PDA

View Full Version : Division's Best

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Street and Smith's rates the best in the following categories in the Central.

Clutch hitter- Carlos Lee

Pure athlete- Carlos Beltran/Tori Hunter

Glove Man- Angel Berroa

Big-game pitcher- Johan Santana

Bench strategist- Joe Nossek

Outfield arm- Tori Hunter

Teammate- Ozzie Guillen (gives explanantion that his personality wll make him seem more like a teammate- which is portrayed in positive light you nay sayers. :smile: )

Sense of humor- Corey Koskie

Intellect- Omar Vizquel (baseball sense)

GM- Allard Baird- KC

KingXerxes
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Teammate- Ozzie Guillen (gives explanantion that his personality wll make him seem more like a teammate- which is portrayed in positive light you nay sayers. :smile: )

That explains why player-managers are so prevalent these days.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
That explains why player-managers are so prevalent these days. Ahh my first pessimist, lol-jk. It is yet to be determined how his style of management in particular will work out, but besides the Thomas dilemma- which is valid, sure- the players in general are excited to have him. I still rate this is as a positive until proved otherwise.

KingXerxes
02-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Ahh my first pessimist, lol-jk. It is yet to be determined how his style of management in particular will work out, but besides the Thomas dilemma- which is valid, sure- the players in general are excited to have him. I still rate this is as a positive until proved otherwise.

Feel free to rate it any way you wish, but also let me know your criteria for having the matter "proven otherwise".

I think the hiring of Guillen and his subsequent managing poses the threat of turning this franchise into an absolute three ring circus. While I hope that doesn't happen I admit that the very real possibility exists.

I'm not so sure that my position is one of pessimism versus a position of guarded realism.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Feel free to rate it any way you wish, but also let me know your criteria for having the matter "proven otherwise".

I think the hiring of Guillen and his subsequent managing poses the threat of turning this franchise into an absolute three ring circus. While I hope that doesn't happen I admit that the very real possibility exists.

I'm not so sure that my position is one of pessimism versus a position of guarded realism. I was just joking with you, I didn't mean anything by it. I want to say though that possible threat of turning this into a three ring circus by having Guillen as manager, has the same possibility of having this team turned into a winner. Maybe a Pena with more surrounding talent. I'm just saying we could make assumptions of anybody, even if it was Gaston in here. It just so happens to be Guillen. I like him and I look for big things to happen as a result of him being here. However, I recognize the legitimate concerns of that not being the case.

KingXerxes
02-18-2004, 10:56 AM
SEALgep - I don't want to beat a dead horse because it is obvious that you and I do not agree on Guillen - the season will certainly tell, and I hope you're right.

That all being said, this constant comparison between Ozzie Guillen and Tony Pena doesn't hold any water whatsoever with me. When Pena played, he was an absolute field general from behind the plate - I used to love to watch him because he was so absolutely involved. Ozzie Guillen was not.

I don't think their personalities are even remotely close.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 11:01 AM
SEALgep - I don't want to beat a dead horse because it is obvious that you and I do not agree on Guillen - the season will certainly tell, and I hope you're right.

That all being said, this constant comparison between Ozzie Guillen and Tony Pena doesn't hold any water whatsoever with me. When Pena played, he was an absolute field general from behind the plate - I used to love to watch him because he was so absolutely involved. Ozzie Guillen was not.

I don't think their personalities are even remotely close. You're right, they are completely different. The only comparison that I meant to use, and I failed to be clear, is the intensity that they can generate into a ball club. It's certainly a different style, but I meant they can generate similar results.

Randar68
02-18-2004, 11:02 AM
I was just joking with you, I didn't mean anything by it. I want to say though that possible threat of turning this into a three ring circus by having Guillen as manager, has the same possibility of having this team turned into a winner. Maybe a Pena with more surrounding talent. I'm just saying we could make assumptions of anybody, even if it was Gaston in here. It just so happens to be Guillen. I like him and I look for big things to happen as a result of him being here. However, I recognize the legitimate concerns of that not being the case.

The gripe with Ozzie and the hiring in general is this:

1) There is a very real chance of a thermol-nuclear clubhouse if they hired Ozzie
2) There were qualified and viable candidates out there that did not present that possibility, but the Sox were too damn cheap.

It may work out, it might not. I hope everything is perfect, that Frank and Ozzie become best friends, etc etc. But if this results in the Sox trading Frank (and don't let them tell you it's $$$ if they do), then I'm all but finished with this franchise.

SEALgep
02-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
The gripe with Ozzie and the hiring in general is this:

1) There is a very real chance of a thermol-nuclear clubhouse if they hired Ozzie
2) There were qualified and viable candidates out there that did not present that possibility, but the Sox were too damn cheap.

It may work out, it might not. I hope everything is perfect, that Frank and Ozzie become best friends, etc etc. But if this results in the Sox trading Frank (and don't let them tell you it's $$$ if they do), then I'm all but finished with this franchise. Oh I think it's clear that this isn't about money, but is this Guillen's fault. Frank probably came to this decision based on Guillen's hiring, not his statement. You know, I like Frank and I don't want to trade him, but I'm getting sick of all these needless, non-baseball related controversey's. Whether it's Frank's fault or not, he isn't being very compromising.