PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Reed...the real deal?

LASOXFAN
02-17-2004, 11:45 PM
When was the last time a Sox rookie took the league by storm? It's been a while. I think of all the other teams that have been energized by a rookie sensation and wonder if it's not the Sox turn. He bats lefty and played first base in college, two positives on a team short of left-handed bats.

Anyone else feeling any mojo on this guy? Could he be the big Sox story of 2004? Or have I been drinking too much again?

:gulp:

doublem23
02-17-2004, 11:46 PM
Let's let him get his first taste of a big league training camp before we annoint him as our savior.

Would be nice, though.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-17-2004, 11:50 PM
I hope so. The sox need a new player to build around if Maggs leaves which is sounding realistic because he won't accept any of the offers from the Sox

jeremyb1
02-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I hope so. The sox need a new player to build around if Maggs leaves which is sounding realistic because he won't accept any of the offers from the Sox

He's got to get a shot first but I feel like he's a good candidate. Plate discipline never slumps so that would help him a lot with battling the adjustment to the big leagues. Guys that have dominant seasons in the minors and continue to perform well as they move up the ladder as Reed did last season tend to have good rookie seasons.

Chisoxfn
02-18-2004, 01:37 AM
Here we go, setting up a prospect to be ripped alive after they aren't Albert Pujols after a week of the season.

Not pointing you out specifically, just Sox fans in general. While ocassionally prospects just break out, lets just take things slow, like Doublem said and at least give the guy a spring training.

He's going to be a good player and I think he has a higher liklihood of being semi sucessful out of the gate, but I don't think anyone can predict whether a guy is going to come out of the gate like Pujols (Heck, that may not happen for another 10 years).

jeremyb1
02-18-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Here we go, setting up a prospect to be ripped alive after they aren't Albert Pujols after a week of the season.

Not pointing you out specifically, just Sox fans in general. While ocassionally prospects just break out, lets just take things slow, like Doublem said and at least give the guy a spring training.

He's going to be a good player and I think he has a higher liklihood of being semi sucessful out of the gate, but I don't think anyone can predict whether a guy is going to come out of the gate like Pujols (Heck, that may not happen for another 10 years).

Even if Reed dissapoints fans I'm convinced he'd still make a strong contribution to the team. Doubles power and 75+ walks will make him highly valuable even if he were only to hit .250 with less than 10 home runs.

SSN721
02-18-2004, 06:18 AM
I know it is still far to early to give this kid the title of leader/savior of the White Sox, but I wondered if he ever does cross over this threshold, has anyone ever spoken to him or read about his personality. It would be nice if we had a star on our team that was a real diplomat with the media, someone for a good interview, personable, not quiet, but not too loud either. Just wondered if anyone has met him personally or has read any stories in any of the citites he has played in so far for interviews and whatnot. Just love to have a guy that is good for PR that can be a good national mouthpiece for our club.

gosox41
02-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
When was the last time a Sox rookie took the league by storm? It's been a while. I think of all the other teams that have been energized by a rookie sensation and wonder if it's not the Sox turn. He bats lefty and played first base in college, two positives on a team short of left-handed bats.

Anyone else feeling any mojo on this guy? Could he be the big Sox story of 2004? Or have I been drinking too much again?

:gulp:

While he was called up mid-season I would say Frank was the last Sox prookie to really take the league by storm.

Bob

Randar68
02-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
While he was called up mid-season I would say Frank was the last Sox prookie to really take the league by storm.

Bob

Singleton, Caruso and Lee all had terrific rookie seasons. Only Lee was ever able to carry that over to the rest of his career though. I wouldn't call it "taking the league by storm", but if you're expecting Reed to be on Sportcenter all the time, don't bother. He's not going to hit 30-50 HR's to get himself plastered all over HR-Derby... Errrrr... I mean ESPN...

.275-15-70 is a very reasonable expectation with an OBP in the .330-.350 range. Something to build on. I think it's possiible he could do much better than that, but he's not the next Ted Williams.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-18-2004, 10:24 AM
See my thread from a couple of days ago: Jeremy Reed/Rafeil Palmerio

Reed has been compared to a young Rafael Palmerio. Its too early to tell but with todays juiced up ball there is no reason why Reed could eventually become a power hitter. A have a hunch and a hunch is all it is at this time but I tell you I think that Reed will be the finest
left handed bat in a White Sox uniform since Joe Jackson. I think he will make the team and split time between center and first. Win the Rookie of the Year award hitting .327 with a OB% of .395 with 22 steals, 110 runs scored, 18 HR's and 87 RBI. And make the All Star Team.

Randar68
02-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan

Reed has been compared to a young Rafael Palmerio. Its too early to tell but with todays juiced up ball there is no reason why Reed could eventually become a power hitter. A have a hunch and a hunch is all it is at this time but I tell you I think that Reed will be the finest
left handed bat in a White Sox uniform since Joe Jackson. I think he will make the team and split time between center and first. Win the Rookie of the Year award hitting .327 with a OB% of .395 with 22 steals, 110 runs scored, 18 HR's and 87 RBI. And make the All Star Team.

He better, because at this point, that's the only way this team will win 88 games, IMO.

Rex Hudler
02-18-2004, 02:10 PM

Can't we raise expectations any higher? I'm not sure we are expecting enough from this kid.

I can see the Jeremy Reed Sucks and is Overrated threads coming soon......

A. Cavatica
02-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Singleton, Caruso and Lee all had terrific rookie seasons.

No, we're looking for terrific meaning "really really good", instead of terrific meaning "adequate".

MRKARNO
02-18-2004, 06:49 PM
I want to see Reed hit .300 by his second full major league season. I hope he can do it because we might not have a good OF to replace maggs if he's not the answer

ondafarm
02-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Jeremy Reed needs this next year in the minors. He is a great player, probably the best five tool player I have ever seen, but he is not ready for the bigs. Maybe a late call-up but nothing this season.

mike squires
02-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
Jeremy Reed needs this next year in the minors. He is a great player, probably the best five tool player I have ever seen, but he is not ready for the bigs. Maybe a late call-up but nothing this season.

I agree with you 100%. I would hate to see him come up and fail and then blame it on not enough minor league at bats. Give him time. We've got plenty of it...

LASOXFAN
02-18-2004, 11:31 PM

Now THAT'S the kind of mojo I'm talking about! From a fellow Happy Felsch fan, no less.

I'm thinking the same thing you are and if Ozzie's the manager this guy fits into the picture big time. He hits the ball all over the field and that moves runners along which is at the heart of small ball. Thanks to roids, we know he'll be able to improve on his power numbers.

maurice
02-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
No, we're looking for terrific meaning "really really good", instead of terrific meaning "adequate".

.293 AVE / 84 RBI in 127 games
.300 AVE / 72 RBI / 20 SB in 133 games
.306 AVE / 81 Runs / 22 SB in 133 games

I don't know if that's "really really good," but it's a heck of a lot better than "adequate," particularly for a rookie. I'd be very happy to get those kind of numbers from Reed or Borchard in 2004.

Randar68
02-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by maurice

I don't know if that's "really really good," but it's a heck of a lot better than "adequate," particularly for a rookie. I'd be very happy to get those kind of numbers from Reed or Borchard in 2004.

No crap. How many Sox players hit .300 last year?

maurice
02-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
How many Sox players hit .300 last year?

That depends. Do Jamie Burke, Josh Paul, and Aaron Miles count?

A. Cavatica
02-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by maurice

Lee drew just 13 walks to go with that .293 average, for an awful .312 OBP. Caruso drew just 14, so he was below league average in both OBP and slugging. He also made 35 errors.

Singleton's rookie year was the only one that could be considered "really really good", and frankly, I would expect Reed to be better.

Randar68
02-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Lee drew just 13 walks to go with that .293 average, for an awful .312 OBP. Caruso drew just 14, so he was below league average in both OBP and slugging. He also made 35 errors.

Singleton's rookie year was the only one that could be considered "really really good", and frankly, I would expect Reed to be better.

:?:

Great. Set yourself up to be pissed when he doesn't deliver... *****. It's no wonder people get so worked up about prospects when they aren't Willie Mays or Albert Pujols their first year...