PDA

View Full Version : This Year's Draft Picks

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I received this email from a spokesman at www.futuresox.com after my inquiry about this year's draft and what picks we have.

The White Sox will be receiving additional draft picks for losing Colon and Gordon. Here is how the picks will pan out.

The Sox will get:

33rd overall (Supplemental Pick): For the loss of Bartolo Colon

39th overall (Supplemental Pick): For the loss of Tom Gordon

52nd overall (From the Angels): For the loss of Bartolo Colon

68th overall (From the Yankees): For the loss of Tom Gordon

These means the Sox will have 3 1st round picks (I think they pick around 18th or 19th this year) and then they have 3 2nd round selections, so with 6 picks in the first two rounds they have an opportunity to really build the farm system up. And after what looks like a tremendous draft this past season, it could really be the 2nd part of the foundation that brings this farm system back into high graces.

It will definitely be interesting. As the draft gets closer, we値l have at least a few pieces highlighting some possible higher rounds picks of the Sox and once the draft is over we値l get up a full breakdown of everyone the Sox took.

And now that you bring it up, I値l try and remember to ocassionally make some posts on college players that are lighting it up. I知 not all that familiar on high school players though, since its really hard to see their stats and read stories on them.

Tekijawa
02-17-2004, 01:31 PM
I say they draft 4 secondbasemen... we'd have to be able to get something out of the group then...

chisoxfan79
02-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I agree that this is the chance to build up the farm system, but why did the Sox reassign doug lahman after he has had three strong drafts and put Duanne Schaffer back in that spot where he was for ten years because by looking at his drafts how many first rounders of his made to the majors two?

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfan79
I agree that this is the chance to build up the farm system, but why did the Sox reassign doug lahman after he has had three strong drafts and put Duanne Schaffer back in that spot where he was for ten years because by looking at his drafts how many first rounders of his made to the majors two? I'm not sure, but they have a new Scouting Director in Dave Wilder. Maybe it was his call, but either way, I believe the picks will go through him. I've heard he is pretty good at identifying talent, so let's hope to reap the benefits of some good, solid, can't miss picks.

SoxxoS
02-17-2004, 02:29 PM
We should draft 4 middle infielders in a row.

jeremyb1
02-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
These means the Sox will have 3 1st round picks (I think they pick around 18th or 19th this year) and then they have 3 2nd round selections, so with 6 picks in the first two rounds they have an opportunity to really build the farm system up. And after what looks like a tremendous draft this past season, it could really be the 2nd part of the foundation that brings this farm system back into high graces.

It will definitely be interesting. As the draft gets closer, we値l have at least a few pieces highlighting some possible higher rounds picks of the Sox and once the draft is over we値l get up a full breakdown of everyone the Sox took.

And now that you bring it up, I値l try and remember to ocassionally make some posts on college players that are lighting it up. I知 not all that familiar on high school players though, since its really hard to see their stats and read stories on them.

The key is going to be the degree to which Jerry allows the team to spend on signing bonuses. We're reportedly a good 5 million over what our payroll budget was supposed to be, hopefully that doesn't lead to skimping on the draft picks. You could see a lot of overdrafts if the budget is small.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
We should draft 4 middle infielders in a row. I just want to draft the best players available at the moment of the pick. There is a lot of good talent out there every year, but this year looks to be especially good to me. Last year we used some of our higher picks to draft some quality outfielders. We already have some depth in that department, although I'm sure we'll draft a lot of outfielders, I imagine the bulk of their early picks will be infield position players and pitching. I am just trying to point out that though that I want best players available, not best infielders necessarily. I'm sure we'll get a mixture, which is probably best. You can never have enough pitching, and with injuries throughout the system (especially with how our luck has been working out), the better off we'll be with guys squeezing through to be very good MLB pitchers.

Rocklive99
02-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Is there a list of eligible players with stats and such online?

