PDA

View Full Version : press conference wednesday/Pure Fantasy

soxwon
02-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Sox to announce signing of Greg Maddux.
This will shock the City.

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 10:08 PM
If anything its just another Guillen Fluff Conference.

soxwon
02-16-2004, 10:12 PM
im predicting a press conference it isnt set yet- but it will

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Hopefully this one will come true unlike the prediction you had before about the sox getting a-rod. :)

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Well you need to state that in your title. You got me excited there for a minute. The topic is very misleading

Daver
02-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well you need to state that in your title. You got me excited there for a minute. The topic is very misleading

I fixed it.

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 10:19 PM
im predicting a press conference it isnt set yet- but it will

Hopefully this one will come true unlike the prediction you had before about the sox getting a-rod.

Swear to the gods above if the yankees sign Maddux I'm going to have you banned from making predictions.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Swear to the gods above if the yankees sign Maddux I'm going to have you banned from making predictions.
Uh oh. Better hope that the word about Maddux signing with the yankees is wrong. :)

DrCrawdad
02-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Maddux had a good 2nd half of a season last year. The first half he was a batting practice pitcher.

In the past I've posted here about thinking how Maddux would do well as a Sox pitcher. But I'm not so certain now. IF Maddux were to sign with the Sox I can just see him getting his butt kicked at The Cell.

IMHO the Cubbies would have improved their team much, much more IF they had traded for A-Rod rather than long for an aged Greg Maddux. The Cubs probably could have got A-Rod for Alex Gonzalez plus a couple of top flight pitching prospects. They would have had an excellent shortstop plus a hitter who would have given them one helluva lineup.

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 11:19 PM
The Cubs probably could have got A-Rod for Alex Gonzalez plus a couple of top flight pitching prospects.

You better hope there are no Cubs fans around, they might go after you for suggest getting rid of the great A-gon.

RichFitztightly
02-16-2004, 11:24 PM
You better hope there are no Cubs fans around, they might go after you for suggest getting rid of the great A-gon.

People who don't know Cubs fans might think you're joking. But I know better. I'm still dumb-founded over the love-fest for Augie Ojeda.

DrCrawdad
02-16-2004, 11:28 PM

Yeah, the fear-inspiring Alex "Whiff-O-Meter" Gonzalez you can't get rid of him for A-Rod.

doctor30th
02-16-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm still dumb-founded over the love-fest for Augie Ojeda.

Pretty much you should make the statement read

I'm still dumb-founded over the love-fest for insert name here .

Cause they seem to do it alot with alot of bad players.

faneidde
02-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Pretty much you should make the statement read

Cause they seem to do it alot with alot of bad players.
Its better than all of the Sox fans who want to run Frank Thomas out of town. Cubs fans love losers, Sox fans want to get rid of the greatest player in franchise history.

jabrch
02-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
Its better than all of the Sox fans who want to run Frank Thomas out of town. Cubs fans love losers, Sox fans want to get rid of the greatest player in franchise history.

Ah - here we go again. Poor Frank - everyone hates Frank. Everyone treats him so unfairly. KW hates him. Ozzie hates him. The media hates him. The fans hate him.

It must really suck to be so hated.

Is it possible that none of this is even remotely true?

Cuz I have never heard anyone say, "I want to get rid of Frank"

I have heard people say that they would trade him for X prospect or Y player - but that is not the same as WANTING TO TRADE HIM. The reality is that if trading him will improve the team, either today or in the future, it is something to think about. What Frank did in 1992 is largely irrelevant in 2004. It is history. You know what Mike Ditka says about living in the past don't you?

faneidde
02-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Ah - here we go again. Poor Frank - everyone hates Frank. Everyone treats him so unfairly. KW hates him. Ozzie hates him. The media hates him. The fans hate him.

It must really suck to be so hated.

Is it possible that none of this is even remotely true?

Cuz I have never heard anyone say, "I want to get rid of Frank"

I have heard people say that they would trade him for X prospect or Y player - but that is not the same as WANTING TO TRADE HIM. The reality is that if trading him will improve the team, either today or in the future, it is something to think about. What Frank did in 1992 is largely irrelevant in 2004. It is history. You know what Mike Ditka says about living in the past don't you?
I was careful not to say anyone hated Frank, although some people are close. All the people who wanted to trade Frank for Odalis Perez were wanting to run him out of town. What the hell has Odalis Perez ever done? Frank Thomas has put up better career numbers that Sammy Sosa, yet the strike out prone journeymen is loved and the home grown Thomas isn't given the respect he has earned.

Hullett_Fan
02-17-2004, 11:24 AM

You must not know too many Cubs Fans. I'm a fan of both Chicago teams and can tell you my Cub fan buddies (as well as team message boards) called for them to get rid of A-Gon, saying it should have been priority one. However, not going to find too many teams willing to take on a Royce Clayton type (albeit with a bit more power) making $5mil this season.

Their lineup is still missing a bat (preferably lead-off) but that seems to be the only weakness and it will be addressed during the season if need be.

jabrch
02-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by faneidde
I was careful not to say anyone hated Frank, although some people are close. All the people who wanted to trade Frank for Odalis Perez were wanting to run him out of town. What the hell has Odalis Perez ever done? Frank Thomas has put up better career numbers that Sammy Sosa, yet the strike out prone journeymen is loved and the home grown Thomas isn't given the respect he has earned.

I hardly ever hear anyone suggest that we should trade Frank for Perez, straight up. Everyone here who supported trading Frank in a Perez deal said the deal would have to include at least Miller or Jackson and possibly Mota also.

Bobby Thigpen
02-17-2004, 12:38 PM

Tuffy Rhodes anyone? :smile: