PDA

View Full Version : WGN and Cubune reporting Maddux will be a Scrub

dpbyron
02-17-2004, 09:01 PM
According to Rich King at the top of the WGN news... Cubs are not commenting.

Report says he will report to Mesa for start of camp...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

RKMeibalane
02-17-2004, 09:10 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/darth.jpg

"I am most displeased by this turn of events."

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Noooooo!!! Now for the huge media love fest and how "this is the way it was supposed to be" ending his career with the cubs

Palehose13
02-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by dpbyron
According to Rich King at the top of the WGN news... Cubs are not commenting.

Report says he will report to Mesa for start of camp...
Since the media has been saying this for awhile now, I am going to chalk this up as pure speculation.

SoxxoS
02-17-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm not pleased, but not to upset, either.

Maddux is a guy that the Sox need, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

RichFitztightly
02-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Maddux is a guy that the Sox need, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

I'm pretty sure you're not implying it, but it's good to note that Maddux wouldn't have come here even if the Sox beat the Cubs in money offered.

balboner
02-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Let the Scrubs have Maddux. The last thing the White Sox needed to do was sign a 38 year old pitcher that averged only 6 innings per start w/a 4 era in the National League, not to mention that he pitched in a pitcher's park. Yes, the Sox need pitching help. Maddux is not, and was never, the answers to the problem.

cheeses_h_rice
02-17-2004, 09:23 PM
And Jerry fiddles while the South Side burns...un****ing real. This is the lowest I've felt as a Sox fan in a LONG time.

SoxxoS
02-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Let the Scrubs have Maddux. The last thing the White Sox needed to do was sign a 38 year old pitcher that averged only 6 innings per start w/a 4 era in the National League, not to mention that he pitched in a pitcher's park. Yes, the Sox need pitching help. Maddux is not, and was never, the answers to the problem.

We need someone to bump whoever our 4th starter is, to the fifth spot, and whoever our 5th starter is going to be, to the bullpen.

I don't care who it is, but I can't deal with a Shoenweis/Cotts 4 and 5 combo.

pudge
02-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
And Jerry fiddles while the South Side burns...un****ing real. This is the lowest I've felt as a Sox fan in a LONG time.

Dude, if Greg "geezer" Maddux depresses you that badly, you need help... if anything, this could hold back one of the Cubs young studs like Cruz. Plus, Houston has a great rotation. Don't fret just yet....

RKMeibalane
02-17-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm not so much worried about the Cubs as I am about the fact that Reinsdorf continues to sit back and do nothing while other teams are improving. The man has said for years that he will spend money if fans come to games. What he has never been able to understand is that nobody wants to support a team that doesn't give a ****.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the HELL OUT!

cheeses_h_rice
02-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Dude, if Greg "geezer" Maddux depresses you that badly, you need help... if anything, this could hold back one of the Cubs young studs like Cruz. Plus, Houston has a great rotation. Don't fret just yet....

It's not JUST Maddux, but just look at what the Flubs have been able to do this offseason, plugging holes a-plenty and completely revamping their lineup. They're in great position to win their division and now have the horses to carry them through the postseason.

Meanwhile, the Sox have......uh.......uh.........oh, that's right, they signed a 35-year-old Japanese closer and got Scott Schoeneweis back. You'll have to excuse me for not having the champagne on ice.

chisoxmike
02-17-2004, 09:31 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nothing will be better than if this blows up in their face come April! Oh the joy we will have.

ghostfacesox
02-17-2004, 09:34 PM
SO what??!!!! They'll still be cellar dwellars come September, regardless Maddux will be more of a circus side show with the Cubs."Oh, poor me (jokingly, after being told that Randy Johnson & Pedro Martinez would make more in 2003 than he would). What do I do now? I guess I'll have to get a second job."-----Greg Maddux

RKMeibalane
02-17-2004, 09:36 PM
It's not JUST Maddux, but just look at what the Flubs have been able to do this offseason, plugging holes a-plenty and completely revamping their lineup. They're in great position to win their division and now have the horses to carry them through the postseason.

