PDA

View Full Version : Maddux to Yankees?

dpbyron
02-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Giangreco just cited a report from NY that quotes a source saying Maddux will sign with the Yankees....

This is ridiculous.

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 10:32 PM
I don't think Maddux wants to pitch for the American League.

mdep524
02-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Not that I think he will sign with the Yankees (I still think he is Cub bound :(: ), but some of the ARod-to-the-Yankees news articles mentioned that the trade came after Scott Boras talked to the Yanks about "another player." Immediately I thought that player was Maddux.

serena
02-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Brian Cashman said on a conference call of reporters that the Yankees were not involved with Maddux.

I'm not sure whether that makes it more or less likely to happen!
:D:

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Man, if this happens I hope he signs for enough so that it'll break the $200,000,000 mark. I think the yankees payroll stands in the $190,000,000s

beckett21
02-16-2004, 10:40 PM
I was saying this yesterday. I don't see how this is so surprising. Isn't anyone paying attention? :?:

Of course they will get Maddux.

Lip Man 1
02-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Rich King on the WGN-TV Sports tonight said the Dodgers have made Maddux an offer and that he'll decide between the two clubs as early as tomorrow.

Lip

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-16-2004, 10:45 PM
per espn bottom line that it will happen now

DrCrawdad
02-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
per espn bottom line that it will happen now

Just to clarify, do you mean Maddux to the Yankees?

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
ABC TV is reporting it. Man, another one we almost had gets away!

Kuzman
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
i think i would rather see maddux in pin stripes then back on the north side.

DrCrawdad
02-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Jeez I've been hearing for the last couple months, "...reports say that Maddux will sign with the Cubs in a week..." Then that week passes and there is another report from a reputable source saying how Maddux will sign in X period of time with the Cubs. In fact just today Cubbie baseball reporter Bruce LeVine-Line said that Maddux will be signing with the Cubs with a press conference on Wednesday.

I'm torn between wanting Maddux to sign with the Cubbies and then hoping to see him get torched. On the other hand, watching Maddux spurn the Cubs a second time would be hilarious. The crying and whinning from the Cubbie fans will be priceless.

RichFitztightly
02-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Kuzman
i think i would rather see maddux in pin stripes then back on the north side.

I agree, but it's just sickening if the Yankees get Maddux. Hopefully this is just another one of Boras's media games to get a better deal for the guy. I'd personally like to see Greg-aroo go to L.A.

Rex Hudler
02-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Yankees 'not involved' with Maddux (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040216&content_id=637885&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 10:56 PM
I don't think Maddux wants to pitch for the American League

I stand corrected. Stupid espn bottom line.

munchman33
02-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Julie Swika on the score reported this about an hour ago, and she said her source was a very reliable source within the Yankee organization.

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Near the end of the Sportcenter broadcast they said they were negotiating still. It will be interesting to see how much he gets from the yanks, probably 9-10 mil.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Breaking News
Yankees: Is Maddux Next?
Are the rich going to get ridiculously richer? Reports are circulating that the Yankees will sign free-agent pitcher Greg Maddux this week. But earlier Monday, GM Brian Cashman denied any interest in the 289-game winner.

-- ESPN.com breaking news

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 11:14 PM
I wonder if they are still going to sign travis lee to be thier backup first baseman.

depy48
02-16-2004, 11:14 PM
rotoworld.com has the maddux signing too
what the heck? i am shocked

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Yankees are having the A-rod press conference tomorrow at 11 am CST. It would be a hell of a press conference if they were able to introduce Maddux too.

akingamongstmen
02-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Yankees are having the A-rod press conference tomorrow at 11 am CST. It would be a hell of a press conference if they were able to introduce Maddux too.

It would make me sick to my stomach. At this point, rooting for the Yankees in any way is akin to rooting for a millionaire to win the lottery. It just makes me sick. :angry:

kittle42
02-16-2004, 11:35 PM
If the Yankees do this, they are probably off my hate list for a while.

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 11:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1736923

They sound pretty darn serious

beckett21
02-17-2004, 12:07 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=316201#post316201

Not to brag, folks...(hey if I happen to be right it may be the first and last time so I better milk it for all it's worth!)
Check the time/day stamp...the news was broken here first! :D:

GOC
02-17-2004, 12:21 AM
It will infuriate cubs fans and I doubt Maddux would be the pivitol player in the White Sox / YAnkees series anyway .

Also , I really like the picture of Maddux on Rexs' link . He looks like he lost a fight with a bottle of Johhny Walker .

Kuzman
02-17-2004, 12:24 AM
nice prediction!

like ive said before.. as much as i hate em, Go Yankess! Haul in Maddux!

hellenicsoxfan
02-17-2004, 01:35 AM
I just hope Maddux signs somewhere soon. I'm sick of hearing all the talk on radio and TV about him. All I've heard for the last month is Cubbie fans saying, "When we get Maddux, we'll be favored to win the World Series!" As much as I hate the Yankees, I would prefer to see Maddux sign with Dodgers or Giants. But if Maddux signs with LA, SF or NYY instead of Cubs, all we'll hear on the radio is Cubbie fans moaning how Maddux is a bum, Maddux is too old, Maddux owed the Cub fans, how dare Maddux not sign with the Cubs, etc. There isn't a bigger group of whiners in baseball than the Cubs and their fans. This will get them going good.

SEALgep
02-17-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I wonder if they are still going to sign travis lee to be thier backup first baseman. I honestly believe he is waiting to see if the Sox trade Konerko or not. If he can start for the Sox, he would probably prefer to do so rather than being a backup in NY. Although, that is pure speculation. He may very well be waiting to sign with the Yanks to be considered their top offseason addition, and wants to save the best for last. Or it could be just some minor hold up. But the fact that this deal shouldn't be taken this long, my guess is he is waiting to the last minute in order to give it one final shot to see if their are any takers who will be willing to give him the starting job. We shall see, but as I said before, I am speculating.

StillMissOzzie
02-17-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Jeez I've been hearing for the last couple months, "...reports say that Maddux will sign with the Cubs in a week..." Then that week passes and there is another report from a reputable source saying how Maddux will sign in X period of time with the Cubs. In fact just today Cubbie baseball reporter Bruce LeVine-Line said that Maddux will be signing with the Cubs with a press conference on Wednesday.

I'm torn between wanting Maddux to sign with the Cubbies and then hoping to see him get torched. On the other hand, watching Maddux spurn the Cubs a second time would be hilarious. The crying and whinning from the Cubbie fans will be priceless.

I feel your pain, Dr. Part of me would love to see Boras get burned by having the Scrubs pull their offer off the table just when he's ready to accept. Part of me wants to see him go elsewhere to hear the Scrub fans cry about losing him again. Part of me wanted to see him go to the Dodgers, Giants, or Cards so he could get #300 at Wrigley AGAINST the scrubs. And just when I thought I couldn't hate the Yankmees any more than I already do...

What's a poor boy to do?

SMO