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
The key is going to be the degree to which Jerry allows the team to spend on signing bonuses. We're reportedly a good 5 million over what our payroll budget was supposed to be, hopefully that doesn't lead to skimping on the draft picks. You could see a lot of overdrafts if the budget is small. That's a good point, but I don't believe JR is as cheap as people make him out to be, but I don't want that arguable point to stand out from what I want to address. Our ball club is setup to gain the majority of our talent through our own system, as opposed to the Yankees who primarily use FA because they can afford to do so. But the majority of our stars are home grown-even if we didn't necessarily draft them (Maggs, Lee, Thomas, Buerhle, Crede, Olivo.) With that said, I believe JR would okay the spending of draft picks, assuming they are worth while, which otherwise we wouldn't use a high pick. Minnesota didn't pick Prior because of money, but it was widely known that he was going to have MLB success. My opinion of JR, is that he is willing to okay draft money for the guys who are a lock, like Prior. Remember, we signed our top 12 picks of last years draft. That's not bad, and a couple of them were said to be tough signs as well, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much, unless the player was asking for unreasonable money for what his talent is sought to be. They usually get an early indication though of what it is going to take, and drafting college seniors helps too.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
Is there a list of eligible players with stats and such online? I'm sure, but I don't know of one in particular. There is a baseball magazine-forgot the name lol- that has a break down of all teams, and it also includes in the back of the better college players as of now, from last years results. I'm actually going to get it today, so I'll let you know the name of it, and I will also post some of the information on it, because it has very good detail about all the teams (including a little of what some of their rookies can be making an appearance- ours is Reed.)

poorme
02-17-2004, 03:04 PM
I think we should draft some Scott Boras players and then not sign them just to show Boras who's boss.....oh, wait, we already tried that.

jeremyb1
02-17-2004, 03:25 PM
That's a good point, but I don't believe JR is as cheap as people make him out to be, but I don't want that arguable point to stand out from what I want to address. Our ball club is setup to gain the majority of our talent through our own system, as opposed to the Yankees who primarily use FA because they can afford to do so. But the majority of our stars are home grown-even if we didn't necessarily draft them (Maggs, Lee, Thomas, Buerhle, Crede, Olivo.) With that said, I believe JR would okay the spending of draft picks, assuming they are worth while, which otherwise we wouldn't use a high pick. Minnesota didn't pick Prior because of money, but it was widely known that he was going to have MLB success. My opinion of JR, is that he is willing to okay draft money for the guys who are a lock, like Prior. Remember, we signed our top 12 picks of last years draft. That's not bad, and a couple of them were said to be tough signs as well, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much, unless the player was asking for unreasonable money for what his talent is sought to be. They usually get an early indication though of what it is going to take, and drafting college seniors helps too.

All in all you're probably right but we ussually have a fixed budget and its never big by any means with the possible exception of the Borchard signing. Last year I recall BA insinuating we'd overdrafted a few guys after taking Sweeney because he would cost more money than most players drafted in the second round. Someone like Valido, although he's looked real good so far and may be a great pick, was at least partially drafted due to signability.

Randar68
02-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
All in all you're probably right but we ussually have a fixed budget and its never big by any means with the possible exception of the Borchard signing. Last year I recall BA insinuating we'd overdrafted a few guys after taking Sweeney because he would cost more money than most players drafted in the second round. Someone like Valido, although he's looked real good so far and may be a great pick, was at least partially drafted due to signability.

Frankly, if it means signing all your top 10 round picks every year, I'm fine with them taking guys up to 1 or 2 rounds early (outside of their first couple picks)...

The past couple years, the Sox have had mid-to-late picks in each round, thus, have been able to use that money to spread out over more of the early picks than just a couple key targets...

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I just got a copy of Street and Smith's Baseball magazine, and wow. We have some interesting possibilities in how we use these picks. It doesn't include what highschool kids aren't going to sign and are for sure going to college, but assuming at least some of them are signable, there are a lot of different directions we can go, especially with all the college studs too.

Frater Perdurabo
02-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I too agree with in principle of drafting "the best player available" on the board. However, that strategy is not as iron-clad as it is with the NFL or NBA drafts because of the relatively long developmental process of minor league baseball (compared to the NFL and NBA, where draft picks either make the "big league" team or are cut). Players in their first year of pro sports will have an impact in the NFL and NBA. But when was the last time a star college or high school kid had an IMMEDIATE impact on an MLB team, like a LeBron James.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I too agree with in principle of drafting "the best player available" on the board. However, that strategy is not as iron-clad as it is with the NFL or NBA drafts because of the relatively long developmental process of minor league baseball (compared to the NFL and NBA, where draft picks either make the "big league" team or are cut). Players in their first year of pro sports will have an impact in the NFL and NBA. But when was the last time a star college or high school kid had an IMMEDIATE impact on an MLB team, like a LeBron James. True, my point is only that there are some players that you have little doubt will develop sooner than most and will make an impact in a year or two. And I was just saying under the scenerio of a good solid SS prospect that will need at least several years of development versus a pitcher known to already have the tools and talent to be a successful pitcher and just needs a year or two to refine his skills to major league hitting, then probably take the pitcher.

Champ Summers
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
"But when was the last time a star college or high school kid had an IMMEDIATE impact on an MLB team, like a LeBron James."