Meanwhile, the Sox have......uh.......uh.........oh, that's right, they signed a 35-year-old Japanese closer and got Scott Schoeneweis back. You'll have to excuse me for not having the champagne on ice.

I agree. The Sox need to stop acting like a small-market team. While they do nothing, other teams are finding ways to get better, whether it's by signing free-agents or by making trades. Kenny Williams has done little to improve the ballclub this off-season. I still think the Sox have enough to win their division, but only because the AL Central was already so weak to begin with. Reinsdorf needs to understand that just winning a division title isn't enough for Sox fans. We want to see our team do well in October, not just June or July. That's what real baseball is about.

I don't doubt that JR wants to win. The problem is that he is obsessed with the idea that he must win his way. What he doesn't understand is that it isn't possible to win by pinching pennies and crying poor. Sports are meant to be competitive at all levels- on the field, and in the front-office. Someone needs to remind the Sox administration of this fact.

cheeses_h_rice
02-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I agree. The Sox need to stop acting like a small-market team. While they do nothing, other teams are finding ways to get better, whether it's by signing free-agents or by making trades. Kenny Williams has done little to improve the ballclub this off-season. I still think the Sox have enough to win their division, but only because the AL Central was already so weak to begin with. Reinsdorf needs to understand that just winning a division title isn't enough for Sox fans. We want to see our team do well in October, not just June or July. That's what real baseball is about.

I don't doubt that JR wants to win. The problem is that he is obsessed with the idea that he must win his way. What he doesn't understand is that it isn't possible to win by pinching pennies and crying poor. Sports are meant to be competitive at all levels- on the field, and in the front-office. Someone needs to remind the Sox administration of this fact.

The Sox are going to finish in third place this year, I'm sorry to say. It's not going to be pretty.

OEO Magglio
02-17-2004, 09:40 PM
This offseason continues to get better and better.

RKMeibalane
02-17-2004, 09:42 PM
The Sox are going to finish in third place this year, I'm sorry to say. It's not going to be pretty.

I don't know. A lot will depend on how much players such as Konerko and Koch contribute. I'm not concerned about Frank, Maggs, or Carlos. I expect those three to hit at least one hundred home runs between them. I also expect Buehrle to win at least sixteen games and Loaiza and Garland to have solid seasons.

The Sox need to get off to good start this season, even during the ST games. This team is full of physcologically fragile players, so it's going to make a big difference whether they go into the season with confidence, or if they're just hoping they don't screw things up too badly.

RKMeibalane
02-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
This offseason continues to get better and better.

:reinsy

"Hey, don't start whining about what other teams are doing. It's not like it's going to make any difference once the season starts. Every year is the same. The Yankees win the World Series, Barry Bonds wins the MVP, and the Sox are mediocre. I've discovered that no matter how terrible the team we put on the field is, they're a lock to win eighty one games, and that's good enough for me."

:ohno

"What did we do to deserve this?"

Viva Magglio
02-17-2004, 09:53 PM
The only bad thing about this is that we'll have to hear an explosion of Cubgasms from their fans and the media (one in the same?). Greg Maddux does not put them over the top. They are so stupid that they think they're getting the Greg Maddux that left them 11 years ago. Maddux is on the downside of his career, and days in which the wind is blowing out at Wrigley Field will not be kind to him.

RKMeibalane
02-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The only bad thing about this is that we'll have to hear an explosion of Cubgasms from their fans and the media (one in the same?). Greg Maddux does not put them over the top. They are so stupid that they think they're getting the Greg Maddux that left them 11 years ago. Maddux is on the downside of his career, and days in which the wind is blowing out at Wrigley Field will not be kind to him.

