PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Reed-A Young Rafael Palmerio

Happy Felsch Fan
02-16-2004, 10:35 PM
The Jeremy Reed era starts this spring. When is the last time we had a prospect LIKE A YOUNG RAFAEL PALMERIO:

From Baseball America: Phil Rodgers
Strengths: Reed can really hit. He not only has a simple stroke that allows him to make contact almost at will but he also has a terrific eye for the strike zone. He walked nearly twice as much as he struck out in 2003. Wally Backman, his manager at Birmingham, says Reed has such an advanced ability to anticipate pitches that he sometimes helps teammates prepare for at-bats. Like a young Rafael Palmeiro, Reed uses the whole park with his line-drive stroke and should develop more power in time, though heíll generate a lot more doubles than homers. Heíll probably max out at 15-20 homers annually. Reed runs well and has a natural aggressiveness that allows him to stretch hits into an extra base. He has become an average center fielder and should get better with more experience there. His arm is average, and he could possibly play right field if he canít stick in center.

Weaknesses: Reedís aggressiveness occasionally turns into recklessness. He needs to pick his spots better as a basestealer after getting caught in 13 of 31 attempts in Double-A. If he proves unable to handle center field, he wonít have the home run power typical of a corner outfielder. Reed sprained his right wrist while with the U.S. qualifying team, but heís expected to be fine by spring training.

The Future: Reed is on the fast track to Chicago. Heíll go to big league camp as a nonroster invitee, and the White Sox donít have a clear-cut center fielder. Several club officials would like to see Reed get a full season at Triple-A Charlotte, however, and heíll likely open the season playing alongside Joe Borchard there. With Magglio Ordonez one year away from free agency, itís conceivable both Reed and Borchard will be regulars in 2005.

TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG
Winston-Salem (Hi A) 65 222 37 74 18 1 4 52 41 17 27 .333 .431 .477
Birmingham (AA) 66 242 51 99 17 3 7 43 29 19 18 .409 .474 .591

Rex Hudler
02-16-2004, 10:42 PM
That's funny........ my dentist, who is a big baseball guy, made the Rafael Palmeiro comparison back in December. Think Rogers is coming to Birmingham for dental work?? :)

pudge
02-17-2004, 03:11 AM
Those of you who follow minor leaguers regularly, how messed up could Reed get if he were to make the roster this season? Is a full year at Triple-A that important in your mind? I tend to think good hitters are different than good pitchers in that they will succeed no matter the level. Then again, Jeff Abbott never worked out that way...

Dadawg_77
02-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Man I thought he was banging some other player's wife.

Dadawg_77
02-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Those of you who follow minor leaguers regularly, how messed up could Reed get if he were to make the roster this season? Is a full year at Triple-A that important in your mind? I tend to think good hitters are different than good pitchers in that they will succeed no matter the level. Then again, Jeff Abbott never worked out that way...

True, but didn't Frank come up straight from AA?

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Man I thought he was banging some other player's wife. Palmeiro did, Sandberg's ex-wife (wife at the time), and it messed with Ryne's career for a couple years as well. I'm a Sox fan, but I grew up as Ryno as my favorite player, and I still think Palmeiro is an idiot. I don't agree with having an affair to begin with, but to do it to your teammate. You have to be a scum bag, and his ex-wife certainly played her role as well. She is regarded as a slut, and it isn't just from this particular incident.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
True, but didn't Frank come up straight from AA? But Reed hasn't really had a season in AA. He came up for only a segment of the season. If we need him, he'll be able to play, but it probably would be better to give him an additional year in the minors. Who knows, if he is tearing it up again, I'm sure we will see an appearance, if only for a little while.

Frater Perdurabo
02-17-2004, 09:04 AM
I don't care what position Reed plays -- even if it is DH -- as long as he keeps taking walks, hits well for average and doubles and has a high OBP with some speed. This is exactly the kind of player the homer-happy right-handed-heavy Sox need in their lineup. I don't want him rushed, but if he demonstrates an ability to succeed at the MLB level and wins a job on the Opening Day roster, then more power to him.

StepsInSC
02-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Irregardless of what happens, its nice to see some positive info for a change. This is a great thread to read before my classes begin today! Thanks!

poorme
02-17-2004, 09:36 AM
I think we should keep Reed in the minors for 6 years, so we don't damage his fragile psyche.

Randar68
02-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Irregardless of what happens, its nice to see some positive info for a change. This is a great thread to read before my classes begin today! Thanks!

Sorry, pet peeve. "Irregardless" is not a word.

Randar68
02-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I don't care what position Reed plays -- even if it is DH -- as long as he keeps taking walks, hits well for average and doubles and has a high OBP with some speed. This is exactly the kind of player the homer-happy right-handed-heavy Sox need in their lineup. I don't want him rushed, but if he demonstrates an ability to succeed at the MLB level and wins a job on the Opening Day roster, then more power to him.