That's an interesting one. A lot of players have had very minimal service time in the minors before making an impact in the bigs. A-Rod spent a year and a half in the minors as a hiogh school draftee, and i believe he may have been injured for a portion of it. John Olerud never played a day in the minors out of college. Obviously Prior moved quickly, taking a half-year to get to the bigs. If anything, I think that might be more impressive than in the NFL, where there isn't much of a precedent for coming out earlier than your Junior year, or basketball, where most of the high schoolers do not have the impact that the teams are paying them for. Don't get me wrong, baseball is full of busts, I just think that the difficulty of ascending the 7 or 8 ranks of the minors at such a young age requires major adjustments for 18 year-olds, to say nothing of the foreign born players who can be signed at 16, and have to acclimate themselves to a new culture...

rahulsekhar
02-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I'd be in favor of drafting almost exclusively pitchers. The way baseball economics and this organization work, I think we'll need to focus on having a couple of young studs pan out at once to have a realistic shot at a WS. If there's real value to be had at a position, go for it, but when in ANY doubt - go for a pitcher with high upside.

KingXerxes
02-17-2004, 04:21 PM
It's good to hear from Champ Summers - a man who had Motown all abuzz in the late 70's.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
"But when was the last time a star college or high school kid had an IMMEDIATE impact on an MLB team, like a LeBron James."

That's an interesting one. A lot of players have had very minimal service time in the minors before making an impact in the bigs. A-Rod spent a year and a half in the minors as a hiogh school draftee, and i believe he may have been injured for a portion of it. John Olerud never played a day in the minors out of college. Obviously Prior moved quickly, taking a half-year to get to the bigs. If anything, I think that might be more impressive than in the NFL, where there isn't much of a precedent for coming out earlier than your Junior year, or basketball, where most of the high schoolers do not have the impact that the teams are paying them for. Don't get me wrong, baseball is full of busts, I just think that the difficulty of ascending the 7 or 8 ranks of the minors at such a young age requires major adjustments for 18 year-olds, to say nothing of the foreign born players who can be signed at 16, and have to acclimate themselves to a new culture... Oh you're totally right. There are obvious exceptions like Prior, or even rarer A-Rod coming pretty much out of highschool, but it certainly happens. When I said a guy who can make an impact in a year or two, I pretty much meant a college grad pick who has used four years to develop, not necessarily a highschool pick. But I agree in full that it isn't wise to rush guys who show promise, and even more so if they can steadily brought along. I just meant, because there are always players where the minors are more of an adjustment for a players mentality than a refinement in skills, and have every indication that if they maintain the skills they have previously showed, that they could certainly be in the majors in a year or two. I was trying to point out that if there is a player like that as a pitcher, I would take him rather than a project infield prospect, because another post mentioned using every pick for the infield.

poorme
02-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
I'd be in favor of drafting almost exclusively pitchers.

I disagree strongly. Pitchers are always getting hurt. Unless the guy is ready to be in the big leagues within a year or so.

Frater Perdurabo
02-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Hasn't Oakland done well drafting college pitchers -- Hudson, Mulder, Zito?

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I disagree strongly. Pitchers are always getting hurt. Unless the guy is ready to be in the big leagues within a year or so. Not all pitchers, but he meant unless a guy has true value, draft a pitcher. If you're drafting a question mark-going to be very good or a big disappointment- you might as well take a chance on the pitcher. I agree with that for our current position. I want to point out though, that because pitchers get hurt, that is why you would want to draft an abundant of them. You need pitching, and if you have many and some get hurt, you should still have a good amount that can make it the major league level and be productive. If you have a few and some of them get hurt, that will hurt our farm system more than anything, as we've experienced on a minor level. People have had complaints on here as to why we have no pitching because they are getting hurt, which happens, it's just bad luck. But if we have twice as many pitchers, assuming they are all of similar talent, we have a higher chance of producing good healthy pitchers. And if the majority stays healthy, then you have the luxury of choosing the best of the group with insurance guys or trade bait.

poorme
02-17-2004, 04:40 PM
How many guys have we picked that have been total wastes?

stumm
christman
parque
ruffcorn
seay
kane
ginter
myette

there's probably a dozen more...

Nick@Nite
02-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Didn't Bob Horner go straight from ASU to the bigs? I really like Crede, but we could use a Bob Horner clone at 3B right about now, with all that offensive production... but without the strikeouts... and without bad wheels... and without the iron glove... and without the weight problems... and...

oh well... :(:

poorme
02-17-2004, 04:45 PM
horner wasn't a strikeout man, a lazy bum though.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 04:47 PM

stumm
christman
parque
ruffcorn
seay
kane
ginter
myette

there's probably a dozen more... Who? Lol, but you can have a similar list of position players that many of us never even knew existed. If they were locks you wouldn't even have a minor league system, but by drafting those players and others, you get a guy like Buerhle as well. Some will pan out and others won't, but that is the reason to draft many, and hope a few of them are diamonds in the rough.

poorme
02-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Baseball America conducted a nice study within the last year or so, examining the likelihood of different sorts of draft picks making an impact at the major league level. There was a lot of info there, but the main conclusion was that college players were much more likely to make it than high schoolers, and position players were more likely to make it than pitchers.

lowesox
02-17-2004, 04:57 PM

stumm
christman
parque
ruffcorn
seay
kane
ginter
myette

there's probably a dozen more...

Just for the sake of argument, Ginter still could become a good serviceable relief pitcher and Parque was good for a year or two.

poorme
02-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Hasn't Oakland done well drafting college pitchers -- Hudson, Mulder, Zito?

Yes, they have. It just shows you how hard it is to do what they did.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Baseball America conducted a nice study within the last year or so, examining the likelihood of different sorts of draft picks making an impact at the major league level. There was a lot of info there, but the main conclusion was that college players were much more likely to make it than high schoolers, and position players were more likely to make it than pitchers. That may be, but there are also more positions than spots filled by pitchers, but besides that point, you still have to look at each player individually. You don't want to pass over the next A-Rod just because he's a highschooler, which is where A-Rod was drafted from. Ideally though, your early picks will be college players, with some legitimate exceptions. That seems to be the norm within the draft, and is probably a reason they have a better success rate, and why the better players go to college.

poorme
02-17-2004, 05:25 PM
They looked at percentages, not absolute numbers. I agree that if you are picking in the top 5, take the best guy...Dwight Gooden, Mark Prior, Brien Taylor, Matt Anderson.....

MarkEdward
02-17-2004, 06:05 PM

Baseball America's latest issue (with the AL Central prospects) has an early draft preview. They have nothing about the draft on their site yet, however.

If we're looking for middle infielders, Eric Patterson of Georgia Tech may be available at the 18th pick. I'd also like to see the Sox take Landon Powell with one of the supplemental picks (if he even lasts that long). It's probably way too early to speculate, though.

Daver
02-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
I'd be in favor of drafting almost exclusively pitchers. The way baseball economics and this organization work, I think we'll need to focus on having a couple of young studs pan out at once to have a realistic shot at a WS. If there's real value to be had at a position, go for it, but when in ANY doubt - go for a pitcher with high upside.

Yeah,that strategy worked great for Ron Schueler throughout the 90's.

doctor30th
02-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I actually would lean just to draft the best player available. I mean does a first round draft pick really mean much anymore.

Rex Hudler
02-17-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure, but they have a new Scouting Director in Dave Wilder. Maybe it was his call, but either way, I believe the picks will go through him. I've heard he is pretty good at identifying talent, so let's hope to reap the benefits of some good, solid, can't miss picks.

Just for clarification, Wilder is the Director of Player Development (Farm Director), not the Scouting Director. Wilder will be responsible for the players after they have been drafted and signed and are in the system.

Also, the Sox have one first round pick and two sandwich picks, which are technically between the first and second rounds, but not true first round picks. They do indeed have three second round picks.

This will be a good opportunity for the Sox to reload with some depth they have lost in recent years. The budget will be a concern, so they will have to keep signability in mind when drafting a guy.

I believe they need to focus on drafting guys that can play the game rather than projects or toolsy guys. A perfect example of that is Jeremy Reed. Many thought the Sox overdrafted Reed because he lacked some of the tools teams look for. The bottom line is he was a baseball player first and that has shown in his performance. More than likely they will take a combination of safe picks and picks that are a little riskier but have a high upside. It is easier to take chances when you have this many picks.

Lastly, Baseball America does a very good job at providing draft info. Their Draft Preview is very comprehensive. To get most of the information, you have to subscribe, however. I think it is like $48 for a year to subscribe online only. A little higher for the print edition, which also gives you online access.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 09:10 PM
These guys are probably going to be top 3 picks, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. However, check out their numbers.

Billy Becher, Sr. 1B, New Mexico State (.420-32HR-118RBI)

Jeff Niemann, Jr. RHP, Rice (17-0, 156 K's- 35BB-137.1 innings-1.70 ERA)

Rex Hudler
02-17-2004, 09:20 PM
These guys are probably going to be top 3 picks, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. However, check out their numbers.

Billy Becher, Sr. 1B, New Mexico State (.420-32HR-118RBI)

Jeff Niemann, Jr. RHP, Rice (17-0, 156 K's- 35BB-137.1 innings-1.70 ERA)

Rice has three pitchers that will likely go in the first round. Another one is Philip Humber and Wade Townsend. Another pitcher that will likely go high is Vanderbilt LH Jeremy Sowers.

A lot of things will change between now and the draft. A whole college and HS season has to be played.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Rice has three pitchers that will likely go in the first round. Another one is Philip Humber and Wade Townsend. Another pitcher that will likely go high is Vanderbilt LH Jeremy Sowers.

A lot of things will change between now and the draft. A whole college and HS season has to be played. That's very true, I just wanted to throw a couple names out there. I don't think all those Rice guys are seniors, but I'm not sure if that would prevent them from signing or not. If they're going first round, I don't see why they wouldn't, we'll just have to see. Is the draft in early June?

Chisoxfn
02-18-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfan79
I agree that this is the chance to build up the farm system, but why did the Sox reassign doug lahman after he has had three strong drafts and put Duanne Schaffer back in that spot where he was for ten years because by looking at his drafts how many first rounders of his made to the majors two?

Supposedly there were some disagreements in the front office in the way Lahman (not sure if the spelling is right) handled players. If I recall it had to do with a few players being discplined. I know there was a good article about it a while back. Just too fuzzy on the details.

The Sox also loss Bob Fontaine to the Angels, which will be a big loss as Fontaine was very good at player development and such and will be a big part of the Mariners sucess (As will Bavasi).

But when many people laughed at the Wilder hiring, I must point to the fact that the Brewers farm system is though by many to be the best in baseball and I think Wilder will bring some big time pluses to the White Sox and may turn into an excellent hire.

This entire draft will be interesting. Its too bad the Sox won't be in a position to draft Weaver, but there may be a pretty damn good college pitcher that ends up falling to them (I know this draft is pretty deep with college pitching, which would definately be a nice fit for the Sox).

I do think the Sox will be more thrifty in the draft and they will have to be careful they go for players that will sign, since they will have more picks then usual. Over the years The Sox have done a solid job at researching and figuring out players signability.

Of course they weren't able to get Veal, Moviel or Hodges this draft but they were able to gauge Ryan Sweeney's interest and I think all Sox fans have to be incredibly excited he's a part of this organization cause he has potential and upside written all over him.

Chisoxfn
02-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Pretty much everyone is eligible for the draft and it is 50 rounds, plus sandwich picks, so there isn't really anywhere that you can get info on all the guys beforehand, although baseballamerica is a good research on college playesr and Futuresox will do a few draft previews as well as a draft review :D:

Weaver in my mind (Long Beach State) is the best pitcher in the country, although Rice has some aces as well. This draft is strong on college pitching and then Corey Patterson's brother and a few other infielders are pretty darn good as well.

Things will slot out much better later in the season.

Chisoxfn
02-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Baseball America's latest issue (with the AL Central prospects) has an early draft preview. They have nothing about the draft on their site yet, however.

If we're looking for middle infielders, Eric Patterson of Georgia Tech may be available at the 18th pick. I'd also like to see the Sox take Landon Powell with one of the supplemental picks (if he even lasts that long). It's probably way too early to speculate, though.

Powell will probably be there around then, but your right, you got to wait and see if the guys are healthy at the end of the season.

Patterson has to work on his hitting, but he could be a legit possibility, although I think the Sox are going to have a pitching heavy draft.

If Clement (USC's catcher falls to the Sox in the comp rounds, they better not pass up on him). I do think a catcher will be taken early cause the Sox have absolutely nothing in the system, with the exception to Matt Deuchler (No one thinks very highly of the guy, but I think he could turn into a backup catcher, but the Sox have no one with starting potential, imo).

Chisoxfn
02-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler

A lot of things will change between now and the draft. A whole college and HS season has to be played.
For whatever reason, I see Sowers coming close to the Sox because he isn't a "hard thrower". Sowers is a hell of a pitcher though and if the Sox somehow got him, wowzers is all I have to say.

But once again, Weaver and Niememahn (excuse the spelling) are absolute studs, so are Rice's other guys, but I think those two go 1-2 in the draft.

gosox41
02-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I say they draft 4 secondbasemen... we'd have to be able to get something out of the group then...

I'm looking forward to taking more left handed relievers to be drafted in the first round.

Bob