I expect Maddux to win no more than eight games this season. Having said that, I'd much rather have him than Danny Wrong or Neal Cotts.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Yeah, the hard part for Sox fans is having to put up with the Maddux lovefest until the season starts. It'll end if he gets rocked but if he does good.... :chunks

balboner
02-17-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't know how many starts he would have before the series, but let's pray to the heavens that Maddux is not in position to get his 300th win against the White Sox.

inta
02-17-2004, 10:08 PM
The fact that they got maddux alone isn't what's upsetting. it's what it signifies; the cubs are actually acting like the team we never thought they'd be. they've filled every hole and if you think they're "cellar dwellars" or hold to a stupid superstition that they cant win 2 seasons in a row... well then maybe the tide has changed and sox fans are now the sports dummies of town.

on top of this it's a freakin feel good story for the cubs, while Reiney chased away Fisk, and is doing the same to maggz, the cubs bring back a cy young winner to retire where he started.

until jerry starts spending, being a sox fan in this town is going to be like being a marlins fan in the bronx for many many years.

Viva Magglio
02-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Brant Miller on NBC 5 has just announced that the National Weather Service has issued a Flash Flood Warning in the form of Cubbie Kool-Aid.

Look, Greg Maddux is not the Messiah. He does not make the Cubs any better or worse than they are now. Just wait until he gets rocked.

Meanwhile, Julie Swieca is all bent out of shape. She planned to talk about a bunch of things: Sox & Cubs previews, Bulls postgame, etc. But then, after a commercial break, she said that Drew Hayes (Score program director) called her and ordered her show to be "all Maddux all the time." She is not happy.

pearso66
02-17-2004, 10:42 PM
I for one would not want Maddux for the money he is commanding. Especially if he only wins 8 games as RK suggests. How would you want Maddux at 8 wins over Cotts or Wright who could improve or quite possibly win over 8 games. at a very very small fraction of the cost. I don't think Maddux is worth $10 mil a year for 15 wins, but then again, thats me. and if he ends up with less, say $8 mil which i'm guessing is what he will get, thats still too much for a 15 win guy, 3rd starter. We arent even paying our #1 that much. I for one dont care if he's on the Cubs, I'm glad he'll be eating away their money.

MRKARNO
02-17-2004, 10:58 PM

I still think they're going to be in first place and win 91 games

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-17-2004, 11:42 PM
According to ESPN.com, the deal is 3 years for $24 million. Ouch, I'm glad the Sox didn't get him now!
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1737634)

balboner
02-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Wow, the Cubs really overpaid for Maddux. Considering how it seems Boras played the Cubs into bidding against themselves, lets see how the Tribune tries to play this into Hendry being a masterful negotiator.

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by balboner
Wow, the Cubs really overpaid for Maddux. Considering how it seems Boras played the Cubs into bidding against themselves, lets see how the Tribune tries to play this into Hendry being a masterful negotiator.

The third year is not guaranteed.

SergeantMahoney
02-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
According to ESPN.com, the deal is 3 years for $24 million. Ouch, I'm glad the Sox didn't get him now!
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1737634)

But why? I mean, regardless of what player we're talking about, wouldn't you like to see your team pay a little extra to make sure they get who they want rather than penny pinch and never really get anybody? I would love to see the Sox throw a little money around for once.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2004, 12:12 AM
I came across this comment in alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees:

Why all this talk about getting Maddux?
In his 2003 starts he averaged just under 6 innings per game, his ERA was
higher than 2002 which was higher than 2001 and he is giving up more homers
than ever before.
It is just like the Cubs to pick up a guy in the twilight of his career.
Let him go. We don't want him.

doublem23
02-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by SergeantMahoney
But why? I mean, regardless of what player we're talking about, wouldn't you like to see your team pay a little extra to make sure they get who they want rather than penny pinch and never really get anybody? I would love to see the Sox throw a little money around for once.

There's a difference between throwing around money and spending money wisely. I'd prefer the Sox to do the latter.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Yeah, we already have enough people whining about koch and konerko. We don't need another bad contract on the team with maddux turning 38 at the beginning of the season.

depy48
02-18-2004, 12:23 AM
three years 24mil is a lot. granted its greg maddux, but cubs did overpay. boras did a fantastic job.

depy48
02-18-2004, 12:25 AM
i think the maddux signing hurts the cubs chances of signing wood now. maddux is getting 8mil a year for three years and kerry wood is making around 8mil for this season before he potentiall hits free agency. Who's more important Wood or Maddux, i think the Cubs may have just shot themselves in the foot.

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by depy48
i think the maddux signing hurts the cubs chances of signing wood now. maddux is getting 8mil a year for three years and kerry wood is making around 8mil for this season before he potentiall hits free agency. Who's more important Wood or Maddux, i think the Cubs may have just shot themselves in the foot.

depy, The Cubs are going to sign Wood to a 3 or 4 year deal at about 12 mil per season before the season starts. Wood said and I quote-"I'm not going anywhere".

depy48
02-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Northside fan
depy, The Cubs are going to sign Wood to a 3 or 4 year deal at about 12 mil per season before the season starts. Wood said and I quote-"I'm not going anywhere".

ok, so then how reliable is the qoute
it seems to be that colon AND alomar were saying the same thing and where are they now?

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 12:38 AM
ok, so then how reliable is the qoute
it seems to be that colon AND alomar were saying the same thing and where are they now?

I hear ya regarding Colon and Alomar. That said, the situations are VERY different. Wood loves it here, he came up with the team and he and Hendry are pretty close. Hendry has done EVERYTHING he has said he is going to do since he became GM. When he says he is going to lock up Wood, I fully believe him.

depy48
02-18-2004, 12:44 AM
I hear ya regarding Colon and Alomar. That said, the situations are VERY different. Wood loves it here, he came up with the team and he and Hendry are pretty close. Hendry has done EVERYTHING he has said he is going to do since he became GM. When he says he is going to lock up Wood, I fully believe him.

i figure if hendry was looking to lock up wood long term, he would have done it instead of the one year deal. i dont think its a sure-thing that Wood (or as some diehard cub fans call him: Woods ) will be on the northside next year. i can definatly see wood wanting to test the free agent market. I think its too early to predict where Wood will end up. But with Maddux earning more than he should for longer than he should, it might squeeze Wood out of the picture. Texas has some money to throw around next year, Wood just might head home.

HITMEN OF 77
02-18-2004, 12:51 AM
3 year contract, not sure of the money, from ESPN bottom line 10:50PM PST.

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 12:51 AM
i figure if hendry was looking to lock up wood long term, he would have done it instead of the one year deal. i dont think its a sure-thing that Wood (or as some diehard cub fans call him: Woods ) will be on the northside next year. i can definatly see wood wanting to test the free agent market. I think its too early to predict where Wood will end up. But with Maddux earning more than he should for longer than he should, it might squeeze Wood out of the picture. Texas has some money to throw around next year, Wood just might head home.

depy, No one in their right mind would want to play for Hicks and the Rangers. :) Hendry really has NO CHOICE, he has to give Kerry whatever he wants. It's called he will be run out of town if he doesn't.

depy48
02-18-2004, 12:52 AM
3years 24million

i think we have a thread already going about this deal

mdep524
02-18-2004, 12:54 AM

You mean like we did with Jamie Navarro and Albert Belle?

daveeym
02-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Too many posts to read through and maybe somebody touched on this already but here goes, those of you that say screw Maddux don't kid yourself he would have greatly improved the sox. That being said the sox do not have the team to justify signing him regardless of that improvement because of his age, the cost and the length of the contract. While he would greatly improve this team this year, he wouldn't put the sox over the top and thus we'd be stuck with a salary that people would be holding over kw's head in a year or two. Thus in KW's defense, him making one big move this offseason might pacify the naysayers but would really do nothing for the longterm prospects of this team. If he can't fill all or most of the holes on this team why fill one or two and cost us money. Let the boys play and rent someone if they are in the hunt at the trading deadline.

