PDA

View Full Version : According to the 02/17/03's trib

MRKARNO
02-18-2004, 12:04 AM
The Sox will have the 12th highest payroll in the league next year. Compared to their attendence which was about 21st, this is pretty good. While our owners are not spending as much as we'd like them to, they also are not 100% cheaping out. The goal was a payroll of 58 mil, but they overblew that mby 5-7 mil, but the ownership isn't demanding that the excess payroll be cut. I know this doesnt mean our ownership is good, but it shows that if they feel it requires a certain amount of money to field a competitive team, then they will (as long as it is reasonable to them).

OK now start bashing this

pudge
02-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The Sox will have the 12th highest payroll in the league next year. Compared to their attendence which was about 21st, this is pretty good. While our owners are not spending as much as we'd like them to, they also are not 100% cheaping out. The goal was a payroll of 58 mil, but they overblew that mby 5-7 mil, but the ownership isn't demanding that the excess payroll be cut. I know this doesnt mean our ownership is good, but it shows that if they feel it requires a certain amount of money to field a competitive team, then they will (as long as it is reasonable to them).

Not only that, but I believe it's the largest opening salary in team history... in the day and age of the Yankees $200 million payroll, that still doesn't seem like much, but it's significant... think about how fast player salaries have increased compared to inflation, then you see why ticket prices keep soaring well beyond inflation.

doublem23
02-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Thank god they bucked up and brought in Robert Person and Cliff Politte.

:KW
They're grinders.

mantis1212
02-18-2004, 03:04 AM

So now what? Oh yeah, time to play some baseball. Let's figure out who this years' Mets are...

HITMEN OF 77
02-18-2004, 03:13 AM
I think it means a lot more to win a WS, division championship or what not with a 65 million dollar payroll than 200 million. The pressure has to huge on the Yankee players with all that money on the field. The question is can we do this with team we have right now? Yes, we can win the division. Let's start with that and worry about the rest in August and September. We can always add additions to our puzzle.

jeremyb1
02-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Thank god they bucked up and brought in Robert Person and Cliff Politte.

Everyone seems to only want to consider based on the personel retained from last season. With that logic, resigning all your free agents and increasing payroll from 20 million to 60 million would simply be maintaining the status quo while keeping half your players and upping payroll from 100 million to 120 million would be unacceptable. The first scenario would be more desirable than the second which is absurd. There is more to the bottom line when it comes to payroll than our talent last season compared to this season.

SSN721
02-18-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Everyone seems to only want to consider based on the personel retained from last season. With that logic, resigning all your free agents and increasing payroll from 20 million to 60 million would simply be maintaining the status quo while keeping half your players and upping payroll from 100 million to 120 million would be unacceptable. The first scenario would be more desirable than the second which is absurd. There is more to the bottom line when it comes to payroll than our talent last season compared to this season.

I agree, I mean, wouldnt we have to up the payroll by 10-20 million just if we wanted to keep all the free agents from last year. That is a lot, especially for players that were okay but certainly weren't guaranteed to carry the team to the promised land. Glad we still have the core of the team. If they used that 10-20 million would much rather they find some better free agents then the ones we picked up last year anyway.

ode to veeck
02-18-2004, 08:02 AM
keeping just Barto wouda been nice

SSN721
02-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
keeping just Barto wouda been nice

If we could have gotten him for 12 mil a year or less for three years or less I completely agree. Otherwise, too much money and risk.

cornball
02-18-2004, 09:02 AM

The lastest Yankee news, illustrates besides attendance, tv and merchandise play a huge roll of revenue. Being a large market with more access to more people via tv and radio means mega bucks.

The variance in dollars between the #12 highest and the #25, I would guess is minimal by baseball standards. When the numbers are large enough you can make them say whatever you want them too.

The Yankees sold 22,000 tix yesterday alone. If you build a team they will come.

duke of dorwood
02-18-2004, 09:11 AM
I'd rather have the pressure to win and the players to do it, than what we have. And remember, how much of that payroll is tied up in Magglio and Konerko? Both likely gone by mid-season.

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2004, 09:35 AM

This is faulty logic. Compare the Sox rank in revenue compared to the rest of the league and tell me whether they are spending an appropriate amount.

Iwritecode
02-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
If they used that 10-20 million would much rather they find some better free agents then the ones we picked up last year anyway.

Yea, it's too bad they didn't do either one...

jeremyb1
02-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
I agree, I mean, wouldnt we have to up the payroll by 10-20 million just if we wanted to keep all the free agents from last year. That is a lot, especially for players that were okay but certainly weren't guaranteed to carry the team to the promised land. Glad we still have the core of the team. If they used that 10-20 million would much rather they find some better free agents then the ones we picked up last year anyway.

13 million for Colon, 3 million for Gordon, about 2 million for Sullivan, 1+ million for Graffanino, Alomar supposedly wanted 3 million from us, and we'll say 4 million for Everett since that's what he signed for but that's a conservative estimate since due to our position to offer arbitration he almost certainly would've demanded more from us. That adds 26 million to our payroll. Subtracting the signing of Politte and the resigning of Schoeneweis which may not have occured had we resigned everyone, that would put this seasons payroll at approximately 88 million or a 30 million dollar and 51% increase from last season. If we had only resigned Colon at 13 million and non-tendered Schoeneweis, that'd still be an increase of 18 million or 31 % from last seasons payroll.

joecrede
02-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Williams forfeited the abillity to sign Colon when he gave Konerko and Koch their contracts.

MisterB
02-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
This is faulty logic. Compare the Sox rank in revenue compared to the rest of the league and tell me whether they are spending an appropriate amount.

Do you happen to know where the Sox rank in revenue?

skottyj242
02-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Why are we looking at last year's paper?

ericiii
02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
Why are we looking at last year's paper?

Thats what I was wondering.