PDA

View Full Version : Mets fans interviewed on ESPN2 this morning.

chisoxmike
02-17-2004, 08:16 AM
ESPN 2 has this morning show "Cold Pizza" and today they interviewed two Mets fans and they were being asked about what it's like to live in New York in a "Yankees" town.

They drew many parallels to what it's like here in Chicago. One of the guys said "They need to worry about their team (the Mets) and not care about how the Yankees have the bigger payroll.

Just thought it was interesting.

SSN721
02-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Its kinda hard for them to really whine too, I mean, isn't their payroll like 110-120 million?

Hullett_Fan
02-17-2004, 11:09 AM
The Met's don't compare to the Sox...their franchise is in much better shape. They went to a World Series 4 years ago and have won 2 World Series since the Sox were last in one. So have the Marlins for that matter. God this team sucks!

Foulke You
02-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
The Met's don't compare to the Sox...their franchise is in much better shape. They went to a World Series 4 years ago and have won 2 World Series since the Sox were last in one. So have the Marlins for that matter. God this team sucks!

I would agree that the Mets have had more success than the Sox and more recent success for that matter (World Series and NLCS appearances, etc.) but right now, the White Sox franchise is a whole lot healthier than the Mets. The Mets are an absolute train reck. They have made a whole slew of bad contract decisions in the last few years that they have been saddled with like Roger Cedeno, Mike Piazza, Roberto Alomar, Mo Vaughn, Jeremy Burnitz, etc. Their payroll has burst at the seams and their team has finished dead last. At least the Sox were in the playoff race until the last week and a half of the season and finished with a respectable 86 wins.

munchman33
02-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I would agree that the Mets have had more success than the Sox and more recent success for that matter (World Series and NLCS appearances, etc.) but right now, the White Sox franchise is a whole lot healthier than the Mets. The Mets are an absolute train reck. They have made a whole slew of bad contract decisions in the last few years that they have been saddled with like Roger Cedeno, Mike Piazza, Roberto Alomar, Mo Vaughn, Jeremy Burnitz, etc. Their payroll has burst at the seams and their team has finished dead last. At least the Sox were in the playoff race until the last week and a half of the season and finished with a respectable 86 wins.

And we're in the mix for our division title. The Mets are a lock to finish last in that N.L. East.

CubKilla
02-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by munchman33
And we're in the mix for our division title. The Mets are a lock to finish last in that N.L. East.

Only because of the division we're in.

Palehose13
02-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

It depends on what comparison is being made. If the comparison is that they are the "second team" in one of the largest cities in the US, then the comparison is right on. I have a friend who moved here last year from NY and she is a die-hard Mets fan. Her hate for the Yankees runs as deep as mine for the cubs. She also complains about the media bias in NY towards the Yankees. On the other hand, the media bias towards the Yanks may be justified being that they (as much as I hate it) are the most successful ballclub in MLB history, while the cubs are the opposite. I think that gives us more of a reason to be upset, especially since the Sox TEND to have a better record than the cubs year after year.

poorme
02-17-2004, 11:40 AM
well, there are similarities, but I think the mets have a stronger fan base than we do. plus a lot more money to play with.

Hullett_Fan
02-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I would agree that the Mets have had more success than the Sox and more recent success for that matter (World Series and NLCS appearances, etc.) but right now, the White Sox franchise is a whole lot healthier than the Mets. The Mets are an absolute train reck. They have made a whole slew of bad contract decisions in the last few years that they have been saddled with like Roger Cedeno, Mike Piazza, Roberto Alomar, Mo Vaughn, Jeremy Burnitz, etc. ...

Agree that they took on some bad contracts, though so have we (Konerko, Koch).

The difference is that they have some up and coming stars (wiggington, reyes, kaz, phillips, seo).

And they picked up 2 guys that we should have : Cameron and Looper.

So maybe the Mets and Sox are even...but the Sox are definitely not 'a whole lot better'. The Mets middle infield (reyes, kaz, cameron and piazza/phillips) runs circles around ours.

MRKARNO
02-17-2004, 03:26 PM
The mets have also had two "miralcles" which lead them to WS wins in 1969 and the famous game 6 of 1986

SoxFan76
02-17-2004, 05:15 PM
There's no way the hate between Mets and Yankees fans can be compared to Cubs-Sox. The Yankees deserve the media bias. They are the most successful franchise in American sports history. They continually put good teams on the field, while the Mets have over 100 million to spend, and still finish last in their division. The Cubs, well they suck. They always have sucked. 95 percent of the time the Sox are a better team too. Everything Cub fans love about the team (Harey Caray, 7th inning stretch) was taken from the Sox. The field is known as the best in baseball, when in fact it is one of the worst. (Not THE worst, good Lord Twins and Drays have crappy stadiums.) Mets fans don't know real pain until they are a Sox fan in Chicago.

Palehose13
02-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
There's no way the hate between Mets and Yankees fans can be compared to Cubs-Sox. The Yankees deserve the media bias. They are the most successful franchise in American sports history. They continually put good teams on the field, while the Mets have over 100 million to spend, and still finish last in their division. The Cubs, well they suck. They always have sucked. 95 percent of the time the Sox are a better team too. Everything Cub fans love about the team (Harey Caray, 7th inning stretch) was taken from the Sox. The field is known as the best in baseball, when in fact it is one of the worst. (Not THE worst, good Lord Twins and Drays have crappy stadiums.) Mets fans don't know real pain until they are a Sox fan in Chicago.
I agree with you, but the hatred of the yankees by the mets fan runs just as deep as ours for the flubs. When my above mentioned friend and I were talking baseball upon our first meeting, I asked her which team (Brewers, Sox, cubs) she would support now that she is living in the midwest (Not that she will stop loving the mets). She said most likely the cubs. I couldn't believe it after I heard about how much she hated the yankees and why. I then explained much of what you explained above and I think I changed her mind. :smile: