PDA

View Full Version : Cubs vs Sox?

Cubsfan
02-17-2004, 12:41 PM
I live in Niles MI, about a 2-2 1/2 hour drive into Chicago. I'm 41 and when I first got interested in watching baseball the Cubs were the better team. There is a tendency for people in my age bracket in this area to be Cubs fans. I have younger friends, say in the 32 to 36 range, and they tend to be Sox fans. It tends to coincide well with when the Cubs were a white team (let Madlock go and traded Thornton) swinging for the fences while the Sox actually had a baseball team. It's not surprising that even kids just becoming interested in baseball would notice the difference and be attracted to an actual team. Aside from parental influence, the quality of the team when first interested in watching games seems to be the biggest influence in which team is preferred.

Anyone else notice this?

Fridaythe13thJason
02-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I don't know if the geographical differences make as much of a difference anymore. Certainly, there are more Sox fans on the South Side, and more Cubs fans on the North side, but not sure if that's the deciding factor.

For me, it was team quality. As a kid, my whole family were Cub fans, but I was weak as a baseball fan. I just paid attention to what they did. As I grew into liking baseball, I was more attracted to the White Sox. I grew up about a mile from Wrigley as well, so I was certainly on the North Side.

SSN721
02-17-2004, 01:02 PM
I grew up in the NW burbs and my fathers family is from Melrose Park, so geographically, we should be Sox fans, but my whole fathers line has always been huge Sox fans. I think it was half going to games with my father and really getting into the team in the early 90s that solidified my loyalty to the White Sox. I guess I just hate the free ride the Cubs always seem to get so even when I was really young that turned me off to the Cubs. Just loved the players and the team when I was growing up, even thought they werent always good.

rdivaldi
02-17-2004, 01:03 PM
It tends to coincide well with when the Cubs were a white team

????

I don't really understand what this has to do with anything...

KingXerxes
02-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Cubsfan
I live in Niles MI, about a 2-2 1/2 hour drive into Chicago.

Ahhhhhhhh Niles, Michigan - hometown of one of the all-time greats........Ring Lardner.

Seems like just yesterday when F. Scott, the lovely Zelda and Ringoold were sitting around the Palace Hotel drinking some bathtub gin after a Yankee game.

"The Lackawanna Railroad - where does it go? It goes from Jersey City to Buffalo."

Maximo
02-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Your question takes me back to my youth. The first time I ever became interested in major League baseball was the summer of 1959........ a year that continues to live in infamy with most Sox fans. I very simply became a fan because the Sox were fighting for a pennant.

Strange thing.......growing up in the South Bend, Indiana, area at that time.......I never realized there was another team in Chicago until a year or two later. I knew there was a National League, but I didn't know the Cubs were in it.

However, as I became more knowledgable about the game, I soon realized that most of the other guys in my neighborhood were Cubs fans. Why?......it's beyond me because every time I checked the standings after that, the Sox were always chasing the Yankees for first place and the Cubs were usually in the cellar in their own league. Yet......all of these guys spent all of their time knocking the Sox and praising the Cubs. It continued through high school (1969 will forever hold a special place in my heart) and has continued ever since.

I've been a Sox fan and a Cub hater since that time.

I still live in the Michiana area and this place is loaded with Cub fans. Don't know why, but when Reinsdorf pulled the Sox class A affiliate out of South Bend several years ago....it sure as hell didn't help the Sox cause around here.

Frater Perdurabo
02-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
????

Don't underestimate the power of prejudice/racism. A relative of mine can't stand basketball because "there are too many <epithet deleted>." Another relative who happens to be a Packers fan said he would stop watching the Packers if and when they have a black QB. :(:

I don't think my family is an extreme case, either, as they don't burn crosses or practice lynchings.

My point is that there are plenty of people who base their sports allegiances based on skin color and their racial attitudes. :?:

Brian26
02-17-2004, 01:36 PM
I was actually a Cubs fan for the first couple of years I can remember watching baseball, primarily because I would come home from school in the afternoon, and the Cubs game would be on. Back in the late 70's, in the days of Dave Kingman, Rick Reuschel, Mick Kelleher, Bobby Molinaro, Lynn McGlothen, Wille Hernandez, Bruce Sutter, and Ivan DeJesus. I think the Sox just weren't available to me because a.) they played mostly night games and b.) they were on UHF Channel 44, which was almost impossible to get reception on. Sometime in 1980 or '81, I fully switched allegiances to the Sox. The Cubs had lost something like 13 games in a row, and I decided to give Chet Lemon, Bernazard, and LeFlore my baseball loyalty. The rest is history. 24 years later, still no pennant on either side of town.

