PDA

View Full Version : Yankmee lux tax + rev sharing= sox payroll

Paulwny
02-17-2004, 03:27 PM
From Newsday:

New York has four of baseball's eight $100 million players, and its opening-day payroll will be six times that of some teams. Yankees president Randy Levine pointed out that the Yankees paid $50 million in revenue sharing last year and another $12 million in luxury taxes.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
From Newsday:

New York has four of baseball's eight $100 million players, and its opening-day payroll will be six times that of some teams. Yankees president Randy Levine pointed out that the Yankees paid $50 million in revenue sharing last year and another $12 million in luxury taxes. Their ball club also makes $300 million a year, it's an unfair comparison. We need to market our ball club better, no doubt about it, but the Yankees organization is unique to all sports- not just baseball teams.

Paulwny
02-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Their ball club also makes $300 million a year, it's an unfair comparison. We need to market our ball club better, no doubt about it, but the Yankees organization is unique to all sports- not just baseball teams.

They will pay an even larger amt. of lux tax and rev sharing this year. When added to a ~ $200 mil payroll plus all the other expenses involved in running a mlb team, front office, scouts, minor leagues, etc, you're looking at ~ $ 280- $290 mil for the year. King George plows quite a bit of the profits back into his organization.

KingXerxes
02-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
They will pay an even larger amt. of lux tax and rev sharing this year. When added to a ~ $200 mil payroll plus all the other expenses involved in running a mlb team, front office, scouts, minor leagues, etc, you're looking at ~ $ 280- $290 mil for the year. King George plows quite a bit of the profits back into his organization.

I would assume he has no debt to cover.

Paulwny
02-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I would assume he has no debt to cover.

You're probably correct, I'll see what I can find.

faneidde
02-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Sportscenter just had a piece on the Yankees that said if they make the playoffs this year, they'll likely make money. Also, some analysts estimate the franchise is worth 1 Billion Dollars.

jcirish85
02-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Just a little side note to all the sox fans who are always complaining about payroll, in todays trib, it said the Sox were 12th in the majors in payroll. Now I know the Sox aren't 12th in attendance. Just something to think about.

Paulwny
02-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
Sportscenter just had a piece on the Yankees that said if they make the playoffs this year, they'll likely make money. Also, some analysts estimate the franchise is worth 1 Billion Dollars.

I believe that the YES Netwok is considered part of the franchise and the $1 bil.

ChiSox65
02-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by jcirish85
Just a little side note to all the sox fans who are always complaining about payroll, in todays trib, it said the Sox were 12th in the majors in payroll. Now I know the Sox aren't 12th in attendance. Just something to think about.

Well, the Dodgers just sold for $430 million and they have no where near the history of championships and TV contracts. Give Stienbrenner credit, he took over a crappy Yankee franchise in early 70's and made it what it is. The Mets play in NY and haven't done it. I wish we had a REAL owner..........hello JERRY?

jcirish85
02-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox65
Well, the Dodgers just sold for $430 million and they have no where near the history of championships and TV contracts. Give Stienbrenner credit, he took over a crappy Yankee franchise in early 70's and made it what it is. The Mets play in NY and haven't done it. I wish we had a REAL owner..........hello JERRY?

I'm not defending Jerry. What I want to say is that you can put a very good team together for 65 million dollars. The amount of money being put into this team is not the problem, it is the management. I am tired of hearing people talk about how Jerry doesn't put any money into this team. The Oakland A's have gone to the playoffs for the past 4 years and they haven't spent any money. You just have to know how to spend the money. Another thing, no one should be saying the season is over because 1. The red sox are still a very good baseball team 2. anything can happen in a short series in October 3. The Yankees starting staff isn't as solidified as everyone thinks it to be.

ChiSox65
02-17-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm not defending Jerry. What I want to say is that you can put a very good team together for 65 million dollars. The amount of money being put into this team is not the problem, it is the management. I am tired of hearing people talk about how Jerry doesn't put any money into this team. The Oakland A's have gone to the playoffs for the past 4 years and they haven't spent any money. You just have to know how to spend the money. Another thing, no one should be saying the season is over because 1. The red sox are still a very good baseball team 2. anything can happen in a short series in October 3. The Yankees starting staff isn't as solidified as everyone thinks it to be.

I didn't say the Yankees are going to win the world series, they haven't in 3 years. What I am saying is, I would like an owner who really wants to win a championship. We are the 3rd largest market in the US., and we are spending like the Twins and Royals, this is the best he can do?.........run this team like a small market team?.........we have our share of homegrown talent, now lets put on the finishing touches and win this VERY winnable division then as you say ....anything can happen in the playoffs.
Lets get there.

jcirish85
02-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox65
I didn't say the Yankees are going to win the world series, they haven't in 3 years. What I am saying is, I would like an owner who really wants to win a championship. We are the 3rd largest market in the US., and we are spending like the Twins and Royals, this is the best he can do?.........run this team like a small market team?.........we have our share of homegrown talent, now lets put on the finishing touches and win this VERY winnable division then as you say ....anything can happen in the playoffs.
Lets get there.

I agree the owner is cheap, but the owner gets too much blame. He deserves a lot of the blame, but he shouldn't be getting as much as he is getting. Kenny Williams is the one who deserves the most blame. One thing I can't stand about Kenny Williams is that he says it such a risk to sign guys to contracts longer than 3 years, but he trades for Koch after Koch has a career high in innings pitched. isn't that a red flag? Its a risk to sign Colon to 4 years when he has been on the DL once? if he was at all? Jerry has given Kenny an adequate amount of $ to put a division winner on the field. Maybe he should give him more money, but Kenny should be able to get the job done with that amount of money. Another thing, Ozzie Guillen was a HUGE reason why the Sox failed to attract free agents this year, another reason to blame management. At least that's the reason Scott Sullivan left.

ChiSox65
02-17-2004, 09:10 PM
I agree the owner is cheap, but the owner gets too much blame. He deserves a lot of the blame, but he shouldn't be getting as much as he is getting. Kenny Williams is the one who deserves the most blame. One thing I can't stand about Kenny Williams is that he says it such a risk to sign guys to contracts longer than 3 years, but he trades for Koch after Koch has a career high in innings pitched. isn't that a red flag? Its a risk to sign Colon to 4 years when he has been on the DL once? if he was at all? Jerry has given Kenny an adequate amount of $ to put a division winner on the field. Maybe he should give him more money, but Kenny should be able to get the job done with that amount of money. Another thing, Ozzie Guillen was a HUGE reason why the Sox failed to attract free agents this year, another reason to blame management. At least that's the reason Scott Sullivan left.

I think you have this backwards..........It's Jerry's rule that no pitchers get more than 3 yr. contracts. Note: Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez and Colon. Kenny went out last year on a limited budget and got Colon, Alomar and Everett to give them a chance. It all starts at the top. Ahem.......Mr. Jerry needs to step up.