PDA

View Full Version : Konerko

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 02:33 AM
We all hope that PK rebounds this year, I believe he will. However, something that is easily overlooked, even though it doesn't make up for a subpar performance, is that he a lead the AL in fielding percentage with a career-high .998 percentage. At the very least you can expect him to play solid D, but I expect his bat to come back around.

munchman33
02-18-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
We all hope that PK rebounds this year, I believe he will. However, something that is easily overlooked, even though it doesn't make up for a subpar performance, is that he a lead the AL in fielding percentage with a career-high .998 percentage. At the very least you can expect him to play solid D, but I expect his bat to come back around.

Yeah, but do you realize how bad his range is. I've seen him stand still on balls that he could have had if he just fell to his right. Almost no instincts.

jeremyb1
02-18-2004, 03:20 AM
Yeah other defensive metrics I've seen rate him as well below average.

gosox41
02-18-2004, 07:12 AM

Frank is just as good (bad??) if not better then Paul is defensively. Frank's downfall is he can't throw to turn the 3-6-3 DP, but that only happens a few times a year.

Bob

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Frank is just as good (bad??) if not better then Paul is defensively. Frank's downfall is he can't throw to turn the 3-6-3 DP, but that only happens a few times a year.

Bob It happens enough to be a concern, especially if it's widely known you can't handle your throws.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Yeah other defensive metrics I've seen rate him as well below average. That's true, he was signed for his bat mainly. But even though his range is limited, nothing gets by him. There are some 1b basemen with the range and power like D. Lee, but they are few. At the very least Konerko is considered a solid fielder. Now if he was traded, a guy like Travis Lee would be a good sign because of his superb defense and range. However, he doesn't quite have the pop Konerko has previously shown. Doug M. of the Twins too, great D and solid offense, but little power. It's almost a trade off, but 1b is usually considered a power position, although it doesn't have to be. I would point out though that if Konerko can regain his offensive form, his D would be certainly good enough to be considered a good overall 1b.

poorme
02-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Konerko's defense is average at best. His job is to hit.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Konerko's defense is average at best. His job is to hit. I'm just trying to point out that he isn't a defensive liability. That is a good defensive fielding percentage, and even though his range is limited, on grounders where he easily gets to the bag, throws aren't getting by him. Also he can pick hard line drives very well, if it's by him, lol. Anyway, he certainly isn't a bad 1b, I don't think you can make an argument like that, not that you did, I'm just generally speaking.

Dadawg_77
02-18-2004, 09:49 AM
He is a freaking first baseman. Who really cares about his fielding? Just put on a glove and catch the damn ball. You need hitters at first not Ozzie Smith.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
He is a freaking first baseman. Who really cares about his fielding? Just put on a glove and catch the damn ball. You need hitters at first not Ozzie Smith. Lol. I disagree that it is irrelevant, but I hear ya. If Konerko can make a huge pick and then do a backwards back flip, you'd be singing a different tune. Lol.

Dadawg_77
02-18-2004, 09:59 AM
Lol. I disagree that it is irrelevant, but I hear ya. If Konerko can make a huge pick and then do a backwards back flip, you'd be singing a different tune. Lol.

It would be cool to see but if his production didn't pick up at the plate, I still would want to see him moved. Just a little testy with all this trading Frank stuff going around.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I would be cool to see but if his production didn't pick up at the plate, I still would want to see him moved. Just a little testy with all this trading Frank stuff going around. Me too. I think the situation is a little bit of a problem. If his offense picks up then we won't necessarily want to trade him, and if it doesn't, it will be a challenge to move him, especially if we don't pick up salary.