Agreed.

Randar68
02-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
The Jeremy Reed era starts this spring. When is the last time we had a prospect LIKE A YOUNG RAFAEL PALMERIO:

This is exactly why people in every sport should be prohibited from comparing young players to veterans and HOF'ers. How many Willie Mays' or Dick Butkus' have there been in the past 30 years???

sas1974
02-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Palmeiro did, Sandberg's ex-wife (wife at the time), and it messed with Ryne's career for a couple years as well. I'm a Sox fan, but I grew up as Ryno as my favorite player, and I still think Palmeiro is an idiot. I don't agree with having an affair to begin with, but to do it to your teammate. You have to be a scum bag, and his ex-wife certainly played her role as well. She is regarded as a slut, and it isn't just from this particular incident.

I remember hearing a rumor that Maddux was involved up w/ Ryno's wife and that was one of the reasons that the Cubs didn't try harder to keep him. Maybe I just got my stories mixed up.

sas1974
02-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

Exactly!

Randar68
02-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
I remember hearing a rumor that Maddux was involved up w/ Ryno's wife and that was one of the reasons that the Cubs didn't try harder to keep him. Maybe I just got my stories mixed up.

The only ones that I can confirm are Raffy and Dave Martinez(99% certain).

poorme
02-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
The only ones that I can confirm are Raffy and Dave Martinez(99% certain).

wait, you mean with Ryno's wife, right?

Randar68
02-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by poorme
wait, you mean with Ryno's wife, right?

yep.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-17-2004, 10:29 AM
This thread was supposed to be about the most exciting left handed bat the Sox have brought up since Robin Ventura, not about who banged what other players wife, especially since Reed has not had to bang any wife on the major league level yet.

Who else here is excited about seeing what he does this spring?

Happy Felsch Fan
02-17-2004, 10:32 AM
I will be going to ST next month and am anxious to see Reed in action.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 10:34 AM
This thread was supposed to be about the most exciting left handed bat the Sox have brought up since Robin Ventura, not about who banged what other players wife, especially since Reed has not had to bang any wife on the major league level yet.

Who else here is excited about seeing what he does this spring? Are you saying Reed is going to bang Sandberg's wife?

Jjav829
02-17-2004, 10:37 AM

I am definitely excited about seeing who...I mean what he does this spring. :D:

Happy Felsch Fan
02-17-2004, 10:37 AM
All I am saying is that if given the opportunity, Reed could bang Ryno's wife from the left side.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I am definitely excited about seeing who...I mean what he does this spring. :D: Me too, I'm excited for ST for many reasons, but I certainly am going to take full advantage of seeing what Reed can do. I'm most likely going to Phoenix and catching some of the Sox away games up there.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 10:39 AM
All I am saying is that if given the opportunity, Reed could bang Ryno's wife from the left side. Lol :smile:

Happy Felsch Fan
02-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Seal,

Likewise I am going to Phoenix and will catch the Sox there, against the Angels I think.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Seal,

Likewise I am going to Phoenix and will catch the Sox there, against the Angels I think. Right on, that's the week I am planning on. I am hoping to somehow come by tickets to the Cubs/Sox game the 13th, but it is unlikely I'm sure. But I want to go to the Angels game and the Oakland game at least while I'm there. We'll see.

Dadawg_77
02-17-2004, 11:10 AM

See just how far a thread can go when someone makes a jack ass coment just trying to add a little humor.

Happy Felsch Fan
02-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Its all in fun Dadawg, sometimes it really does too intense around here. I am pumped up about Jeremy Reed even though I have never seen him. Just imagine a .400 on base guy ahead of Thomas,Ordonez,Lee and think of the runs.

Dadawg_77
02-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Its all in fun Dadawg, sometimes it really does too intense around here. I am pumped up about Jeremy Reed even though I have never seen him. Just imagine a .400 on base guy ahead of Thomas,Ordonez,Lee and think of the runs.

lol, I was the one who made the original jackass comment.

soxrme
02-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Right on, that's the week I am planning on. I am hoping to somehow come by tickets to the Cubs/Sox game the 13th, but it is unlikely I'm sure. But I want to go to the Angels game and the Oakland game at least while I'm there. We'll see.

Game on 13th sold out but you can buy tickets on the street leading up to Stadium. Lots of guys selling tickets there.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Game on 13th sold out but you can buy tickets on the street leading up to Stadium. Lots of guys selling tickets there. That's what I figured, but maybe I'll do that. Thanks.

jeremyb1
02-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I think we should keep Reed in the minors for 6 years, so we don't damage his fragile psyche.

Hahaha. Well put.