HITMEN OF 77
02-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Opps, didn't read the bottom threads of the last one....I guess this one can get moved. :smile:

depy48
02-18-2004, 01:02 AM
depy, No one in their right mind would want to play for Hicks and the Rangers. :) Hendry really has NO CHOICE, he has to give Kerry whatever he wants. It's called he will be run out of town if he doesn't.

so then, likewise, kenny williams will be run out of town if maggs doesnt resign? Northside fan, open your eyes. Awhile go there was a thread that gave a link. The link basically summarized that you never give a pitcher more than three years in a deal..health concerns and money concerns and what not. So now that Maddux is here for the long run ( 3 years) money will be tight? Am i wrong about that? I mean isnt Sosa a free agent too at the years end? So the Cubs will have divert truckloads of money for Sosa (the trucks will promptly be sent from Sosa's house to his steroid provider). So now the Cubs have to sign Sosa and Wood. And who's Hendry more likely going to sign? I think that its Sosa, just because Sosa is MORE of a fan favorite than Wood. I can see Wood pitching for another team, but i cant see Sosa going anywhere else. Hendry will offer, my opinion, Sosa three years with an option for a fourth year. Sosa makes like 17mil a year now, and i cant see him taking less money. Then lets say that Sosa get 20mil a year for four years. Fine, deals done. Now Wood. Money becomes tighter. Wood is an injury risk, no doubt. So, according to the rule, Hendry offers Wood 3years, who knows how much money he can scrounge together. I think Wood will want more than three years, and more than scrounged money. Now if Maddux's 8mil a year would go towards Wood, yeah Wood would be a lifetime Cub. But the more i think about it, the more i think its likely that Wood will be somewhere else.

depy48
02-18-2004, 01:03 AM
but, then again, what do i know?
i'm just a 19year old college student. god, i love writing term papers :D:

doublem23
02-18-2004, 01:09 AM
DESPERATION

bc2k
02-18-2004, 01:11 AM
The third year is not guaranteed.

Where did you hear that? Would you provide a link?

Going off of memory here, isn't 2004 the final year of Clement's contract? With the signing of Maddux, and Juan Cruz, does that make Clement available now? I can't see the Cubs signing Clement and Wood in the same offseason, so perhaps the Cubs would be open to shaving Chin Whiskers off the team.

I'm not the biggest Clement fan, but the Sox could use a decent #4 starter who gives around 200 innings. Vic, how are the Cubs on lefty relievers? Maybe the Sox could trade Schoeneweis for Clement?

EDIT: Isn't Prior arbitration eligible after the '04 season?

Bisco Stu
02-18-2004, 01:20 AM
Hopefully, "Mad Dog" (huh? he looks more like a studious owl) will suck in the playoffs as he usually does.

doublem23
02-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Hopefully, "Mad Dog" (huh? he looks more like a studious owl) will suck in the playoffs as he usually does.

If by suck in the play-offs you mean, go golfing becuase he ain't gonna be there.

mdep524
02-18-2004, 02:22 AM
I mean isnt Sosa a free agent too at the years end? So the Cubs will have divert truckloads of money for Sosa (the trucks will promptly be sent from Sosa's house to his steroid provider). So now the Cubs have to sign Sosa and Wood. And who's Hendry more likely going to sign? I think that its Sosa, just because Sosa is MORE of a fan favorite than Wood. I can see Wood pitching for another team, but i cant see Sosa going anywhere else. Hendry will offer, my opinion, Sosa three years with an option for a fourth year. Sosa makes like 17mil a year now, and i cant see him taking less money. Then lets say that Sosa get 20mil a year for four years.

I don't know about the whole Wood debate you guys are having, but I have a feeling that Hendry isn't as enamored with Sosa as you say. I think there are at least a few voices in the organization that realize the Cubs might be better off without him. IIRC, Sosa had some kind of escape clause in his contract after '03 and he really wanted to test the free agent waters but decided he was happiest as a Cub (read: no one else in their right mind this side of Tom Hicks would pay him more than he was getting with the Cubs). I don't think Hendry would have been heartbroken if Sosa walked, he'd've been salivating over the different ways he could use that money.

From an ownership statndpoint and on a PR level-- those are different issues. But I don't think Hendry would necesarily choose Sosa over Wood long term. This will be a big year for Sam-Me Sosa to prove himself: can he lead his team into the post season? Is he getting over the hill?

