PDA

View Full Version : There is only enough room for one Yankees

GOC
02-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Between the posts on this board and the discussions on the radio I've been hearing a lot of how this team , that team , our team , or even every team in baseball should be trying to be more like the Yankees . Well , to put it simply , thats impossible . Even if every owner in baseball had deep enough pockets to put up the kind of money Steinbrenner does and do it with as much competitive zeal as Steinbrenner does , there's no way every team would be a good as the Yankees . They are an anomaly . All-star caliber players are few and far between . The fact that one team consistently has such a high concentration of them necessitates that they be unique ( or close to it ) . If every team ( or even the average team ) had $200M to spend on payroll every year either they wouldn't be able to find enough good players to spend it on or , more likely , every player who ever hit .300 or won 15 games in a season would end up with $100m contracts . I'm all for every team being able to compete but we're probably better off with there only being one Yankees .

SoxxoS
02-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Does anyone ever notice if having a conversation about the Yankees with someone, you will list all the players they have, and then leave someone out, and the guy you were talking with adds that player...and you just go, "Wow. I forgot about X."

For example-
Me: The Yankees are unreal. AROD, Jeter, Williams, Posada, Giambi with a rotation of Vazquez, Mussina, Lieber...

"You forgot about Gary Sheffield and Kevin Brown"

Oh yeah.

Iwritecode
02-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by GOC
Between the posts on this board and the discussions on the radio I've been hearing a lot of how this team , that team , our team , or even every team in baseball should be trying to be more like the Yankees . Well , to put it simply , thats impossible . Even if every owner in baseball had deep enough pockets to put up the kind of money Steinbrenner does and do it with as much competitive zeal as Steinbrenner does , there's no way every team would be a good as the Yankees . They are an anomaly . All-star caliber players are few and far between . The fact that one team consistently has such a high concentration of them necessitates that they be unique ( or close to it ) . If every team ( or even the average team ) had $200M to spend on payroll every year either they wouldn't be able to find enough good players to spend it on or , more likely , every player who ever hit .300 or won 15 games in a season would end up with $100m contracts . I'm all for every team being able to compete but we're probably better off with there only being one Yankees .

When I talk about being the like the Yankees I don't mean spend mega amounts of money. I just mean that I would love to have an owner who won't settle for second no matter what. Instead we get this:

:reinsy

"It's always been a Cubs town"

SSN721
02-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I think there must be quite a few owners who are as wealthy as Steinbrenner, isnt the guy who owns the Twins one of the richest owners in the League? Steinbrenner just has that competitive drive I think most of us would have if we owned the team. I cant think of ny baseball fan who secretly wises that he owned their team. The amazing thing is that the Yankees seem to be the only team that can assemble a collection of all-stars and egos, and yet make them play together terrifically. I find it phenomenal that they make the playoffs every year, baseball is so unpredictable yet you cant count on them in the playoffs if not the World Series almost every year. I think it is quite an anomoly and no team I have seen has ever come close to the way the Yankees have managed themselves for the past decade and the majority of the franchises existence. Just remarkable.

sas1974
02-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
When I talk about being the like the Yankees I don't mean spend mega amounts of money. I just mean that I would love to have an owner who won't settle for second no matter what. Instead we get this:

:reinsy

"It's always been a Cubs town"

I agree. I don't think anyone on here is asking or expecting us to spend $200MM a year on a team, but would it kill them to make an effort? How about signing one or two $8MM-$15MM players? Not settling for just "being competitive" in a division we should own year in and year out as the only major market team in it.

rahulsekhar
02-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I think there must be quite a few owners who are as wealthy as Steinbrenner, isnt the guy who owns the Twins one of the richest owners in the League? Steinbrenner just has that competitive drive I think most of us would have if we owned the team. I cant think of ny baseball fan who secretly wises that he owned their team. The amazing thing is that the Yankees seem to be the only team that can assemble a collection of all-stars and egos, and yet make them play together terrifically. I find it phenomenal that they make the playoffs every year, baseball is so unpredictable yet you cant count on them in the playoffs if not the World Series almost every year. I think it is quite an anomoly and no team I have seen has ever come close to the way the Yankees have managed themselves for the past decade and the majority of the franchises existence. Just remarkable.

Big difference - Stein has NY and possibly the most storied franchise in baseball history (even before he got there). The revenues that he can bring in are unreal, and can never be matched by Minnesota. So the comparison is 1 guy who can spend a ton and still make money on his team versus another guy who would have to lose money and take it from his own pocket to accomplish the same thing.

Put another way - Steinbrenner without NY would still be very competitive and do everything he could to win. But that "everything" would be on a much smaller scale than right now.