Cubsfan
02-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Maximo
Your question takes me back to my youth. The first time I ever became interested in major League baseball was the summer of 1959........ a year that continues to live in infamy with most Sox fans. I very simply became a fan because the Sox were fighting for a pennant.

Strange thing.......growing up in the South Bend, Indiana, area at that time.......I never realized there was another team in Chicago until a year or two later. I knew there was a National League, but I didn't know the Cubs were in it.

However, as I became more knowledgable about the game, I soon realized that most of the other guys in my neighborhood were Cubs fans. Why?......it's beyond me because every time I checked the standings after that, the Sox were always chasing the Yankees for first place and the Cubs were usually in the cellar in their own league. Yet......all of these guys spent all of their time knocking the Sox and praising the Cubs. It continued through high school (1969 will forever hold a special place in my heart) and has continued ever since.

I've been a Sox fan and a Cub hater since that time.

I still live in the Michiana area and this place is loaded with Cub fans. Don't know why, but when Reinsdorf pulled the Sox class A affiliate out of South Bend several years ago....it sure as hell didn't help the Sox cause around here.

The Cubs always had the edge with WGN vs Field (?s) Communications and day vs night. PM me and maybe we can hook up at Indian Lake Tavern and talk some Chicago Baseball.

Lip Man 1
02-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Don't underestimate the effect of SportsVision and the fact that the Sox pulled their games off free TV for a number of years.

A whole generation around the country (thanks to Superstation WGN) became Cub fans because of it.

Meanwhile SportsVision was a disaster and was sold two years later to Bill Dolan and Cablevision.

Lip

Cubsfan
02-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Don't underestimate the power of prejudice/racism. A relative of mine can't stand basketball because "there are too many <epithet deleted>." Another relative who happens to be a Packers fan said he would stop watching the Packers if and when they have a black QB. :(:

I don't think my family is an extreme case, either, as they don't burn crosses or practice lynchings.

My point is that there are plenty of people who base their sports allegiances based on skin color and their racial attitudes. :?:

That's what I was dancing around. I mean, the Cubs "fans" like to say "since Ron Santo". ? Madlock won two battle titles in three years with the Cubs and they refused to pay him. So he when to Pittsburgh, won two more titles and a ring. While the Wrigley owned Cubs paid more money for Bobby Mercer. I was so PO'd that I tried to watch the Sox. They also had some young guys over at first. Thornton was clearly the best but they traded him and kept Bittner and LaC o ck.

With idiotic moves like that it's no wonder guys who came of age at that time became Sox fans, inspite of their TV/schedule disadvantages.

Maximo
02-17-2004, 02:29 PM
The Cubs always had the edge with WGN vs Field (?s) Communications and day vs night. PM me and maybe we can hook up at Indian Lake Tavern and talk some Chicago Baseball.

Sounds good.....we'll do that sometime.

If we hit Indian Lake on a Friday night for karoke.......we'll bring down the House.

I'm thinking........"Stairway to Heaven" or "Fortunate Son".
lol

Cubsfan
02-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Maximo
Sounds good.....we'll do that sometime.

If we hit Indian Lake on a Friday night for karoke.......we'll bring down the House.

I'm thinking........"Stairway to Heaven" or "Fortunate Son".
lol

Didn't know they had karoke. I've only been in Sumnerville for 7 years. Personally, I'm looking forward to OTI adding smelt to the menu for the season.

rcescato
02-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Unfortunatley for me I was born in 64 so I was not really around for the 59 or the great 60's races with the Yankees. I do remember everyone hating the Yankees even though at that time I did not know why. In the 70s especially early 70s I remember
we sucked. Ed Herman as our catcher and Wilbur Wood as a pitcher. I grew up a Sox for for 2 reasons. I lived in Tinley Park
and my dad grew up off 63rd and Normandy. So our whole family grew up at Comiskey including all my brothers and sisters. The sisters have defected alittle bit but my brothers are still die hards.
The day I really grew up hating the Cubs was when in 8th grade
when my teacher asked the class for a field trip if they wanted to
go to a cubs game or sox game. They voted for the flubs boy was I steamed. Here on the southside they wanted to see them.
So we sat in cold and empty Wrigley field 10 rows from the dugout on the 3rd base side and watched Dave Kingman launch 2 homers that day. The girl I was hot for was a flub fan so i had to make her happy anyway. Thats my story i still hate the cubs and always will. I have season tix in the first 2 rows in section 100 on the right field side of the batters eye.
GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!!!!
Rich

minastirith67
02-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Didn't know they had karoke. I've only been in Sumnerville for 7 years. Personally, I'm looking forward to OTI adding smelt to the menu for the season.

There's Cubs fans on this board? Actually, I would rather like having rival fan's opinions on this board. Would make for some interesting and diverse ideas, at least in theory. Works well at redcafe.net anyway.

doublem23
02-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by minastirith67
There's Cubs fans on this board? Actually, I would rather like having rival fan's opinions on this board. Would make for some interesting and diverse ideas, at least in theory. Works well at redcafe.net anyway.

Excluding the trolls who've been eliminated, we have about 3 or 4 civil Cub fans posting on our boards.

Bisco Stu
02-18-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
????

Flubs have a history of being racist, Sox a history of being progressive (I won't say 'liberal' cause that's a bad word).

doublem23
02-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Flubs have a history of being racist, Sox a history of being progressive (I won't say 'liberal' cause that's a bad word).

Can of worms, opened.

DSpivack
02-18-2004, 03:44 AM
Being just 19, my memories are quite recent.

But going back to whichever team is successful, I think that definetely played a part in which team I became a fan of.

My family is pretty well stocked with Cubs fans and when I was very little I went to many Cubs games.

One game- just one game- brought my eyes to the Sox. Game 6 of the 1993 ALCS. I didn't become a full blooded Sox fan then that I am today, but that certainly was the turning point.

Growing up on the Big [and Little] Hurt, guys like Warren Newson, Mike LaValliere, Ellis Burks, Alex Fernandez, Roberto Hernandez, Dan Pasqua; heck, even the one year wonders of John Kruk and Jose Canseco. By high school- just five years ago- I was hooked. Maggs, Paulie, Foulke, El Caballo, Jose- damn, the Sox were/ are just so much cooler [for lack of a better word] than the Cubs.

Of course, the strike, the white flag trade, and the dissapointments since 2000 haven't turned my eyes away from the Sox, just turned my attitude into bitter dissapointment and pessimism.

Kittle
02-18-2004, 03:55 AM

The Cubs' ability to promote their team nationally (via WGN) and the fallout from '94 are the most signifcant factors, IMO.

Bisco Stu
02-18-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Can of worms, opened.

Nah, I addressed that months ago.

ode to veeck
02-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Kittle,

Welcome to WSI! Also don't underestimate (as Lip pointed out) the TV blunders by the Sox, 1st the move to WFLD when almost no one had access to it, then later to Sportsvision which was a dismal failure. Yeah the Cubs got superstation fans built across the country as cable took off in the 70s and 80s, but the Sox had buried themselveds PR-wise by missing the boat.

Kittle
02-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Also don't underestimate (as Lip pointed out) the TV blunders by the Sox, 1st the move to WFLD when almost no one had access to it, then later to Sportsvision which was a dismal failure. Yeah the Cubs got superstation fans built across the country as cable took off in the 70s and 80s, but the Sox had buried themselveds PR-wise by missing the boat.

Yeah, I witnessed all of that in my youth. Most of the games moved from Channel 32 to Sportsvision and my parents didn't have cable at the time. To add insult to injury, that pissed off Harry enough that he quit and moved to the North Side.

Stupid fu@*$$%$%$ Reinsdorf and Einhorn! :angry:

Hangar18
02-18-2004, 11:05 AM
There are a lot MORE cub fans, for the simple reason, they have made sure the CUBS stay in the news, get EXTRA Media Coverage, and Get Hyped all the time. If you do this for a number of years, your going to see what you see right now.
A cub town all giddy when anything happens. It is Extremely unfortunate, because now the SOX will have to Overcome this, with years and years of their own Media Coverage, which now wont happen unless they Win It ALL. They wont win it all because they WONT SPEND, unlike the cubs who just threw all kinds of money around, but hey, it pretty much gives them a Very Good shot at going somewhere. Wait....Eddie Einhorn said he wouldnt be happy if the SOX were winning Championships and spending a lot of $$$$ doing so........*sigh*