But no matter how it comes down, there is absolutely NO way in hell the Cubs will be paying him $20 million when he becomes a FA again. I think he is signed through '05 at $17 million, (which is going to make him horribly overpaid) with a team option for '06 at $18 mil or a buy out.

Vsahajpal
02-18-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Where did you hear that? Would you provide a link?

Going off of memory here, isn't 2004 the final year of Clement's contract? With the signing of Maddux, and Juan Cruz, does that make Clement available now? I can't see the Cubs signing Clement and Wood in the same offseason, so perhaps the Cubs would be open to shaving Chin Whiskers off the team.

I'm not the biggest Clement fan, but the Sox could use a decent #4 starter who gives around 200 innings. Vic, how are the Cubs on lefty relievers? Maybe the Sox could trade Schoeneweis for Clement?

EDIT: Isn't Prior arbitration eligible after the '04 season?

Cubs can void the final year of Mad Dog's contract if he doesn't reach a given amount of innings, next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-cubs-maddux&prov=ap&type=lgns

Clement is a free agent after this season, likely he's gone. I doubt they trade him unless they're out of the race early.

Wood is NOT going anywhere, he will sign an extension this year (be it tomorrow, June 27th, or in November).

I can't imagine them dealing Clement for a mediocre lefty reliever.

Prior can (and most likely will) void the rest of his contract after 2004, and opt for arbitration. You're correct.

bc2k
02-18-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Cubs can void the final year of Mad Dog's contract if he doesn't reach a given amount of innings, next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-cubs-maddux&prov=ap&type=lgns

Clement is a free agent after this season, likely he's gone. I doubt they trade him unless they're out of the race early.

Wood is NOT going anywhere, he will sign an extension this year (be it tomorrow, June 27th, or in November).

I can't imagine them dealing Clement for a mediocre lefty reliever.

Prior can (and most likely will) void the rest of his contract after 2004, and opt for arbitration. You're correct.

You answered every one of my questions. Thank you.

Maybe Schoeneweis isn't enough for Clement, but I'd still like the Sox to pursue Clement. The link doesn't work; do you know the specific number of innings Maddux needs to reach next year?

EDIT: Found the link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-cubs-maddux&prov=ap&type=lgns), but it said Maddux had to pitch a specific number of innings in 2005, not '04. The article didn't mention the exact number of innings he must reach.

EDIT 2: Okay, these tards at Yahoo won't let us link. I'm sure your original link was accurate, as mine is above, but Yahoo doesn't allow us to link for some reason.

This is the only piece of the article that may not be known elsewhere: The third year of the deal will be guaranteed if Maddux reaches certain criteria, including pitching a preset number of innings in 2005.

ode to veeck
02-18-2004, 07:00 AM
could be in camp by wed (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=545&ncid=755&e=1&u=/ap/20040218/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_cubs_maddux)

Not confirmed yet, but sounds like there's only a physical standing in the way of Maddux' return as a Flub

ode to veeck
02-18-2004, 07:33 AM
don't know how many starts he would have before the series, but let's pray to the heavens that Maddux is not in position to get his 300th win against the White Sox.

Why not, it would be nice to shut him down a couple of times at 299

SergeantMahoney
02-18-2004, 12:13 PM

The Score just reported that Wood and Derrick Lee would be signed to contract extensions in the next couple of days.

Northside fan
02-18-2004, 12:17 PM
The Score just reported that Wood and Derrick Lee would be signed to contract extensions in the next couple of days.

Like I said, Wood is not going anywhere. Neither is Lee.

KingXerxes
02-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I have to give the Cubs front office a lot of credit. If they have in fact wrapped up Wood and Lee - they are soing it exactly as I would.

Sosa is as good as gone when his contract is up, and that frees up $20 million or so. Alou frees up some money as well at the end of this year. If they continue to play well, and are able to expand the seating capacity of the outfield, I can see them being competitive in the free agent market next year as well. My guess is that they will lock-up Prior before it ever comes to him testing the free agent market.

They seemingly have a plan (from a financial and baseball perspective).