PDA

View Full Version : Doug Mientkiewicz Signs

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Signed a two-year deal for $7 million with an option for 2006. He's going to make $2.8 million this year, $3.75 the year after, and the Twins have an option for $3.75 million for 2006 with a $450,000 buyout. This deal is being criticized by some because, even though he has stellar defense, they also have Justin Morneau ready to replace him. With that said, the critics continue to say that there wasn't any reason to give him a long term deal.

MRKARNO
02-16-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm sure they figure that if Morneau ever becomes anything real soon that they could trade Mientkiewicz and the contract will be long enough were they could get some value in return

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I'm sure they figure that if Morneau ever becomes anything real soon that they could trade Mientkiewicz and the contract will be long enough were they could get some value in return I agree, it's a fair contract that puts the Twins in a good position. Insurance if Morneau doesn't come around, and it is certainly a movable contract if he does.

Mickster
02-16-2004, 09:15 PM
I'll take Konerko and his 16.5m/2yr remaining deal over Mientkiewicz any day! :D:

SEALgep
02-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
I'll take Konerko and his 16.5m/2yr remaining deal over Mientkiewicz any day! :D: With salary aside, Doug was actually quoted as saying that even he would take Konerko over himself. And the his buddies recently traded who were with him jokingly agreed with him. However, salary is a consideration, so I too would rather have Doug. Konerko should rebound, so keeping him is fine if we can't move him, but ideally, moving his salary would be beneficial. Either he's going to the Dodger's or we have him for the next two years. We'll be fine either way.

gogosoxgogo
02-16-2004, 09:27 PM
That's a real good deal for the Twins.

minastirith67
02-17-2004, 12:55 AM
I really can't stand Doug Mientkiewicz....to me, he is worse than Sammy Sosa. A.J. Pierzynski also comes close.

SoxOnTop
02-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by minastirith67
I really can't stand Doug Mientkiewicz....to me, he is worse than Sammy Sosa. A.J. Pierzynski also comes close.

You'd love Mientkewlkjsdlfkjafcz if he was on the Sox. Especially at that price. I don't think the same would be said about Sammy.