-2004, 07:21 AM
I agree that it would suck to be a Tigers or Brewers fan right now, but they've both been to the WS in recent memory (the '80s). Hell, the Tigers won it all 20 years ago. The Sox haven't been to the series in 45 years and haven't won in (gulp!) 87 years.

Saying that Sox fans are better off than Tigers and Brewers fans is kind of like saying that Vikings fans are better off than Bears and Jets fans.

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2004, 08:39 AM
This is going to be a long, painfull summer for so many reasons. I will not even be able to insulate myself by not reading the sports section of the paper. This cubbie bandwagon will undoubtedly make it into the news section on a regular basis.

Brian26
02-18-2004, 09:09 AM

Relax. Everything will be fine...there's still 162 games to go.

You torture yourself every year because you love baseball and you root for the Sox like they're your family.

soxnut
02-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Ya know, they way some of you talk about how bad you think this team is, you'd think the Sox are the Brewers for crying out loud. There is still alot of talent on this team, and I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox did win the division. If they are compettitve, there will be a trade made to improve for the post-season.

I am not giving up, you never do, this is sports and the games hae to be played. If you're a fan, you're a fan--and you've got to be there for your team, not just when times are good(which they're going to be anyway).

I went through watching two whole seasons of crap in '88 and '89 and if I could get through that, I can get through anything as a Sox fan.

AS for the Cubs doing things they think will help them, well, good for them. Are they going to get alot of coverage in the sports pages(as well as other outlets)?....well yeah they are, but the shock should be over by now....get over it. They have a good team.

Let's stop with the "two crabs in a bucket" mentality and just support your freakin team.

KingXerxes
02-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Let's stop with the "two crabs in a bucket" mentality and just support your freakin team.

I could not possibly agree with the above quote more.

There is an old saying, "The only thing worst than finishing last is finishing second". That, in a nutshell, is what I think bothers White Sox fans, and makes them a little more miserable than Milwaukee or Detroit fans. Brewer/Tiger fans - at least those with any brains - realize that their clubs are a million miles away from winning anything, and will accept any sign of life as a sign of progress and hope. White Sox fans do not have that "luxury". They've been too close for too long, competitive certainly but also very dissappointing and aggravating.

Jerko
02-18-2004, 09:41 AM
I didn't realize the goal every year is to "not be the Brewers". I'd like to win every now and then. If our division is SOOOOO weak, which is all I've been hearing for 3 seasons now, well how come we never win it? That makes it even worse. I know the season hasn't even started yet and we can catch "lightning in a bottle", but what is different this offseason from last? Harris at 2nd instead of Jimenez? Everything else is the same position player wise. We STILL don't have a 4th or 5th starter, Thomas, Guillen and Valentin are popping off already, Mags is on the block and possibly gone, and we have to rely on Konerko and Koch to be their old selves? That's a little much to over come and it's FEBRUARY! That's why a lot of people here are negative, and I don't think just because "we're not the Brewers" means we should be satisfied as fans.

CubKilla
02-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by soxnut

I'll support my team by NOT going to games until JR sells or the Sox are a LEGIT contender. Winning the AL Central this year means nothing. I refuse to further line the pockets of an owner who has completely destroyed the Organization in every facet that I grew up cheering for.

I'm done.

Lip Man 1
02-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Why do we even bother?

Because we're all sadists or masocists?

Lip

soxnut
02-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I'll support my team by NOT going to games until JR sells or the Sox are a LEGIT contender. Winning the AL Central this year means nothing. I refuse to further line the pockets of an owner who has completely destroyed the Organization in every facet that I grew up cheering for.

I'm done.

That's ridiculous.........

Iwritecode
02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
There is an old saying, "The only thing worst than finishing last is finishing second". That, in a nutshell, is what I think bothers White Sox fans, and makes them a little more miserable than Milwaukee or Detroit fans. Brewer/Tiger fans - at least those with any brains - realize that their clubs are a million miles away from winning anything, and will accept any sign of life as a sign of progress and hope. White Sox fans do not have that "luxury". They've been too close for too long, competitive certainly but also very dissappointing and aggravating.

I think I just found a new quote for my signature...

duke of dorwood
02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
We WERE the Tigers & Brewers for a lot of years. But even a broke owner like Bill Veeck rented players to give us hope. Then in rides Reinsdorf=belittles Veeck and makes us competitive for a while claiming to have the resources Veeck didnt for us to win. He holds up the state for a new park-and its been all about $ since then. We're closer to the Tigers & Brewers than you think-with a bigger jerk for an owner

CHISOXFAN13
02-18-2004, 01:27 PM

You know what then...LEAVE. I hate so-called die-hard Sox fans that say, "I'm this close to giving up the Sox for good."

Don't let the door hit you in the ass then.

soxnut
02-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
You know what then...LEAVE. I hate so-called die-hard Sox fans that say, "I'm this close to giving up the Sox for good."

Amen

soxnut
02-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
We WERE the Tigers & Brewers for a lot of years. But even a broke owner like Bill Veeck rented players to give us hope. Then in rides Reinsdorf=belittles Veeck and makes us competitive for a while claiming to have the resources Veeck didnt for us to win. He holds up the state for a new park-and its been all about $ since then. We're closer to the Tigers & Brewers than you think-with a bigger jerk for an owner

Well, maybe if Veeck would have put anything into the ballpark there would have been no holding the state hostage. As for rent a player....what in the H do you think KW did last year for crying out loud..??

Kittle
02-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

I would've thought that someone who's been following the team for approximately the same length of time as myself (I'm assuming, from your birth date) would understand, but I guess not.

I'm sorry that you don't "approve" of me being fed up. Then again, I'm not here to seek your approval, so I couldn't care less.

Have a nice day.

Dick Allen
02-18-2004, 03:04 PM
I would've thought that someone who's been following the team for approximately the same length of time as myself (I'm assuming, from your birth date) would understand, but I guess not.

I'm sorry that you don't "approve" of me being fed up. Then again, I'm not here to seek your approval, so I couldn't care less.

Have a nice day. My sentiments exactly. I've been following this team for 44 years, and you can only get kicked in the nuts so many times before you throw up your arms and say that's enough.

Mammoo
02-18-2004, 03:18 PM
We could have it so much worse. We could win so many fewer games and spend so much less money.

How different are the Sox from the Brewers or Tigers? A loser is a loser is a loser. If there is no hope of getting to the post season; what's the point?

Sure the White Sox are in a bad division, but Kansas City has made far greater strides in improving their club.

I've made up my mind to spend more time (and money) on the Sox this year. I just want a little excitement.

Is that so wrong? :?:

Baby Fisk
02-19-2004, 03:58 PM
I like this thread because it captures the paradox of rooting for a team like the Sox. We all KNOW they will disappoint us and we REFUSE to get our hopes up like moronic Cub fans because we know better. And yet, we're still here. Being hooked on the Sox is worse than alcohol or drugs because the latter at least give you a momentary high. If the Sox win a WS, several people on this board would drop dead of shock. Here's how perverse it is: I was glad that the Sox sparked some hope into September 2003 before the wheels came off. I went haywire during the off-season buying Sox gear and getting attached to this board. My interest in the team had waned after 2000, but now I can't wait for 2004 to begin...

...and the Sox to find new and exciting ways to disappoint again.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 04:13 PM
You bother because you are a fan of the team. 30 years from now when they finally win the World Series again, you'll be able to say, "I stuck with them through thick and thin. F all you bandwagon fans."

Paulwny
02-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
You bother because you are a fan of the team. 30 years from now when they finally win the World Series again, you'll be able to say, "I stuck with them through thick and thin. F all you bandwagon fans."

OUCH !! Why did you have to say 30yrs? I'll be in my final resting place before it happens.

Daver
02-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
OUCH !! Why did you have to say 30yrs? I'll be in my final resting place before it happens.

Think positive Paul,my grandfather just celebrated his 96th birthday.

And he still plays golf three times a week.

:)

Paulwny
02-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Think positive Paul,my grandfather just celebrated his 96th birthday.

And he still plays golf three times a week.

:)

WOW, Great for him. I'll bet he's not a sox fan.

rdivaldi
02-19-2004, 09:09 PM
OUCH !! Why did you have to say 30yrs? I'll be in my final resting place before it happens

Just throwing a random number in there. If I had said a low number like 2 or 3, I'd be torn apart for being a homer. If I had said a huge number like 60 or 70, I'd have been ripped apart for being too negative.

Just trying to find a happy medium... :D: